Author Topic: Case Cleaning  (Read 604 times)

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Case Cleaning
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
Anybody using an ultrasonic case cleaner and if yes, what model, are you happy with it? and what solution do you use?  I have been using an old tumbler for years and may be ready to take the plunge into ultrasonic if the rewards are there.
Thanks in advance...
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Offline Ranger99

Re: Case Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
there's one here somewhere from a few
weeks back with several pages on
that very subject.

18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline SteveHawaii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »
I have a small Haier I bought off Ebay a few years ago for about 40 bucks.  Can clean about 50 cases at a time.  I use a solution of 50% water and 50% vinegar and a bit of dishwashing soap, Dawn I think.  Works great.  Still experimenting with it.  The more I tinker the better it works.

Hope this helps.

Steve
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
Tablespoon of citric acid, dollop of washing up liquid (I too like Dawn), a quart of hot water and five minutes. Cleans and passivates the brass.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:01:37 AM »
Rol Page:  the ultrasonic cleaners take a lot more attention than the tumblers require, although some guys absolutely swear by them they still have to use a tumber or try to move Moma's casserole out of the oven to get the cases dry.  I would not suggest that if you want dinner that night (lol).....

I have a Dillon tumbler that I really appreciate.  I fill it, turn it on and go do something else for about half a hour to 45 minutes or so and the brass comes out nice and clean and shiny.  I use a mix of corn cob and walnut media to clean the brass and still use some of the Dillon blue case cleaner if I haven't changed out the media in a couple of years - and yes, I clean and reload a bunch of brass but the media lasts a long time. 

I usually de-prime my cases after the first tumbling and then depending on how much dirt/crud I see in the primer pocket I may tumble again before reloading.  The last time I tumbled brass I tossed in 300 380 acps and 100 30-06s and 45 minutes later they all looked almost new.  I think I need to clean up a bunch of 357s next. 

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »
Thanks for all of your comments fellas..  I am using a tumbler followed by  a 50/50 cider - water and dish soap wash.  Seems to flush out a lot of black particles...  I am too cheap to buy the ultrasonic machine now, so I put the brew and cases in a large plastic peanut butter jar.. Just shake it a few times and let it set, then flush with clear water and a little baking soda to neutralize the cider acid..  Take a little planning ahead to allow for drying time, but I think it is worth it.  Thanks again.
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member