Author Topic: reclaimed oil  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Cornbelt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: reclaimed oil
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 06:45:23 AM »

[/quotIve been amazed at how long the old B&S one lungers have run with little or no maintenance as long as they have oil in them, and about any oil too]

Had a PU like that once.  It used so much oil I quit changing it and just replaced the filters. Since I was working in a mine, every time they finished off a 55 gal drum of oil (any kind) there was usually a gallon left, which I used for the old PU. That's everything from gear grease to tranny fluid or hydraulic oil and transformer oil. That went on about a year before I got time to get it overhauled.
  Being a new engine, I decided to put Slick-50 in it. Good stuff it is. Too bad I didn't let the rings seat first. 40,000 miles later they still hadn't. Someone told me to sprinkle Ajax in the carb, but I traded it off. Not sure what the next guy did.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 06:59:13 AM »
WE have a board at work where we hang threads we find on the net. It costs us 25 bucks a man to compete in finding the dumbest remarks. The best we've seen so far is a clown that decided his new Hemi engine needed to be cleaned out so moron drained the oil, put a cup of Dawn in it and topped it off with water. Then he started it and held the gas to the floor. The moron then called the dealer to come get it considering he scattered it all over his front yard and wanted Dodge to put another engine it under warranty. He went as far as hiring an attorney. Yep, they do walk among us.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 07:24:33 AM »
What, no Ajax?

Offline keith44

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
WE have a board at work where we hang threads we find on the net. It costs us 25 bucks a man to compete in finding the dumbest remarks. The best we've seen so far is a clown that decided his new Hemi engine needed to be cleaned out so moron drained the oil, put a cup of Dawn in it and topped it off with water. Then he started it and held the gas to the floor. The moron then called the dealer to come get it considering he scattered it all over his front yard and wanted Dodge to put another engine it under warranty. He went as far as hiring an attorney. Yep, they do walk among us.

It will take some doing to find a dumber one than that, but I am certain someone will find a dumber idiot, eventually.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
Small engine shop owner told me that if people changed oil in their lawmowers, and never washed them with water hoses (while block was hot), it would put him out of business.

Offline Cornbelt

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »

It will take some doing to find a dumber one than that, but I am certain someone will find a dumber idiot, eventually.
Wait till the next election year cycles around. They'll be crawling out of the woodwork.

Offline moony

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
As an automotive tech for 20+ years, I can assure you, oil is cheaper than engines. These new cars with the reminder light that may take as long as 10K miles to come on is fine for synthetics, but in my opinion, the reason for the long intervals is because when Consumer Reports or whoever says that a car costs x amount of dollars to operate for a year, it looks alot better with only one oil change.