Author Topic: 257 Roberts in Ruger no.1 or custom Mauser?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Libraryhound

• Trade Count: (2)
257 Roberts in Ruger no.1 or custom Mauser?
« on: May 23, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
I want to build a 257 Roberts on a old Mauser action but love Ruger no.1s. Which one would make a better long distance shooter? Could the Mauser handle +p loads? If Mauser action any one better than the other? And on a custom barrel length is 26" about right for the Roberts? And what twist for heavier bullets? 
H&R carbine classic frame with topper deluxe 20ga barrel & 444marlin barrel(pending), Ruger no.3 in 444marlin(pending), Ruger Mark III standard 6", Ruger Super Blackhawk ss. 44mag Talo 3.75", Savage hog hunter 223 rem, Glock 21sf,

Offline D Fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 257 Roberts in Ruger no.1 or custom Mauser?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:35:49 AM »
If I wanted a really accurate rifle I wouldn't built it on a falling block single shot. I probably wouldn't use a mauser either. Seems to me the most successful accuracy rifles are round actions. I lusted for a #1 years ago. Finally found one in  the cartridge I wanted and walked away from it, 25-06. I think it was always something I though was out of reach and there it was. Dream was ruined!

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
My Ruger #1s are very accurate. It sounds like you need a #1B with a 26" barrel. I have a friend that has one and he loves it.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »
The 257 R. is not the best choice for a long range game rifle.  Choose the 270 for deer etc.

For varmints the 257 would do ok at longer ranges but why bother with it anyway?

It's obsolete and not easy to find.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »
i kind of agree. the 257 is a good 300 yard deer gun and either one of those platforms would do that easily. I like my little 22 inch 1a. Its as compact as a little lever gun an although its not a 1/2 shooter will shoot just over an inch at a 100 and thats plenty accurate for what its used for. personaly if im going to step up to the weight of a 1b with a 26 inch barrel ill take out by b in 2506. It takes better advantage of the 26 inch tube and adds 50-100 yards to the effectiveness of the gun.
blue lives matter

Offline Libraryhound

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:54:43 AM »
 The reason I am looking a 257 Roberts is because I like the 7x57 case family. I wanted a lower recoil longer range cartridge. That my younger children or wife could use also. It won't be used that offten here where I live where must shots can taken with a slug out of a smooth bore shotgun. But I would have a rifle that I could use out west. All the old timers that sit and talk at the gun shop down the road, have their stories of taking old Mausers that came from the battle field and turning them into a beautiful deer rifles. So I'm just romancing the idea of a 257 Roberts in a mouser action. Also Roberts ammo is on the shelf here so obsolete and hard to get are in the picture for me. Plus I am a hand loader.
 I like the Ruger no.1 but have never thought of it as a long distance shooter. I was looking if someone has used them as one.
I think of 300+ as long distance. I am lucky to find a shot over 100 yards here.
Thanks
Libraryhound

H&R carbine classic frame with topper deluxe 20ga barrel & 444marlin barrel(pending), Ruger no.3 in 444marlin(pending), Ruger Mark III standard 6", Ruger Super Blackhawk ss. 44mag Talo 3.75", Savage hog hunter 223 rem, Glock 21sf,

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:16:08 AM »
 I think you would enjoy a Mauser more than the Ruger #1. Big difference in triggers. For accuracy, a light, "breaks like a glass rod" trigger is essential. I have never had nor shot a borrowed #1 that could come close to a properly tuned Mauser trigger or any aftermarket trigger ( I prefer Shilens, but have used Timneys, Basix, Canjar ) Also, a Mauser in Sporter weight will still be easy to shoot, yet better balanced than a #1B. Now, having said that, a little #1A Light Sporter with a Leupold 2.5x8 in .257 Roberts would be pure joy to hunt with, and, if you had a good rest, will easily take deer out to 300+ in your Roberts. also, its not hard to find #1 factory rifles with superb wood already, all you would need is a new barrel. So, a Mauser with cheesecake marble English walnut and a superb trigger or a handy #1 with equally nice wood (though not so great trigger, but workable) with a medium or compact sized scope, you are in the berries!
BTW, some of the biggest headaches I ever had to deal with was trying to get a #1 Light Sporter .270 to shoot! I finally traded it off for a Mod 70 Classic FWT. The FWT was in 7x57 and I barely got IT to shoot! Rebarreled it to 30.06 and was back in business, ha. Good luck to you.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:00:30 AM »
one thing to keep in mind is Money!! It will cost more to build a mauser and unless its a high dollar build by a known gunsmith thats in demand youll never get back out of it what you spent if you ever sell it. I know some say they will never sell a gun but ive found tastes change and if nothing else when your gone your wife may need to sell it to pay bills. A #1 ruger in 257 is very easy to turn over. Nothing wrong with a custom if you want to go that way but do it with your eyes open. You can eaisly dump 2k plus into one and theres no guarantee it will be a shooter even spending that much. As to triggers a good gunsmith can bring a #1 trigger down to 2lbs and a crisp pull for under a 100 bucks. A couple of my long range guns are #1bs. Ive never been left wanting more using them. Only downside i see to a 1b for what your doing is there a bit on the heavy side. But then a custom mauser with a 26 inch barrel would probably weight as much or more.
blue lives matter

Offline Libraryhound

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »
  Lloyd Smale and RevJim thanks for the advice. I might just look for a used Mauser  or Ruger no1 in 257 Roberts. I found lots on gunbroker. Putting lots of money in a long distance shooter that I won't be useing a lot, maybe not right now.
Libraryhound

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »
There is a gunshop in Ohio that makes a beautiful break barrel single shot. It comes with killer wood and your choice of caliber. That's the route I would go.  :D #1 & custom bolts end up toooo heavy for my tastes.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:46:04 AM »
I have some experience building out mausers. It can be hit or miss on results for the DIY, but with some patience (I stress the patience part) and an abundance of aftermarket parts they can me made to shoot as accurate as anything out there. You can do it on a budget and have a rifle worth as as much or a little under market value. That is my way of building it. Sending it to a gunsmith will get you a very nice rifle with more money in it than what it is worth. However, it will be unique and valuable to you if it shoots well. Just depends on what you want. Mausers especially the M98 long or intermediate actions were built to oulive the user in very harsh conditions. The strenth of the action is beyond doubt even for magnum rounds.
I have never owned a Ruger 1 so I have no experience there. However, I do play with and customize handi rifles ( I know different leauge, but work with me here) and love the single shot concept of it as well. Both, with some tweaking, can be made to be a fine accurate weapons, but the mauser holds the edge with its rich history.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!