Author Topic: 6.8 SPC in a Contender ?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
6.8 SPC in a Contender ?
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »
Okay I HAD an MGM barrel for a Contender years ago and never fired it before selling it. I now have a bolt rifle in 6.8 and a set of dies, love the cartridge. I'm thinking of getting another pistol barrel. BUT I read somewhere that the 6.8 is too much pressure and could hurt/stretch the frame of my G1. It is a stainless with cats head frame so I'm guessing it's a newer G1 frame. Anybody know if the 6.8spc is safe to use ? Thanks.
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 6.8 SPC in a Contender ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ratgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:53:57 PM »
Great article and link,thanks :D. I guess the person who said that on another forum doesn't know what they're talking about. Now I really want to get another barrel. The 6.8 worked great on deer for me this year from my rifle.

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:34:19 AM »
6.8 is a great caliber.  Far better than the .223, which is not even legal for deer in some states.   

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
Okay I HAD an MGM barrel for a Contender years ago and never fired it before selling it. I now have a bolt rifle in 6.8 and a set of dies, love the cartridge. I'm thinking of getting another pistol barrel. BUT I read somewhere that the 6.8 is too much pressure and could hurt/stretch the frame of my G1. It is a stainless with cats head frame so I'm guessing it's a newer G1 frame. Anybody know if the 6.8spc is safe to use ? Thanks.
Just curious, which rifle (manufacturer & chambering SPC1 or SPC2)?  BTW, what is the difference between the two chmaberings?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
Gents, please take this to PMs.  This is a TC Handgun forum and discussing bolt rifles is off topic.
Keith (Moderator)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline deerman406

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
They are fine in a contender frame, and there is no such thing as a G-1 frame, there are Contender frames and G-2 Contender frames, they both handle the same pressures. I am curious as to where this G-1 thing has come from, never was a G-1 frame, ever. I had a 6.8 14" barrel and it was very accurate but liked the choice of 30 caliber bullets better so I bought a 7-30 waters barrel and never looked back. Kieth, we are discussing this in a Contender set-up, a bolt gun was just mentioned is all :) !! Shawn

Offline ratgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
The G2 is a Contender. Ofcourse there was never a G1 untill there was a G2. How could there be ? It's only used to differentiate between the original style contender and the new style. Sorry if that rubs some people wrong. I didn't coin the phrase I'm just using it. Thanks for the info. Keith is moderating with an iron fist  ;D

Offline deerman406

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Does not rub me the wrong way, it is just wrong. Whoever coined it was and is wrong, the strength of the frames is the same and some may even say the older contender model frames were a bit stronger. In my opinion it was a mistake to even make the G2 frame, if something is not broke don't fix it. I think the G2frames ecsp. the most recent look cheap. Too each their own! Have Fun! Shawn

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
The G2 Contender with a 6.8 SPC barrel is listed as stock #8720 on the T/C site.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2Contender.php
On the above web page, click the Specifications tab and it is the 11th row down.

If they list it as a production item, I'm fairly certain that it is a safe combo to use.  ;)

Offline speed

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »
Rat:  picked up a 14" 6.8 barrel last year because it was there.  Put it on my "G1" frame, bought a couple boxes of Rem UMC 115gr and without any prior sighting-in took it to an IHMSA match and shot it tolerably well (iron sights).  Accurate, flat, and just the right amount of power to be comfortable for 50 rounds (10 sighters and the match) while knocking rams over every time I could hit one.   So, I have also have fallen in love with this little round.  Now to find an upper for AR-15 in 6.8 (I'm new; am I allowed to say that here? ;-)

I've hunted with a .308 pistol (Competitor) but I think this 6.8 Contender would be a more elegant solution especially now that my arms & hands have "matured" a bit more.  Now, to work up some loads (if I can find components!)

Offline daniel2013

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
I just picked up a 6.8 15 inch barrel for my Encore.  Look foreword to see what it can do.

Offline cavemtnman

• Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
Bought a 6.8 for my Contender this past summer, had the chamber counter bored to use 30-30 brass, and it shoots great.