Author Topic: SB1 & SB2 receiver comparison for different pressure calibers  (Read 1143 times)

Offline MAN - GA

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Maybe the experts here can shed some light on this - My local gun store has several SB1 framed 357 and 44mag guns and I really want one in 357 to ream out for the Max, but I don't want to invest in the gun withh the SB1 receiver.  Yes I know I can get an SB2 gun ini another caliber and then go through the accessory barrel program to make what I want, but that is just more cash.   Does anyone know what the pressure chamber  cutoff is on the SB1 receiver and still be safe.  The SAAMI specs I am getting straight from the SAAMI online source is as follows:
357mag is 35,000cup
44mag is 36,000cup
30-30 is 42,000cup
35Rem is 37,500cup
12ga 3" is b/w 12,500 and 13,000cup
45-70 is 28,000cup
I guess what I don't understand is why the 45-70 is put on an SB2 frame and the 357/44mag is put on SB1 frames with such drastic pressure differences.  What am I missing here other than the fact that the 45-70 can be loaded up higher in modern firearms (like the Ruger #1, Encore, Handi) and the factory doesn't want liability?   It seems there isn't alot of pressure difference between the pistol mag calibers and the 35Rem or the 30-30 either, but maybe the mid - 35,000 pressure is the cutoff for the SB1.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: SB1 & SB2 receiver comparison for different pressure calibers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:12:54 AM »
I have a 357 Maxi on a SB1, no worry for me.  It's covered in the FAQ.  It's only an issue if you want to add rifle calibers for a switch barrel set up.  In that case buy the rifle barrel and add the 357 barrel later.  That said, latest info from the factory was they were out of 357 mag accessory barrels.

I'll let others chime in, but as I recall NEF offered a factory 357 Maxi back in the day and it was on a SB1 or it's equivalent.

I over analyzed the whole pressure thing before I reamed my 357 mag SB1 to maxi too.  ;)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:04:06 AM »
Hello Man-GA,

WELCOME TO GBO!

Go grab a coffee and sit for a spell, we have some reading for you!! :)

This is a topic we have spoken about quite allot in the past. Take some time over I the FAQ's and you will learn allot!!

The collective accepted maximum for a SB1 receiver is 40K cup. Now this changes a bit with case head size but for general purposes figure on that.
Something also to consider is accepted reloading practices. Like 45/70 and 45 Colt for example. BOTH are will under the limit for the SB1. But NEITHER. Are adviseably put on a SB1 because they are always loaded to levels above the limit. In both there cases they have large case heads, this in effect will LOWER the 40K maximum with them.

Again all this is covered ten times over in the FAQ's ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
I recently bought a 357Mag factory on an SB1
then I bought a 22 Hornet and it came on an SB2....

go figger

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »
This has been discussed before, the 357 and 44 mag Handis were switched to SB1 frames in 2008 to make a less costly offering to take advantage of the Indiana pistol chambered rifle deer hunting market, it was market driven, pure and simple. They started making combos too, 357/20g and 44/12ga, Both the 357 and 44 mags prior to 2008 came on SB2 frames. H&R's cost of R&D for a new offering is $20k, there's no incentive to do the testing for an offering that's not marketable like the 22 Hornet, in fact the Hornet has been discontinued.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
I can't figure out if the Hornet is discontinued or not.  A few weeks ago my local dealer didn't list any for sale.  Now they have 13 in stock.  It was 15 last week.  Bud's now has them too.

http://hitekestore.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=77603

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/89083/New+England+SB2-S24+HANDI-RIFLE+SYN+22HOR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »
That's not surprising considering how many have been made, but it's not been in any H&R catalog after 2007, some distributor might have dumped a bunch of em or H&R made a run of em at a distributor's request, they'll do that for a minimum order of 250 guns. Able appears to have them in stock too. Davidson's doesn't list the Hornet at all.

Tim

Offline MAN - GA

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
Thanks guys I will have to get better at reading the FAQs I guess I missed something or searching the wrong key words.  I have reviewed the H&R barrell accessory website and understand what fits what receiver, but it doesn't explain why.  I totally understand the market driven approach that quickdtoo references.  As a side note my local dealer has a couple .22 Hornet rifles on the rack I just can't remember if they are pallet wood or synthetic stocked if anyone is interested I know they will ship and about 4 weeks ago they were $229.
THANKS

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
Just a note on the 357 Maxi.  While you're deciding if you want a SB1 or SB2 frame keep your eye out for brass.  Brass is more or less feast or famine.  Right now it's more of a famine.  Brass can be found but you'll need to be on the look out.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »
As a side note, there is a 22 hornet on the online site right now:

H&R Handi-Rifle™ http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp

I have also asked Brian56 and he had not heard they were being discontinued.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
It may be like the 357mag and 450Marlin, discontinued as complete firearms for several years, and only available as accessory barrels.

Tim

Offline MAN - GA

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 03:02:57 AM »
My goal with the .357 gun is to leave it as a dedicated gun - my local gun shop has them for $219 or $229 (don't remember exactly) and this is about the best pricing I see after looking at internet sources.  I am trying to use this as a close range deer gun for my 7yr old son and then as time goes on and possibly finding some .357max brass I can ream and load those.  I do reload and have all the stuff for the .357 already I just haven't actually loaded any in about 15yrs. 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 03:40:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  We have several other good Southern boys around here, and from one to one Make yourself at home.

The 357 is excellent for young shooters.  At age 8 my grandson shot his first deer with one.  Of course he did so with his eyes closed and shaking like a leaf, but that ain't how he remembers it! :D

I recently sold my 357 mag/max to another Ga. boy, Atlaw, who lives up in Kennesaw, and regardless of what you may hear, is a fine guy indeed!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)