Author Topic: melting pot  (Read 881 times)

Offline carlsflh

• Trade Count: (3)
melting pot
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »
getting ready to melt down a bunch of lead and alloy it is there any problem using a old alum. pressure cooker without the lid on a propane turkey cooker been trying to find a cheap cast iron pot to use but no luck

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
Re: melting pot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »
If this were a stainless pot, I might use it.  Aluminum, definitely not.  My experience with propane & aluminum is that the aluminum melts, which equals a mess!
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:17:09 AM »
If this were a stainless pot, I might use it.  Aluminum, definitely not.  My experience with propane & aluminum is that the aluminum melts, which equals a mess!

Go to Harbor Freight and get their big cast iron pot.  It is a nice companion to use even casting. I also use it to catch the sprues after cutting.  It is like a good holding area for the stuff before it goes in the pot.  I also keep the thermometer in there when not in use so it is protected by the lid. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »
One problem with using aluminum pots for melting lead is there isn't a definite color change before the aluminum pot comes apart. Everything looks fine, a few pounds of melted/liquid lead, then suddenly, no bottom to the pot and melted lead everywhere...

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
One problem with using aluminum pots for melting lead is there isn't a definite color change before the aluminum pot comes apart. Everything looks fine, a few pounds of melted/liquid lead, then suddenly, no bottom to the pot and melted lead everywhere...

Aluminum muffin pans also worked horribly.  I had to cut the muffins out. I got that advise from Cast Boolits.  There are some who use everything.  Some even can't spell the word bullet. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
Yep, Harbor Freight dutch oven. Cheap and works well. You can sometimes find them at flea markets/yard sales too. Never use aluminum, it is very dangerous as has already been mentioned.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »
I used cast pots for years until i was smelting one day and went in the house and came back out to a big glob of lead on the floor in the barn. the cast pot cracked right in half. Granted it was an old pot when i got it and had seen many many lbs of ww but anymore i use a stainless stock pot.
blue lives matter