Author Topic: Bersa thunder .380  (Read 1206 times)

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
Bersa thunder .380
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
   4 or 5 years ago I picked up one of the black on nickel .380 bersas to carry when 4 wheeling. I didn't get it as a day to day carry piece but rather just as one I wouldn't mind getting covered in dust or possibly wet. The bersa was inexpensive and seemed solidly built. I bought it and a few boxes of shells. It went through those boxes on my next outing, had some stovepipes and the decocking lever and the safety added confusion..it was quite different from my usual glock or revolvers. Didn't fall in love with it but it shot. Cleaned it up good and did note the next box of ammo went through like a sig might do it. Not a hitch.  Didn't shoot it again after that, but not long after I was doing something inside, when I heard a tremendous commotion outside. Figuring already what it was, a distant neighbors pit bull in my yard, I grabbed the little .380. I had no intent of shooting the fairly friendly dog, but he was a known cat killer and when he'd escape his fence he'd ALWAYS come to my house and my dogs would go nuts trying to get to him, the cats have always been lucky enough to escape him. I decided next time he came i'd put a few shots behind his butt on the way back across the yard torward home. I came out the door yelling and the pit took off. I sighted 10 feet to the left of him to give safe margin and pulled the trigger. Nothing. I stopped and stared stupidly at the gun. That dumb safety... I took the bersa back inside and chucked it in the safe. Left it there for 3 or 4 years.

Pulled it out not long ago and fired it back up. It runs flawlessly and I have to say its really an accurate little pistol. I can track a coke can across the yard and its right on target, rarely miss out to 15 yards or so. It would easy take small game out past that. Really like the sights and it sits easy in my hand. Got used to the safety and try to stay away from the scary decocking lever. I'm sure its safe but dropping the hammer on a live chamber defies logic, to me. Anyways, it is turning out to be a pretty nice little carry gun for me in the woods hiking, scouting or 4 wheeling, I trust it more and really appreciate its pointability, I hit what I want to with it. It still hasn't jammed again using assorted cheap hardball ammo.

Anyone else use one of these and what do you think of yours? Any known weaknesses in this pistols design and is their upgrades and accessories anyone would recommend? Also any holsters that really work well with yours? Thanks for reading,  j

Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bersa thunder .380
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:31 AM »
I've had one of the .22 Thunders for a couple of years, shot mostly CCI Blazers thru it, function has been 100% so far.  Haven't shot a huge number of rounds, but it's accurate and a fun little plinker.

Like you say the sights are excellent, and I'm impressed with the overall look and "feel" of quality.  Never been a fan of DA/SA autos, but it's not hard to get used to it after a while.

Been using a Bianchi open top belt holster (the one with the Mickey Mouse rubber ring that goes over the hammer, forget what they call it), and although it's listed for the Bersa it's more of a universal fit and isn't that secure without using the o-ring (which is awkward).  I just bought a leather Bulldog Cases holster for my LC9 and I plan on ordering one for the Bersa as well.  Best part is Natchez has them on sale for $11.99!

Bersa has mags, holsters, etc on their website.  Also check Condor's Flight, they have everything made for Bersas.

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
 Thanks for the reply Spruce, started figuring they were a piece of junk and I had the only one left. Like a yugo that got parked brand new and garaged for 5 years. It would be the only one on the road  :D

Good to know about the factory store, havn't been there yet. Did find a nice hard cordura molded holster by biannchi that is made for a sig P230 but it fit the thunder like a glove. Its just a standard belt carry design, good for the trail but not for CC.

Am gonna reload for this little pistol I think as its my plinker and the one I'll probably now shoot the most. Might even cast for it. The more I use it the more I like it.  J

Offline Coonhound

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
I have had my Bersa .380 for about 14 years.  I bought it when I was in Cali. right before the state was going to put some new gun restrictions in effect.  It sat un-used for about 5 years before I took it to the range.  After going through a few mags of ammo I was very impressed with it's accuracy.  I moved to NM about 4 years ago and now have my concealed carry permit.  When I carry I take the Bersa to town.  I also have the .22- it is a cheap practice pistol built on the same frame as the .380.  The only time I had a problem with feeding was when I was using an after market magazine...I forget the name of it, maybe it was promag. But with a second mag made by Bersa, no hitches.  I have every confidence in this great little gun.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »
i know a few pretty savoy gun guys that swear by those 380 bersas.
blue lives matter

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 02:56:36 AM »
  Hey thanks for the replies fellas. Coonhound I'm glad to hear you like yours so well and you've got my interest up in the .22 model. I'm going to check them out, I always NEED another .22 :D

So far as accuracy is concerned, I've been very impressed with mine as well but have never printed on paper with it. I think this weekend I will, just to see what it does. Bet I'll be happy with the results.  J

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »
I own one very accurate little peice! Has went bang every time I've pulled the trigger!  If your used to Glocks then it's not for you both of my semi-auto's are of the decocker types so natural. sweep of safety is the norm.  ;D
One shot , One Kill

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
 Hey that's cool Puma, another glowing review  ;D

Actually met a buddy today at the local gunshop who is pistol shopping and just received his permit. I recommended the bersa and the dealer took us to both the .22 and the .380. My buddy decided on a ruger eventually but I did get to see and handle the .22 version and I like it.

On that bunch of complicated gizmos hanging off the back of the bersa, I must say it looks cool but your right, the safety and decocker are just not what I'm used to, although that automatic sweep of the safety is something I'll pick up the more I use the gun.

Another worthy mention on these pistols is the finish, not sure what they're coated in but its tough stuff, especially the nickel on my duo tone lower assembly, it just won't wear off or scratch with normal use, the black seems slightly more prone to wear but still very acceptable after hundreds of reholsters.

Anyone try cast rounds in theirs?  J

Offline sharps4590

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken didn't the Mod. 39 and 59 S&W's and the Browning High Power have the same decocking system?  That never bothered me but I've never owned a Glock so can't make a fair comparison.

I do have a Bersa 380 and have carried it quite extensively the last 5 or so years that I've owned it.  It has not seen many rounds through it but the couple boxes I have fired went through without a hitch.  Accuracy was more than acceptable with 90 grain hardball ammo.  I like it but I wouldn't carry it in the woods and that has nothing to do with the firearm.  When I'm in the outdoors I'm definitely a revolver guy.
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline Coonhound

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:22 PM »
Johnny Reb, don't let that safety on the Bersa discourage you.  If you visit the Bersa owners forum you'll find that everyone carrys this pistol with the safety off.  The first trigger pull will be double action and it's a pretty long pull,  much like a revolver.  From then on each shot is single action and the Bersa has a nice trigger.  Of, course you can cock the hammer on the first shot for a SA pull.  That so-called safety is really a de-cocker.

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
 I don't blame you Sharps, I carried a J frame .38 around in the woods for awhile and loved it, my wife demanded it back however ..so... :-\

Coonhound I appreciate the post and won't let that safety bother me again, I've taken the given advice and made it a habit to pick up the little pistol a few times a week, clear it, and practice checking the now alway off safety. Making it a habit. Never intend to touch the lever beyond that initial safety check again, I'll certainly NEVER use it as a decocker :o

Did get in 2 bullet molds from Lee, a 102gr and a 105gr. Bought a .357 Lee sizing die.(we'll see, might be tight) received my rcbs dies from a kind GBO member, have a bunch of brass on the way from another member. Found 500 SP primers at a local retailer along with 2 powders to try. Almost ready to make ammo for the bersa.

Appreciate those of you with thunder .380's for keeping this thread going. Enjoying every post.  J

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
Johnny Reb,
How do you get the hammer down after chambering a round? I don't have a Bersa, but I have a Walther PPK/s and as far as I know the decocker is the only safe way to lower the hammer. But I know what you mean by making you feel uneasy to use the decocker! I didn't like it either but got used to it.

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 04:36:15 PM »
 Hey 3030. So you really drop the hammer with that switch thing?  ;D

From observing just what it does, I agree there no way the hammer can contact the pin, but it still seems unnerving to me. I just drop the hammer with the trigger and thumb it down. Did it for the last 30 years with multiple single shot shotguns, lever guns, blackpowder and I don't know how many revolvers. Just seems natural to me and I've never slipped although I always keep the muzzle safe as I know a mistake could happen. I do see, that  anyone with lots of hours behind a decocker would operate it without thought, just 2nd nature. I'm trying to embrace the change.  :)

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 05:37:34 AM »
Hi JR:

I have sold a bunch of Bersas, .22; .380's solid good shooting firearms. I have a hrad time keeping them in stock.

PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com