Author Topic: Blurry red dots  (Read 646 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Blurry red dots
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Here is my dilemma......  my eyes hate red dots.  I don't know why.

My vision is fantastic so the doctors say, and I can see things near and far without a problem.  Seeing things like nikon bdc reticles and the likes are clear as a bell.

Then I go to a red dot, and my eyes say...   screw you buddy!  And turn it into a funny shape, or distort it up or to the side so it looks like a smear.

I know its not the sight, because after using a half dozen or so of these things, it happens with all of them, and at times I can blink or stretch my eyes, or whatever and they go back to being clear..... for a second... so it's gotta have to do with something of my eye lens or moisture.

So is there anything that you guys have found to be effective at reducing the glare or whatever I should call it that makes my red dot a waterbrush painting?  I can still see the brightest center of the dot and shoot effectively, so it's more annoyance than anything, but I'm sure I could improve my accuracy if I could make the dot seem clearer. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Blurry red dots
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
To me, some red dots are just not as sharp as they should be, but I wonder if it is the way you look thru the sight?  Maybe try focusing only on the target, then try only on the dot?  I have had good luck with Ultradot's and Burris.  You might want to see if you can find a sight that has an adjustable diopter, similar to a magnified rifle scope - that might help.  For target shooting, some guys use those small apertures you attach to your glasses to sharpen up the sight picture, so that might be something to try on your shooting glasses.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
I have found the dot is crispest with the power setting as low as possible and stil see the dot.
Also found I have to wear my glasses, but thats not your problem.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:14:57 AM »
The best description I have heard of how to choose the intensity setting is to find the balance of a setting that lets you see the dot clearly when looking at the brightest background in the area and which does not exhibit "flare" when looking into the darkest part of your target area.  As a general rule the brightest setting is not the best as it will lead to flare and a fuzzy dot when looking into dark areas or when the target is much darker than the background.

This is sometimes hard to do, especially with lower priced sights, in situations such a hunting the edge of dense forest canopy when you might need to shoot out into bright light or find a good sight picture in deep shade.

Generally, the more intensity settings the sight has the easier it is to adjust properly.  For instance, the military's M68 Close Combat Optic (CCO) has settings from might vision compatible to bright enough to spot on the brightest day against the lightest target.

Lance

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:52:41 AM »
theyve allways been a tad blurry and lopsided to me too and it doesnt matter if its in my 500 dollar aimpoints or my 150 dollar vortexs. I guess it doesnt bother me. I didnt buy them as precision sights for shooting groups i bought them to be fast.
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:13:18 AM »
Had the same problem....was mild astigmatism....had my right contact adjusted!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:29:55 AM »
I shoot red dots quite a bit in competation and defineately see a big difference with a quality dot compaired to a 1-150$ model.

I find that using the dot on its lowest setting helps considerably. I too have a astigmatism and that's a big negative with this problem.

Talk with your eye doctor, a special lense in a old set of frames may be your resoultion... I am luck enough to have a eye doc who is a shooter in my league. Many shooters use him. There is a very nice set custom made for shooters too...  I have been wanting a set of shooting glasses for a couple years...don't know why I never ponied up my self...

http://www.tacticalrx.com/page24.php

Aim points are huge dollars!! I have been lucky enough to pick up mine used form other shooters moving ''up''...  I have seen a few here in our classifieds, maybe try one?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »
Well this last time home I went and did a good bit of practice.

Found out one of my problems is straining my eyes.  Gotta shoot both eyes open with those red dots I guess.  If I try and close the other eye the stress on my strong eye definitely throws it off.  After a good bit of practice with both eyes open, I don't get half of the corona around the dot and blur I used to.  Those light reflecting sights definitely are sensitive to the eye, that is now doubt.   Not too big of deal with the fastfire on my pistol,  like the both eyes open.  Going to take a minute to get used to is on the tube style red dots though.

It actually prompted me to start training both eyes open on other optics also, so far, so good.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."