Author Topic: Neck sizing die in .243  (Read 492 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Neck sizing die in .243
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Do neck sizing .243 cases work. I have heard in the past that with the taper on .243 it is hard to neck size. Thanks, Don

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Neck sizing die in .243
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
"I have heard in the past that with the taper on .243..."

Nonsense, .243 neck dies work as well as any.  Lee's collet neck die is perhaps the best available, at any price.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
To neck size any cartridge including the 243 with normal dies, all you have to do is raise the die up. If you go by Lowes/HD and buy a 1" washer and put it under the die when neck sizing only. Make sure the stem is punching out the primers and go with it. I'd try a few first and make sure they chamber in your rifle. You'd be surprised just how many rifles that will shoot full sized reloads and factory ammo have the chamber not perfectly centered. Neck sized brass may require indexing the brass to fit the chamber.

Offline George Foster

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »
It was never that neck sizing 243 was hard to do it was "Partial Rezing" that is hard to do.  I neck size 243 cases all the time with my Forester neck sizing die.  I fee that is you want to neck size you are best off using the proper die to do so.  Generally speaking I just set my FL dies to push the shoulder back 0.001 to 0.002, I find that works better than neck sizing and I get long brass life that way with excellent accuracy also.
Good Shooting,
George

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
If you mean is hard to neck size .243 with a standard FL die, then what you were told is true and that's why neck dies are made.  If we only needed to turn an FL die up a bit no one would need a real neck die.  ?

I can tell you that neck sizing anything rarely accomplishes anything good but everyone has his own opinion to test.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
I have FL sizing die for the 243 and Lee collet die. Collet die works very well. Partical sizing works very well also. draw back of non collet dies is the expander ball always streachs the case's some, collet dies don't. To partical resize everyone claims to bump the shoulder. I don't buy that. Instead come short on the shoulder a couple times and the case won't chamber again without FL sizing. At that point start screwing the die down about an 8th turn at a time. Size and try that case in the chamber. Keep doing that until the case chamber's freely and the case doesn't rub on the bolt face. You cannot bump the shoulder and make the case work properly without doing some FL sizing. But once you get the die set so that the caswe that would not chamber, chambers easily, you'll be moving the shoulder very slightly and if you move the shoulder at all, the die walls will come into contact with the walls of the case and move it just a hair. That would be a properly set FL die for the rifle's chamber. Only draw back is the FL die still squeezes down the neck and expander ball opens it up just a bit and the case streachs a bit every time.