Author Topic: New 223 rem Handie Report  (Read 788 times)

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New 223 rem Handie Report
« on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:40 PM »
Well I was at Gander Mtn a couple of weeks ago and picked up a new Handie 223 rem with the tappered barrel for $199.00.  I had them throw in a barrel crown kiss job by there gunsmith before I left the store as part of the deal. The gunsmith used a Brownells barrel crown repair tool on it.

When I got home I took a cleaning rod with a bore mop attached and applyed some Flitz metal polish to the mop.  I gave the bore about 100 strokes with the mop full of Flitz metal polish.

I then cleaned out the bore with some break cleaner.  I then ran a couple of patches of Hoppies #9 thru the bore.

I then floated the fore arm using a piece of rubber on the barrel lug.

I mounted a Tasco 6x24x40 Mag IV scope ($80.00) on it using Millet Angle-Loc (med height) mounts.

Yesterday I got up to about 40 deg here in Minn so I set up my portable shooting bench, put a by-pod on the Handie and set out a traget at 25 yards.  (25 yds is all the farther I wanted to march thru the snow)  I did some shooting and the results were:

Using cheap gun show reloads of 55gr soft points and fired 25 shots threw the new gun.

The first three shots were high about 3" and right about 2" and in about a 4" spread for a group.  :evil:

Made an adjustment to the scope for zeroing.

The other 22 shots were in a group that you could cover with a quarter.  I didn't think this was to bad conceidering that my fingers were cold and I haven't done any trigger work yet on this gun.  I think I have a keeper in this gun.  :grin:

Just thought I would share this info with you guys.  8)

Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 02:19:47 PM »
Way to go !!...I also have a NEF Handi .223. It is very accurate. I love this gun !!    :D

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 03:18:08 PM »
Yup... I think the .223 is next on my list.  
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline jeff223

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 03:36:04 PM »
Dick,you are tring to tell us it cold there. :shock:
i sure will be nice to have winter end.im sick of it

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 03:41:53 PM »
The temperature hit 42 degrees here in SE Wisconsin today. It was nice.
We still have about 5-6 inches of snow on the ground. When I go on stand for yotes, I walk thru that 5-6 + inches of snow for about 1/2 mile to get to my stand..and then back thru it to get home. No wonder I sleep well at night.   :lol:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 04:03:34 PM »
MD
I just completed a successful swap of my Marlin 336 in 35 Rem for a new 223 Ultra Varmint.  Sounds like you got a keeper for sure.

I hope mine does as well.  I have to wait 10 days to pick it up (stupid CA law) and get a scope.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Maine Woods

• Avid Poster
223 Handi
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 02:31:43 AM »
I recently bought a well used 223 Handi rifle came with 4X simmions ( rings it was all set up ) $150.  at my local hardware store / gun shop. After I got home and was cleaning and inspecting I relized this gun may have had a Hard life before I got and was concerned it might not shoot well at all.  It does shoot very well ! I am also plauged with cold high winds and snow so havnt shot as much as I would like but it likes Winchester bulk pack ( 40 bullets) 45 Gr. hp  $12.98 at Wal mart. I am only shooting at 60  and 75 yards ( lasered )  but most 5 shot groups can be coverd with a nickle 10 or 15 shots will stay inside a quater. Thats off the hood of the truck rolled jacket as a rest and low power scope !  These guns will shoot. I am now a big NEF fan.   sure looks like the 223 is a must have barrel if you have one of these guns.

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 02:53:00 PM »
jeff223 said

Dick,you are tring to tell us it cold there.  
i sure will be nice to have winter end.im sick of it

Jeff223 ya it's cold, even when it in the 30's with the wind blowing of the snow. Just remember, I just got back from the Love Boat and it was 85deg and sunshine all week long  :-)  , and am still trying to adjust back to Minn weather.

Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline jeff223

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 02:59:28 PM »
its cold here too.we had a brake in the weather yesterday and today,it got above freezing.even made it up to around 40

Offline stevex

re:223
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 03:16:13 PM »
I purchased a used 223ultra right after christmas and I put a Bushnell 6-18x50 on it.It shoots like a dream.After I zeroed it in at 50 yds.(all the room I had)I shot 5-5 shot groups and each one could be covered with a nickel.I sited it in the first week of January and it was kinda cold.I cant wait till the weather warms up into the high 40's or low 50's so I can try to shoot some tighter groups.I might even enter the Postal Match.

Jeff223 where in centralMI do ya live?
I live in the Cedar Springs area.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 03:18:12 PM »
:D , Maine Woods you old dog you, what a great deal on your gun!! Happy for you that your .223 shoots good (actually it sounds as if it shoots GREAT!!). You are some lucky I was not in that store ahead of you, you made a great deal on your .223 with a scope and rings, you ought to be able to pay for it with coyote pelts before it gets warm this spring, at least before the mud comes out. I'm not sure where you are but my camp is in Bradford and I hunt coyotes a lot off the Golden  Road south of the Abol Bridge. Perhaps after my new hip heals up and I can get out on snowshoes again we could get together for some coyote hunting. A friend has a BIG house in Millinocket  and a camp on Ambejejus, we usually coyote hunt from that area and deer hunt out of my camp. Actually I think I won't be able to get out on snowshoes this year but I'll still try for some coydogs in a couple of months. This is a personal invitation to you and others to come on up and join us on the new forums Mr. GB has set up dedicated to individual interests, Shotgun, Centerfire, Rimfire, Muzzleloading and hopefully a miscellaneous section, try it, you'll like it .....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 03:29:30 PM »
As much as I like the cold weather for hunting, it's no friend of target shooting, or working up new loads. I haven't been able to push target stands into the ground, for months. I have been using the snow/ice to hold them up, but the wind here has been pretty strong all winter. I'm ready for Spring! Speaking of which, I saw the first groundhog of the year out today, that's always a good sign, and they make great targets. :)
Don