Author Topic: Maybe We Could Learn from the Russians?  (Read 292 times)

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
Maybe We Could Learn from the Russians?
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:33:45 AM »
Would make some on here very happy I think?

From International wing of NY Times:

April 1, 2013, 4:48 am 2 Comments Repression in Russia, in Black and White By MASHA GESSEN MOSCOW — They came for the human rights activists, the environmentalists, the L.G.B.T. activists, the Catholics and every other nongovernmental organization they could find. Throughout the last week and a half, authorities all over Russia have been conducting raids on nonprofit groups.   
The work of the nonprofit sector has been effectively paralyzed.
   There have been at least a hundred raids, and hundreds more are expected. The raids usually involved the prosecutor’s office and the tax police, but some organizations have also been visited by the fire marshal, health inspectors and even the Emergencies Ministry. The authorities have demanded financial documentation but also sifted through the trash and taken apart air-conditioners.
NGO staffers have been posting on their blogs pictures of stacks of binders and papers — the thousands upon thousands of pages of documents assembled to satisfy the authorities’ demands. The work of the nonprofit sector has been effectively paralyzed and, if the raids continue, will be for months.

“Why now?” Western media have asked. Were the Russian authorities this scared by last year’s protests? Has the liberal part of the elite lost out to the hard-liners? President Vladimir Putin has in turn issued an obtuse defense of the raids, claiming that they are at once routine and a response to an extremist threat. With the Kremlinologists trying to read meaning into nonsensical attacks and the Kremlin obscuring any sense that can be found, Russia has never looked more like the Soviet Union.
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline Anna

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Maybe We Could Learn from the Russians?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »
 (Russia has never looked more like the Soviet Union.)

Like we have any room to talk ! We are well on our way with the leaders we have now .
Its always easer to look from the outside in but we also need to take in how the average Russian
sees what's happening right here in our own back yard !
" America the land of the not so free " is very over taxed and has its own para military police state.
We have Russian commies, Chinese commies , European commies , and now N. American commies !
The whole thing is shaping up to be just which commie will end up calling all the shots !

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Maybe We Could Learn from the Russians?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:44:04 AM »
Exactly!
Swingem