Author Topic: lots of good scope deals out there right now  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: lots of good scope deals out there right now
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
I guess because i dont agree with you im chest beating?? Id say my opinion is in good company as leupold probably sells vx2s 50 to 1 over a conquest and leupold for most of my life has been the first choise of most knowlegable hunters, guides, custom rifle makers and competitive shooters. Stop by a local benchrest competion some day and see how many competitors are using leupold and how many are using ziess conquests.  I guess if im wront im in good company. There also with the possible exception of night force scopes the first choise of  most police and military snipers in this country. Might be a good reason there the best selling premium brand of scope in the world. Like anything else though, when your on top some people dont like it. I never questioned sweetwhyominghomes itegrity. But like my opinion and yours its only one mans opinion. For the sake of argument ill still step back and say your right and im wrong. It makes me sad to think though that so many of us are wrong and are to blind to pay attention to the ones that are right. Nope, no chest beating here and i sure dont have any stock in leupolds company. Just posting the facts. 
Lloyd, let me see now you have 13 posts on this to my 2. Now whose panties would you say was in a wad.
I just didn't know if you knew who sweetwyominghome was. He's really well though of on several forums that deal a lot with TC firearms. Very knowledgable about optics & reloading. I've sought his opinion a few times. Always got a lot of good advise without all the chest beating.  :o a very gracious gentleman.  ;D

Regards,
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 12:59:54 AM »
Good point Bruce, and like you I don't know exactly how the color coatings of different mfg. affect our ability to see through them. Leupold has always been my favorite riflescope. I don't know why Lloyd has gotten the idea I don't like leupolds. I recently bought a conquest. Only one I own. Have not even mounted it yet on a rifle. And he's been arguing with me every chance he get about that ever sinse.

I do have some older German made zeiss riflescopes (3) to be exact that came on drillings I bought used. They are optically superior to any leupold I've ever owned, at least to my eye. I bought them used, in package deals with the Guns. I could not afford to buy one new.

Bobby is disabled now and I'm sure that's why he buys the scopes he does. When I first started reading his comments he liked and used Nikon monarchs. My friend in Alaska had a monarch on his weatherby, to my eye it was unusable. It was dim and not crisp. But Bobby though they were the cats pajamas. He has sinse switched to certain conquest models. I respect both of their opinions but like Lloyd I try different things and make up my own mind.

I don't like Nikon. The jury is still out on the conquest for me. I like the German zeiss riflescope but have a cash flow problem with them. I love leupold riflescopes of some models. I don't like the older vx11. And their varable scopes in general. I have a dozen or so older M8 3x scopes with different reticle. But my favorite is the leupold 6x42 with the heavy duplex.

But that's today. Maybe tomorrow ill find something I like better. It even could be the conquest if I ever mount it on something. But I suspect I may just buy a 6x IOR.

The one thing I do know is my eyes are changing and it scares me.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 04:09:29 AM »
Ill agree with you in that those german made ziess scopes are as good as anything made ANYWHERE and if another of the top shelf brands is any better its beyond my eyes to tell the differnce.. No doubt there superior to the run of the mill vx2 or vx3 leupold or the nikon monarchs.  I dont know how they compare to top line leupolds or nikons as my budget doesnt allow for scopes like that. My scope budget keeps me in the 200-800 dollar range and its usually capped out at about 500 bucks.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
Me too on the budget. That's why I bought the conquest. But after looking through it a little I'm not sure ill even mount it.

The IOR scopes are made in Romania & a few years ago were real sleepers as far as quality goes. I already own 2 of them both 4x. I would really like to try one of their 6x42. I just priced them and their $599. I know their glass is good but I'd need to sell something first. I may just buy a leupold 6x42 heavy duplex and save $200.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
Ive never even had hands on a IOR scope so ill have to trust you on that. I have used the 6x42 leupold but have never owned one. there a good scope and they too have  been upgraded lately so there probably even better then i remembered. Ive often came close to pulling the trigger on a 6x scope for a gun. they would work fine for alot of what i do but i guess i just have a mental block about paying more for a fixed power scope then what they get for a variable.
blue lives matter

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
Hi,not wanting to step on anybodys toes but just optical clarity is not the only thing importent to a hunting scope.Things such as yes optical clarity are certainly important but not the end all be all.Other things come into play such as agood long eye relief,Price,ruggedness,Warranty,weight,tube length for ease of mountability etc.
Binoculars and spotting scope may produce a fantastic clarity for example but totally unsuitable for strapping to the top of various different rifles.
All in all considering all the variables involved I think that Leupold on average have more of the qualities that  _I Personally want or need.
YMMV
Craig

YMMV
Craig

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »
Not to step on anyone's toes, but you'd be hard pressed to find many Zeiss Conquest or Leupold (especially vx2s) at a benchrest competition unless you are looking at the 1st timers who haven't yet begun investing in good equipment.  They just aren't in the same league as the high-end scopes used for benchrest.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 01:28:06 AM »
a valid point. But just a few years back you did see vari x IIIs and the fixed power leupolds of the day on competitive guns (at least around here)  and the newest incarnation of the vx2 uses the same glass and same mechanics as those old IIIs did. I wont argue that theres better glass for that job but some awful small groups were shot with those old scopes.
Not to step on anyone's toes, but you'd be hard pressed to find many Zeiss Conquest or Leupold (especially vx2s) at a benchrest competition unless you are looking at the 1st timers who haven't yet begun investing in good equipment.  They just aren't in the same league as the high-end scopes used for benchrest.
blue lives matter

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 05:57:29 AM »
I have been reading this. Yes, there are some good deals on scopes out there. And as usual, it ain't a leupold. They are so over rated and over priced. Never could understand why people went so gaga over them.  I have had all kinds of scopes since the seventies. Good and bad. I know Lloyd will jump in this conversation, seems to be an employee of Leupold or very die hard supporter. I bought a used Schmidt and Bender made in the late 90's, 3 x 9 x 40, the German one not Hungarian. It is better than any leupold I have ever looked through, even the ones of present,for instance , my brother has a Mark 4, does not compare, he get's pissed off every time he looks through my old S&B, he paid twice what I paid. I think they have lived off their name for the last 10-15 years. 20-25 years ago they were pretty good, they did not have a lot of competition. But, oh how things have changed. The only thing going for them is they have a good warranty. This is just an opinion on my part. You know the old saying, everbody has one. There are at least 5-7 better scopes out there better than Leupold for sometimes less money than the Leupold in the same category. Hope this does not offend anyone, but if it does, so be it. I  just think a lot of people don't like change.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
your sure intitled to your opinion but ill say this. Look high and wide at everywhere that sells scopes and show me where a Schmidt and Bender is half the price of a mark 4 leupold. Might be half price if you bought yours in the 70s and he bought his yesterday but thats sure not a fair comparison. this is more of a discussion on midrange priced scopes a nomal hunter can afford. Last i counted i had 19 bolt action and single shot rifles with scopes on them. Lets see 19x2000 bucks is just a bit out of my buget. You can still by a fixer up home around here for 38 grand. Nobodys arguing that these scopes are in the same class as german ziess, swarovskis, s&b or lecia. Ill add this too. Yup its your opinion but sure flys the aginst the opinion of most rifleman because Leupold is probably the best selling midpriced scope on the market. There only real competor in the 500 dollar range is nikon. Like i said if these two brands have me buffaloed then im in good company.
I have been reading this. Yes, there are some good deals on scopes out there. And as usual, it ain't a leupold. They are so over rated and over priced. Never could understand why people went so gaga over them.  I have had all kinds of scopes since the seventies. Good and bad. I know Lloyd will jump in this conversation, seems to be an employee of Leupold or very die hard supporter. I bought a used Schmidt and Bender made in the late 90's, 3 x 9 x 40, the German one not Hungarian. It is better than any leupold I have ever looked through, even the ones of present,for instance , my brother has a Mark 4, does not compare, he get's pissed off every time he looks through my old S&B, he paid twice what I paid. I think they have lived off their name for the last 10-15 years. 20-25 years ago they were pretty good, they did not have a lot of competition. But, oh how things have changed. The only thing going for them is they have a good warranty. This is just an opinion on my part. You know the old saying, everbody has one. There are at least 5-7 better scopes out there better than Leupold for sometimes less money than the Leupold in the same category. Hope this does not offend anyone, but if it does, so be it. I  just think a lot of people don't like change.
blue lives matter

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
If you would have read what I said a little closer, evidently you missed the word USED, from the 90's. I imagine it was $2000 new. My brother paid around $1300 for mark 4 new. I paid 650 used, and got twice the scope. I have owned at least 6 Leups, sold or traded everyone, and never missed them . I can afford a new S & B ,but I would not spend over a $1000 for any scope made. But, I do agree with you about some  Nikons, Buckmaster and Monarch UCC are good deals for the money. Well I guess you are in good company, if you get a chance look through a Minox ZA series scope or some of the Vortex scopes, both have just as good a warranty as Leopold and the glass beats a comparable Leupold  by quite a bit.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 01:48:38 AM »
I have one votex scope. A 2x7 viper and it seems to be a good scope. Optics are about on par with my vx2 2x7 and it cost a 100 bucks less. I dont know how rugged they are as they havent been around long enough to really be proven. As to the minox ive heard mixed reviews on them. Some say there opticaly great some say there mediocure. I am leary about buying them based on alot of problems they had when they first came out. they have probably addressed them by now though but how do you know if your buying a newer model or one thats been on the shelf for a while. I almost bought on of the minoxs camearland was closing out this month but just couldnt bring myself to do it and bought another 4x12 vx2 leupold instead. Yup i payed probably 150 bucks more then i could have gotten that minox for but to me anyway its peace of mind. when im out hunting i dont need to be worrying about if my scope is right or not.
blue lives matter

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
Lloyd,
You did bring up some good points . Leupolds are reliable. I have only had to send in one for repair. That is pretty good, considering I am pretty rough on equipment at times.  I enjoy your input in this section, you are like me in one aspect, you speak your mind from experience. I just was trying to make a point about the price of Leupolds. I have never said they were not good scopes, I just don't think you are getting the value for your dollar out of them anymore. I think their quality has gone down, especially in the lower end of their product line, but their price has increased to much for what you are getting.
Jerry

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 03:22:45 AM »
jerry im no fan of the friction ajustable leupolds be it the old vari x 2 or the old vx1 and feel a guy could do better for the money then what you got there and the rifleman is even worse.. Seening that the newest vx1 has the same glass and friction ajustments as the last generation vx2 and you can get one for 230 bucks id say there right up there with any manufacture in the bang for the buck catagory. I know my last generation vx2s hands down beat a nikon buckmaster in low light conditions and thats the biggest competition in that price range. I know a guy can make an argument for vortex, weaver, and a few more. But by the looks of it weaver is dieing and who knows with companys like vortex or minox if 20 years from  now they will still be around to service there products. Bushnell is another and make decent scopes in that price range but there customer service really blows and i wont buy from them anymore. I know when i buy a leupold that there made in america, will be here for the long haul and have and exemplary customer service dept. I know with nikon although not made in america, are servcied here and again will be here for the long haul and have a great customer service dept. I too have had good luck with reliability with luepolds. Probably better then any other but still have had problems as i have with just about any brand you can name. there mechanical and mechanical things wear and break. So i put alot of store in customer service. Its why i most buy nikon and leupold and its why when i buy loading gear i like to stick with rcbs, hornady and dillon. these companys bend over backwards to make you a repeat customer. I know maybe im a bit closed minded and should try a few others but ive never been let down by leupold and nikon so i just cant see looking for an answer that theres no question to. They may not have the best optics on the planet or may not be the absolute best built scope made but there optical performance and reliability is pretty dang good for the money spent and good enough for this bull headed old man.
blue lives matter

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Mueller speed dot 1-4X scope? 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2013, 01:22:47 AM »
Only mueler i have is a let reticle 3x9 I won at a whitetails banquet and put on my inline. Its a decent scope opticaly but the elevation and windage ajustments are kind of vague and sloppy and it doesnt have the greatest eye relief.
blue lives matter

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2013, 04:25:09 AM »
One thing not often mentioned about Leupolds is their resale value. You might  "pay for the name" when you buy a new one but sell it used and someone else will pay for the name. I'm far from an expert, but if I see a gun in the used gun rack and it's wearing a Leupold I can come pretty close to knowing the value of the scope in the deal. If its a "no name" scope I usually give it little value and if is a more common brand I still consider it a bit of a crapshoot. I too think a person's eyes are a big variable in scope selection. Also,once I dial in a scope, if it stays sighted in where I want it I don't change it. Others may value repeatability in adjustment where for my use it matters little to me.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »
Only mueler i have is a let reticle 3x9 I won at a whitetails banquet and put on my inline. Its a decent scope opticaly but the elevation and windage ajustments are kind of vague and sloppy and it doesnt have the greatest eye relief.

Thanks.   8)
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:19 AM »
One thing not often mentioned about Leupolds is their resale value. You might  "pay for the name" when you buy a new one but sell it used and someone else will pay for the name. I'm far from an expert, but if I see a gun in the used gun rack and it's wearing a Leupold I can come pretty close to knowing the value of the scope in the deal. If its a "no name" scope I usually give it little value and if is a more common brand I still consider it a bit of a crapshoot. I too think a person's eyes are a big variable in scope selection. Also,once I dial in a scope, if it stays sighted in where I want it I don't change it. Others may value repeatability in adjustment where for my use it matters little to me.

I'm with you toaster on the mechanics of a scope. I sight it in for one gun & load and leave it as long as its still holding zero. The friction adjustments really don't bother me as long as the scope will hold zero.
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »
I am a solid die hard Leupold scope owner for many many years. These days, you couldn't run fast enough to give me another manufactures scope.

I don't own any nikon, burris, bushnell, simmons, tasco, mueller, minox, vortex, zeiss, schmidt & bender or swarovski. I am sure I missed a few, but if I didn't list them I don't/won't own them.

I do have four each Japanese scopes,  Two Weaver's V-9 3-9x38 and RV-7 Rimfire 2.5-7x28, One (free) Japanese Redfield Partner SE 3-12x44, One (free) Japanese BSA 4x32 AO air rifle scope. My Japanese scopes are good, but if they every fail only Leupold's can replace them.

Leupold's are the only scopes for me, they have exceptional quality, great customer service, stellar full lifetime warranty. I currently only own 10 Leupold's ranging from Vari-X II's, VX-III, VX-II, FX-II and VX-I's. Only two were purchased new, they others I bought off auction sites saving me hundreds of dollars. I do like click adjustments, but really frictions are no worry, just set them that's it.

yooper77

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
I am a solid die hard Leupold scope owner for many many years. These days, you couldn't run fast enough to give me another manufactures scope.

I don't own any nikon, burris, bushnell, simmons, tasco, mueller, minox, vortex, zeiss, schmidt & bender or swarovski. I am sure I missed a few, but if I didn't list them I don't/won't own them.

I do have four each Japanese scopes,  Two Weaver's V-9 3-9x38 and RV-7 Rimfire 2.5-7x28, One (free) Japanese Redfield Partner SE 3-12x44, One (free) Japanese BSA 4x32 AO air rifle scope. My Japanese scopes are good, but if they every fail only Leupold's can replace them.

Leupold's are the only scopes for me, they have exceptional quality, great customer service, stellar full lifetime warranty. I currently only own 10 Leupold's ranging from Vari-X II's, VX-III, VX-II, FX-II and VX-I's. Only two were purchased new, they others I bought off auction sites saving me hundreds of dollars. I do like click adjustments, but really frictions are no worry, just set them that's it.

yooper77

Every Leupold I have is canted, but if you send it in to Leupold they won't fix it if it's less than 4 degrees cant.

I blew the top off a 2X VXII handgun scope when it was on the .475.  They repaired it and I can put it back on for long range shots, but why bother?   That was $300.  Ultradot is half the price and it's stronger. 

Offline yooper77

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »

yooper77

Every Leupold I have is canted, but if you send it in to Leupold they won't fix it if it's less than 4 degrees cant.

I blew the top off a 2X VXII handgun scope when it was on the .475.  They repaired it and I can put it back on for long range shots, but why bother?   That was $300.  Ultradot is half the price and it's stronger.

I think you meant either, FX-II 2x20mm handgun scope or VX-III 2.5-8x32mm handgun scope?

Either way, I would gladly take all your canted Leupold scopes off your hands, for free of course. :D

Funny, none of my Leupold's are canted, but I guess I got lucky.

I bought a used Leupold FX-II 2x20mm handgun scope in silver for $135.00 off an auction site, it retails for $350.00 not a bad deal. Its currently on my T/C Encore 15" 338 Federal barrel, awesome piece of glass.

yooper77

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
ive owned AT LEAST 25 leupolds through the years and never have had one or even seen one with canted crosshairs. I dont recall every even hearing about one from anyone else on even the internet. Ill add this too. I dont doubt your problem with the leupold handgun scope but in my and just about every other avid handgun guy i knows opinion there is NO TOUGHER handgun scope made then a leupold. back when i used handgun scopes i had 2x leupolds on some very hard kicking handguns. Guns that made just about everything else fail quickly and never had one lick of trouble with them. Bottom line is any scope can go bad. there a mechanical device and even the best can be broke. But your opinions of leupold sure fly in the face of about every experienced shooter i know.
blue lives matter

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 05:07:34 AM »
ive owned AT LEAST 25 leupolds through the years and never have had one or even seen one with canted crosshairs. I dont recall every even hearing about one from anyone else on even the internet. Ill add this too. I dont doubt your problem with the leupold handgun scope but in my and just about every other avid handgun guy i knows opinion there is NO TOUGHER handgun scope made then a leupold. back when i used handgun scopes i had 2x leupolds on some very hard kicking handguns. Guns that made just about everything else fail quickly and never had one lick of trouble with them. Bottom line is any scope can go bad. there a mechanical device and even the best can be broke. But your opinions of leupold sure fly in the face of about every experienced shooter i know.

6mmbr has an article on Leupold's canted scopes.  Scope cant doesn't really matter.  As long as the turret is level with the rifle, come-ups move up and down, not left to right.  Leupold scopes come apart.  Ask me how I know. 
If you hurt anything on your Leupold, that means it is your fault, you will pay for it.  I actually did also fail an Ultradot.  Ultradot sent me a new one. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 12:15:28 AM »
I guess until i see one of those canted scopes myself ill continue to doubt it. Could be too that its a problem with the rifleman line and i dont buy those so i just havent seen it. Ill also add a leupold customer service experience i had to argue your other point. I had a old vari x 2 2x7 on a rem mountain rifle. the scope was about 12 years old at the time. I had it propped up against the wall in the living room and knocked it over and it landed right on the scope. It jammed the power ring and it wouldnt move. I sent it to leupold and told them what had happened and that it was my own fault. Got a package in the mail a few weeks later with a brand new scope free of charge. the letter said the power ring was jammed and the tube was bent on the old one. do they do that every time? I dont know as ive owned like i said probably 25 of them through the years and that was the first one i ever had to send back for work. Theres not another brand of scope ive owned that hasnt gone back for work that wasnt caused by me. Some like burris and bushnell that in my opinion should about come with a flat rate box for return shipping when you buy them. Id have to say my nikons have been pretty good. I think ive only sent one back that i can recall which puts them right in there with leupold for reliability. Good thing there is i did have some binocular troubles both there fault and mine that needed addressing and in both of those cases there customer service dept was as good as leupolds if not better.
blue lives matter

Offline yooper77

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »
6mmbr has an article on Leupold's canted scopes.  Scope cant doesn't really matter.  As long as the turret is level with the rifle, come-ups move up and down, not left to right.  Leupold scopes come apart.  Ask me how I know. 
If you hurt anything on your Leupold, that means it is your fault, you will pay for it.  I actually did also fail an Ultradot.  Ultradot sent me a new one. 

I seriously doubt you would find a truly canted Leupold scope untouched from the factory. If you take a Leupold optic apart and it breaks, then I feel you should pay for your novice treatment. I do understand how you can find a canted reticle since you take them apart.

I have never heard of Ultradot?

yooper77

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 03:45:18 AM »
I've only had experience with 4 companies on optics warranties.  I had a pair of Bushnell binoculars I bought new and had for years. When they went bad I called Bushnell  about sending them in and the lady I talked to gave me a price for fixing them. I asked her how she knew what it would cost to fix them without examining  them. She stated that  was what the repair fee was.Period. I assumed it was their cost in a new pair of binocs and I junked them. The second was a Redfield scope I had gotten on a gun trade. Too many rounds of 12 gauge slugs did it in. I sent it in (Colorado) and they completely went through it for free. The third was a pair of Nikon Travelite binoculars that I bought new and self-destructed after many years. It cost me shipping both ways and I think $20.00 fix it. I remember how it fell apart  when looking at optics and haven't bought anything labeled Nikon since. I probably should have thrown them away also. They had a coupon when I bought them for a free bird feeder. I still use the birdfeeder. The last was a Leupold 2 1/2 power scope that I bought used and it didn't seem like it magnified as it should. I e-mailed Leupold and they sent me a label to send it in. They then sent me a postcard letting me know that they received it, left me a message on my answering machine saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it after going through it, and if I had any questions to call them. No Charge! The scope was returned  and seemed brighter to me. Maybe it just needed a good cleaning but I know I was a happy camper.
       I pay for car insurance,health insurance, homeowners insurance, blah,blah,blah. I consider part of the cost of a Leupold optic insurance. I know if any thing happens they will repair it free and seem to want to earn my business. I figure piece of mind is worth a little something.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »
I've only had experience with 4 companies on optics warranties.  I had a pair of Bushnell binoculars I bought new and had for years. When they went bad I called Bushnell  about sending them in and the lady I talked to gave me a price for fixing them. I asked her how she knew what it would cost to fix them without examining  them. She stated that  was what the repair fee was.Period. I assumed it was their cost in a new pair of binocs and I junked them. The second was a Redfield scope I had gotten on a gun trade. Too many rounds of 12 gauge slugs did it in. I sent it in (Colorado) and they completely went through it for free. The third was a pair of Nikon Travelite binoculars that I bought new and self-destructed after many years. It cost me shipping both ways and I think $20.00 fix it. I remember how it fell apart  when looking at optics and haven't bought anything labeled Nikon since. I probably should have thrown them away also. They had a coupon when I bought them for a free bird feeder. I still use the birdfeeder. The last was a Leupold 2 1/2 power scope that I bought used and it didn't seem like it magnified as it should. I e-mailed Leupold and they sent me a label to send it in. They then sent me a postcard letting me know that they received it, left me a message on my answering machine saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it after going through it, and if I had any questions to call them. No Charge! The scope was returned  and seemed brighter to me. Maybe it just needed a good cleaning but I know I was a happy camper.
       I pay for car insurance,health insurance, homeowners insurance, blah,blah,blah. I consider part of the cost of a Leupold optic insurance. I know if any thing happens they will repair it free and seem to want to earn my business. I figure piece of mind is worth a little something.

I only buy Leupold scopes since they are made in the U.S.A. and your customer service experience mirrors mine. Their quality and warranty is next to none. I buy most of my Leupold's 50% or more off retail price and they still come with the same warranty.

I am not surprised on how you were treated from Bushnell. I owned a few Bushnell's that I received for free, so I gave away for free. I advised them that if the Bushnell breaks, too throw it away since it wasn't worth the cost in repair.

I never owned a Nikon, but I know some are made overseas and I am not sure if any are made in the U.S.A.

I made a mistake in buying a used Burris scope once and dealt with their customer service, so I returned the scope for a full refund. I got lucky and never looked at another Burris optic.

Andrew

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »

I seriously doubt you would find a truly canted Leupold scope untouched from the factory. If you take a Leupold optic apart and it breaks, then I feel you should pay for your novice treatment. I do understand how you can find a canted reticle since you take them apart.

I have never heard of Ultradot?

yooper77

Leupold won't fix it if you don't have more than 2 degrees.  That doesn't mean college degrees.