Author Topic: SIL Wants to Buy A Tumbler  (Read 795 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
SIL Wants to Buy A Tumbler
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
30 years or so I bought a UV-18 Tumbler tumbler for approximately $45.  Now they are over $300.  I can recommend the UV018 to the SIL but I know that he cannot afford it.  He has not told me but I think something in the $45 to $100 range fits his budget.  He still has a child living at home. 

My recommendation is to get the one with a large electric motor. (Magnum)  I have heard that RCBS and Hornady  made in China.

I have encourage him to get his own tumbler. 

I am going to make a few calls to friends that have bought tumblers the last couple years to see how they feel about the product the purchased.

The subject may have been discussed recently.  If so please provide the link.

Thanks
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: SIL Wants to Buy A Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:37:31 AM »
I'm a low volume shooter and I use my Lyman1200 wobbler/vibrator. I've had it for about 8 years and it's still working fine. I do about 100 rifle cases or mebbe 150 handgun cases at a time with corn cob blast media and plastic chip mix. I only paid $40.00 or so and I think if one needs cleaned/polished brass, the Lyman will do the job...

I've experimented with home made rotary tumblers, have a HF rotary for tools, parts, and brass, but the Lyman works OK...

(BTW; I couldn't boycott L.A. as they gave me a paycheck every two weeks for 25 years)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:05:04 AM »

I'm in the same boat as MDI.  Amazon has the Lyman 1200 pro for $46 shipped right now.  Heck, for that price I might pick up another one.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:19:38 AM »
I've got a Cabelas brand vibratory tumbler that I have used for many years without a hiccup, and they won't break the bank but I believe any of the tumblers made now will do a good job.  Tell him just pick the color and price he can live with and use it.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:35:46 AM »
Lyman is a company I don't think much of but I have to say, I have their bigger tumbler that was bought in the mid 80s and a 1200 that's 7 years old and they work fine for my smaller jobs.  Haven't had a minutes trouble.  I'm willing to bet you're gonna be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't have a foreign made motor nowadays regardless of brand.  I'd say YRU's suggestion is gonna be hard to beat.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »
I bought the smallest Midway vibratory case cleaner many years ago and it keeps working.  It came in a bucket full of media - don't think they still offer that deal but for a small volume loader it works fine.  I think they rebranded it Frankford Arsenal now too.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:03:22 AM »
Dand and others:

A couple years ago a hunting partner bought a vibratory tumbler from cabala's in a kit.  It was a Frankford Arsenal and I must admit that I was impressed.  I called him yesterday evening and confirmed it is a Frankford Arsenal and he likes it.

I will pass this on to him.  After all these years I am glad to see him get setup. 

I think Tumbler Tumbler has price them selves out of range for the majority of shooters.  I know that I could not afford a replacement from them.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 03:18:51 AM »
It seems like all the loading tool companies are going to sonic cleaners using liquid (I think).  I'm not sure why but it may be to control dust - the vibratory cleaners can produce a fair amount of dust and it may have a fair amount of lead in the dust from the primers and bullet residues - just guessing.  I do all my case cleaning in the garage to keep the dust out of the house (and I have no room + can run it over night).  But I'd hate to deal with drying cases out from a sonic cleaner.   
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 02:34:43 AM »
Dand from the pictures you have posted you have invested in some Lyman gear.   I passed some advice along with my thoughts to SIL.  One of my thoughts was to buy the largest you can afford with a large motor.  I also told him that does not mean you can overload it but the higher amp motor in theory should give longer service and a cushion.

My Tumbler Tumbler has been going strong for many years but they have priced themselves out of consideration for many reloaders.  The model I have now goes for over $300. 

A friend of mine bought a low price one on sale from Cabala's a few years ago and it has been a good performer.  When I visited his bench it was doing the job.

I suggested that he look up the different models and read the reviews noting that the internet review process is flawed.  But check it out.

Having dropped the Tumbler Tumbler from consideration I felt the Lyman 2500 PRO Magnum fit "my" criteria.  Scary when a relative ask for advice.  I also advised him regarding the use of anti-static sheets to pickup dust and debris in the bowl.  I also recommended a couple common automotive products he could use as an additive.  With a limited budget I suggested that he not buy the model with the pour spout.

I told him what feed store he could buy ground walnut shells.  And warned him about the over sized ground corn cob that the wife had bought me at the pet store.  I spent a lot of time digging that stuff out of bottle neck cases from one run.  I donate the remained to a granddaughter for her pets.

He called yesterday and said he bought the Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum from Sportsman's Warehouse for $85.