Author Topic: H & R Topper 158 30-30  (Read 578 times)

Offline Grandpa Crusty

• Trade Count: (0)
H & R Topper 158 30-30
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Had a chance to signt-in my, new to me, 1970 H & R Topper 158 in 30-30 yesterday. I've mounted a new Redfield 2 x 7 x 33 scope on a new rail and am very pleased with the set-up. Will need to get a hemmer extension.

What made the shooting not so good is the very, very stiff trigger. Almost impossible to get a tight group. Did mamage 4" groups @100yds. using Winchester 150gr ammo.

Is it fairly easy for a good gunsmith to reduce the pull weight of this trigger down to around 4lbs and get it smooth?

thanks!  Grandpa Crusty

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Re: H & R Topper 158 30-30
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
Same problem with mine.  See the FAQs for trigger fix.  Just fyi...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:11 AM »
You dont really want to have to PAY somebody to do this simple little job, do ya? (besides, not everybody who has a 'gunsmith' shingle knows how to work on Handi's)
Meanwhile, as it is an old model it may actually be dry inside. Try spraying a LITTLE lube in there. If you cock it (unloaded, of course) and hold the hammer back you can direct some spray down into the notch and sear area. Ive even used can gunoil by dripping some on the inside face of the hammer and holding the action so it can flow down into that notch by letting it flow and rotating the action. (it helps to visualize the hammer and notch and just where you are trying to get oil to go since it is out of sight). Once some oil is down there settle the trigger/sear into place and 'work' the parts to get oil on both surfaces.
The nice thing about the older models is that the actual burnishing of the parts into each other has likely taken place and all you really have to do is get some suitable lube on them. If the above doesnt help much and you have to knock it apart I recommend using automotive anti-seize compound on the notch and sear with NO stoning of the parts at all. Just disassemble, clean and dry, anti-seize on the notch and sear ONLY, oil the pin holes in the hammer and trigger, etc. and reassemble. This usually results in at least a 50% improvement in the trigger pull.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:20 AM »
I've done most of mine... the sticky info is good... go slow and easy, you can do it with little skills... there are also step-by-step videos on YouTube... I was happy to find that the new guns have better triggers... I will stone and polish them anyway when I get around to it, but they are good enough to be serviceable out of the box.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.