Author Topic: What is the best way to fire form 22 hornet brass to 22 k hornet  (Read 1583 times)

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Hi guys :D   I could sure use some help on fire forming these cases.  Can you please give me some suggestions on the best techniques that have worked for you.  Always appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: What is the best way to fire form 22 hornet brass to 22 k hornet
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
Just shoot them.  For the K-Hornet, there really isn't any better way.

Tony

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
I have some 55 grain FMJ pulls that were given to me that I used along with 9.0 grains of Lil'Gun. Any cheap bullet will work or as Geezerbiker said just shoot any safe 22 Hornet load or bought ammo and it will work. Since mine did not cost much, I just shot them into the ground, but suspect they would shoot good and you could use them for rough zeroing in your scope and such.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
I'd say buy the cheapest .224" bullets you can find and at least plink with them for fun.  I find my forming loads (usually the lightest load in the book) shoots pretty close to point of aim.  Then again, I don't hot rod my Hornet loads.  I went with the K-Hornet for brass life not more power.

Tony

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys! 

I'm going to try the load that LaOtto222 recommended.  Looks like a mild mid range load.  I'm looking forward to some pretty new brass.  Never fired a 22 k hornet before.  Lucky I had some regular hornet brass to fire form from.  Say that three times fast ;D

Hope to show you the results from this first loading.

Appreciate the help!

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:50:07 AM »
Cast bullet seated way out and light book load.  Some of my friends partially sized the hornet case to accept a 270 bullet and then fireformed with cast 270 bullet to make a 270 Ren case.  (270 Ren is basically a straightwall hornet brass.)

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
My 22K Hornet is a Handi that was stubbed with a heavy 20" Douglas barrel with 1 -14" twist. It shots very well. I did not do any load development at all. The following pictures were shot at 100 yards and were the only loads tried.

Here is the rifle - BTW it has a 4 - 12X Banner setting on it.

It does shoot very well, maybe better if I did some serious load development. I can recommend the 22K Hornet to any one. I do not have a desire for a 17 Hornet, since I can get 3150 fps with a 34 grain bullet and 12.8 grains of W296 and it is a beginning load. I might be able to get 3300 fps, if I pushed it.

One more thing - I only used new cases (Remington) to fire form my 22K Hornets. I have not lost a single case. Not sure what the results would be if you used once fired or older cases.

Good Luck and Good

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Thank you for the input.  I fire formed a bunch of brass with moly coated 55 grain sp and at low velocities on pd's and they just poked holes through without much expansion.  I switched to something with higher velocities for more effect on the dogs ;D   

Wish it grouped like LaOtto222's gun did!  I got about 3 inch groups but no concern since it was just fire forming.  Still have to fire form a bunch of brass.  I will have some newer shooters do it for me as it will give them some experience and entertainment at the same time[size=78%].[/size]

Thank you for all the help!

Bulletstuffer

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:48 PM »
I just fired a few boxes of factory stuff when I had mine reamed to the K chamber.  Mine also holds groups to dime size with good handloads.

If you are shooting a single shot (like I am) you can neck size only, and not set the shoulder back.  This has given me the best case life and groups.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:49:16 AM »
I just fired a few boxes of factory stuff when I had mine reamed to the K chamber.  Mine also holds groups to dime size with good handloads.

If you are shooting a single shot (like I am) you can neck size only, and not set the shoulder back.  This has given me the best case life and groups.
+1 on the neck sizing

Offline Sourcenemy

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:03 PM »
Ive never fireformed a case but been with a mate when he did his K Hornet cases and he/we found out one thing if your out shooting on a cold day keep your ammo in your pants pocket to keep them as warn as you can, couse first 10 he shot he had them laying on the bench and 7/10 cracked and after those he put 20 at a time in his pants pocket and by doin that  he got 0/10 cracked;)

So keep your ammo warm and cosy;)

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
To the who haven't been splitting cases: Are any of you annealing the case necks on a regular shedule? If not, them perhaps some brass is better than others for the K conversion?

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 04:51:11 AM »
I've only used new Winchester and Remington brass.  I've never bought loaded ammo.  I use the lowest load in my books for 2400 with the cheapest bullets I can get.  I've had case splits but never during fire forming.

I was given a bunch of loaded Hornet rounds from an estate and I plan to pull them down, pop the primers and anneal before reloading.

Tony

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
have you looked into using COW, and Bullseye?

IIRC, you fill the case with BE, and then weight that powder amount

divide by 10, and use that amount, top up to the top with COW and shoot it, holding it staight up.

if you need to, plug the end with crisco so you can load it easier. 

if it doesn't fully form out, increase by 1%, then 2% etc until you get fully formed shoulders.  use that amount for further fireforming.

this is going on memory, I'd have to check my books, but IIRC Ken Howell used the 10% BE technique.

before you try this, do a bit of research, to ensure the amount of BE....  any other fast powder would also work.

Offline urjustamemory

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »
 I am wondering if its possible to fire form to the K hornet, by just using a primer?  I will be using PPU ammo which I have heard has a 30% failure rate while forming due to the high amount of pressure. Was thinking about pulling the bullets on them and emptying the powder and trying it then.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
I think that would be just a waste of primers with no forming...

Tony