Author Topic: handi rifle/.50 muzzleloader  (Read 1892 times)

Offline firweed1969

• Trade Count: (0)
handi rifle/.50 muzzleloader
« on: February 18, 2004, 03:28:33 PM »
I recently made a post on the single shot rifle forum about the accuracy of the huntsman barrel w/ only one response, so I thought I'd try again here. I bought the handi rifle in the youth .243 and was thinking about sending it off to get the muzzleloader fitted so my 11 & 9 yr old could have a longer hunting season and get the feel of hunting w/ blackpowder. Can anyone tell me what kind of groups I could expect and what kind of loads to use. It would really be helpful if someone has info on light loads (for kids) like around the 30,40,50 grains of powder using this barrel. I also have a question about the trigger, does anybody know if H&R will lighten the trigger on these guns when sent back for new barrels. I have heard that they would and there again I have heard that they won't. I would like to know as the trigger pull is every bit of 7lbs(sort of makes it hard on a 9yr old to hit the bullseye if you know what I mean).
It only gets worse with age

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 04:20:39 PM »
firweed1969;
i ordered my huntsman barrel through the barrel acc. program and had it mounted on a partner shotgun frame.
at 50 yards it wil put 3 rounds through the same (cloverleaf shaped) hole
others on the old h&r, nef fourm also reported great accuaracy with the huntsman.
my load of choice is;
                85grans pydrodex (loose)
                hornady .45 cal xtp 300grain
                traditions 45/50 sabot

aside from the telescopic ramrod......the huntsman is a very user friendly gun.

the last i heard.....h&r will reduce the trigger pull down to 3lbs free of charge while the reciever is in for the barrel fit.
but to be safe you might want to call there customer service to be sure.

sorry i cant help much on reduced loads the above load is about as light as i have loaded......but im sure that you can work-up a lighter recoil load.

Be Safe
TCB

Offline raynor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 01:04:20 PM »
In the Huntsman try 30 grains of Triple 7 with Knight sabots. I use the 45 caliber sabots and load with 185 or 200 grain cast SWC's, ones for loading in a 45 ACP. At 50 yards, ragged holes with 5 shot groups and no recoil to speak of. That's the load I'm using in the postal, didn't want to give that info up quite yet. Oh well, since you asked.  Give it a try! ~~ SV

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 02:02:51 PM »
Firweed1969,

With everything I've read so far, NEF does lighten the triggers for free when you send a reciever in for a barrel fit. My Huntsman is producing 2 out of 3 rounds touching at 100 meters using 60gr. of Triple 7 and a 460gr. " no excuses " lead bullet, thats with a spit dampen patch run through the bore after each shot. I started with 80gr. and reduced by ten after a 3 shot group, my first 3 round group was printing 5 inches, 70gr. netted the same results, 60gr. worked great ! Good luck, glad to hear you are involving your children. :grin: