Author Topic: New Encore 44mag barrel or buy an H&R/NEF Handi in 44mag for Indiana deer?  (Read 987 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
I've been hunting for years with my old trusty Puma 92 44mag and I've got all my handloaded ammo stacked up pretty deep in the 44mag.  I'd like to try a scoped rifle this year, and I'm debating on going with another barrel for the encore I already have, or for the same or less money just buying an H&R handi in 44mag.  My first priority here would be that if one is more accurate than the other, that'd be my pick.  Otherwise it's a toss up that would probably land on the side of the encore. 

Anyone else have any experience with either or these two setups?

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
I do not have any experience with Encores, but I do and have owned several Handi rifles. I too reload and have several of my resources tied up in the 44 mag specifically for deer hunting. Great cartridge. The handi's are great rifles, but can, not always, be a project to get them to shoot good and even great. All the DIY fixes are outlined in the Handi FAQ secion on this forum and are relatively easy to accomplish. I like the lego aspect of the Handi system and do a lot of my own customizations. Doing this on a under 300.00 rifle system is a little easier on the ole conscience than a more expensive platform, especially if I bubba it instead of customize it. Been known to happen sadly. I enjoy the tweaking to get the accuracy, so the work I put into one is a plus for me. I free float and bed all my action/barrels. Most if not all have custom stocks,bed the scope rails so it will never, ever move, etc...
So I guess it is a toss up in my book. Easy way, get the the Encore barrel.  vs  The maybe not so easy, but can be equally rewarding, depending on your DIY skills, and getting to explore another rifle platform for about the same amount of money Handi rifle. The latter would win me over personally.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
I know this is a little late, so i do not know if you bought a rifle or barrel yet. If I was going to stick to the 44 Mag and not ream it for a 445 Super mag, I would get the H&R rifle. I have one and it shoots good enough for deer or other big game at reasonable ranges. Here are a couple of pictures of my rifle and a target shot with it.

Shot at 50 yards with a 1.3X power scope

The cost should be some where between $250-$300 and you would not have to change barrels. If you want to ream it to a 445 Super mag, then I would go with the T/C Encore, because the action would handle it better. If you could find an older H&R 44 Mag, it may have a bit stronger frame than a new one. The older ones were based on a steel frame and the new ones are based on a cast iron frame.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
I'd say stick with the Encore, it will be less expensive.

The Handis fit me better but you can't stop at one. You'll have 12 or more before you know it. They multiply like rabbits ;D

teddy, I thought you were already an addict :-\

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
I am a diehard Handi fan, but will recommend adding another barrel to your Encore. That way you won't have to learn another trigger, cheek weld, etc. MGM makes great barrels, I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Anymore I'm more of an accuracy nut and a long range enthusiast.  Whatever I buy I'm going to see what kind of distance I can cleanly take a deer at.  I didn't want to mention this part of it at first because I wanted an unemotional comparison between those two options, but I'm leaning towards the encore because I took the first deer of my life with that rifle.  I'e bought and sold Handi rifles like they lawnmowers without any real connections with the rifles, but my encore is probably going to be something that gets passed down to my only son or some grandkids.  Even with that said it's hard to justify a $300 plus barrel for an encore when I've already got the 209x50 muzzleloader barrel for it that's been paid off for years.  Another option I'm considering would be the Puma 92 scout in 44mag.  I just love 92's and the scout scope setup really appeals to me.  I'm still on the fence in lot of ways and thinking about all the options.  I'm not in any hurry to make a purchase.