Author Topic: USCG Bristol Bay  (Read 771 times)

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
USCG Bristol Bay
« on: April 07, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »
The Great Lakes shipping season is under way with the Soo Locks opening March 25 and the freighters underway. With wind driven ice plugging up the east end of Lake Superior, the Coast Guard cutters have been busy keeping tracks open. Thought you might like to see an Alaskan namesake hard at work near Whitefish Bay. The USCG Bristol Bay...http://www.uscg.mil/d9/sectDetroit/bristolbay.asp.....enjoy!....Scott B.

International effort...CCG Samuel Risley and USCG Mackinaw breaking ice....

From the deck of the Mackinaw...

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: USCG Bristol Bay
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Cool!! I live in the Bristol Bay area.  Is the tug named Bristol Bay?  I can't tell from the pic.  We've had quite a cold week and could use an ice breaker up here but the Nushagak Bay itself, the ice is fading away pretty well.  From the NOAA ice maps it looks like we have quite a bit of young ice 12 inch or less.  Haven't heard if any folks have been seal hunting.  Usually I think they get out when there still some ice in the bay.  But there is so much ice on shore I don't know how they'd get a skiff in the water. These mornings with -5 or so and barely getting to 30 tops, not the most fun to hunt in.  Supposed to be warmer tomorrow. Thanks for the post.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: USCG Bristol Bay
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:29:32 AM »
Yes, the top picture is the USCG Bristol Bay, thought you would get a kick out of it! The early spring flowers are starting to bloom here, and the farmers are itching to get started planting. I've picked off 2 woodchucks already, scouted out a few spots to sit as the soy beans sprout. I alternate between a .410 slug gun, various rimfires, and a Weatherby Vanguard .22-250 when things get serious... 8) ...Enjoy your spring!

Scott B.
Here's pic from Saturday on the St. Clair River headed back to Detroit: