Author Topic: I hate how this turned out  (Read 7696 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: I hate how this turned out
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »
I would contend that carrying a revolver in his bibs would have had the same or similar result in locking up the gun.  Maybe carrying on a construction site with the gun in a zip lock bag would be the best.  A revolver would just shoot through the bag and not have ot wory about the fine dust, food crumbs, lint, and the moisture.The revolver with the rear of the cylinder open may have more problems as stuff can get inbetween the firing pin and the ctgs.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2013, 02:55:07 AM »
FPH:  sounds like the 'gang taskforce' members you spoke to need a bit of 'muzzle in your face or pressed against your belly' experience before they badmouth a cartridge.  I remember one Peoria cop blowing the top of his hand apart showing us how puny the 25 acp round was; when you have pieces of bone and tissue hanging out of the exit wound and a quarter inch hole blasted on through the palm you get the idea very quickly that none of those 'puny and willonly pizz ya off' rounds are absolutely nothing to fool with.  I just love these tough guys who have never been into it before or who have only been on the pheriphery with their nonsense about only one specific caliber or bullet weight being the 'end all to be all' gunfight stoppers. 

Stands to reason that if you're going to carry a gun you absolutely must know and deal with its limitations, and practice enough to make it useful.  As I have mentioned on more than one occasion, there is little practical utility or knowledge to be gained from testing a soft tissue caliber against a hard target.  No personal defense handgun cartridge I know of, except the 357 magnum armor piercing conical bullet last seen in the early to mid 70s, is a hard target caliber/bullet; everything else is a soft tissue defensive or military/police (which means soft target as in humans and animals) round. 

The 357 Sig - oh yeah, I'm sure Sig capitalized on the 357 magnums 125 gn hp one shot manstopper to market thier 357 Sig round, which is on the same level as the 9x23 Winchester or custom loaded 38 Supers, but that does not mean it is ineffective or worthless, and I seriously doubt there is anyone on this forum would would be willing to paste a target to their chest and test the caliber. 

22s and 25s are smaller calibers designed for personal defense in the days when emergency medical care was not available.  While it is true that some could withstand the impact of one of those smaller slugs yet continue with a assault, history (european) records that most were wounded and turned away to suffer the ravages of their wounds.  It was also said that in those instances in which the presence of the handgun failed to halt a assailant, that a 'well placed round' often had the necessary effect, but that where one did not work it was not uncommon to use the entire content of the pistol.   The 32s and 380s were initially designed as police calibers and were used extensively in europe, during and between both world wars and continue in use today. 

I don't understand what it is with people any longer.  They don't pack 45 colts anymore and don't create a bang/flop scenario with a flat nosed 255 gn slug.  They lack the experience (I suppose we should be grateful for something..) of using a effective handgun in a combat or personally defensive situation but yet expect the one shot bad guy bang flop of the older cartridges they saw on the cowboy movies.  Most need to practice more with their carry pieces than the guy mcwoodduck referred to as carrying his glock in his bib pocket and everyone should go buy a couple of pounds of hamburger, or a fresh chicken or turkey and see what their chosen cailber does to a real chunk of meat and bone.  You might be very surprised to see what your 'puny' 22lr or 25acp does to a 5 or 6 lb chicken at the same distances you would use it in a defensive shooting - near point blank.  Ya oughta try it sometime.........

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
Wait, I was commenting on the carring of the glock in the bibs that Shootall said got froze up with gunk and then said a J frame sould be better, All I said was I think that any gun in those conditions would or could have been frozen by the grit.
Personally, when I carried, I carried a 380 and only did so after I was convinced it would function flawlessly and go bang until the mag was empty and that I would be able to hit what I wanted to at those ranges. Only when I was in fear of my life did I start carrying a Full sized 9mm.  Glad I did as the friends of the guy I was going to testafy against showed up with baseball bats at my apartment to convince me that was a bad idea, I pulled out my 9mm and they left me two base ball bats and it took me 20 miniutes to stop shaking once I got into the apartment. 
Here is Ca where carry is not allowed I have pocketed a Walther PP in 32, a Colt 1903 in 32 and a Wather TPH in 22 LR and felt confidant in my ability to make meaningful hits with all of them and when confronted with a 150 pound Irish Wolf hound named Shamus that I knocked off of attacking my dog and them turned on me I did not feel underguned wiht the TPH in my hand and a fast round at his feet into the dirt changed his mind about comming after me.  Had it not I would have used it to stop the dog as best as I could. 
I understand the difference between a novelty pistol and a real tool.  A real tool is something big enough to be useful in the size of a person you are.  For me the Walther TPH just fits that bill with my Med sized gloves.  My 6' 5" cousin with an XL glove size and my Sig P229 is almost too small for him to make meaningful hits.  He is one of the only people I have seen that a Desert Eagle looks like a glock 17 in most other peoples hands.  And his Berreta 92 looks like me holding my Sig P230 in 380.   
I understand if it comes to a gun fight there will be a lot of yelling a lot of screaming, lots of blood and running.  Much like the fist fights you were in as a grade school kid only the outcome is life or death. 

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2013, 11:13:40 PM »
Quote from: Dee
Why carry a 380 which is nothing more than a "9mm short", when one can carry a slightly more powerful 9mm in the same package?

spot on! 
THAT is the main reason reason I will NOT own a .380 (as my .356 caliber HG) choice. 

Choosing the 9mm in this "Glock" niche (and the .40S&W that Glock niche) incredibly simplifies my logistics!  And armourer needs.  ;)

Amazing how many fellows chose the f-u-g-l-y Glock 23 as their ideal [or nearly] piece for the roles that handgun excells at.

I agree S&W makes some incredibly well-engineered HG's in the M&P and Shield, but Glock magazines and other Glock parts will always be easier to find (for my purposes!).  8)

Glock has a head-start I don't think the M&P's or XD's will ever match.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2013, 01:46:02 AM »
I would contend that carrying a revolver in his bibs would have had the same or similar result in locking up the gun.  Maybe carrying on a construction site with the gun in a zip lock bag would be the best.  A revolver would just shoot through the bag and not have ot wory about the fine dust, food crumbs, lint, and the moisture.The revolver with the rear of the cylinder open may have more problems as stuff can get inbetween the firing pin and the ctgs.
I would contend the leverage from the double action may be enough to free the cylinder . My revolver gets really nasty some days with sand and grit when I work in ditches and the stuff gets in my pockets. There have been times when it was all I could do was pull the trigger  but it did work. And to be fair the Glock may have worked had he fired it but in his case he totes chamber empty.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline FPH

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »
FPH:  sounds like the 'gang taskforce' members you spoke to need a bit of 'muzzle in your face or pressed against your belly' experience before they badmouth a cartridge. 

Actually, the three most senior members had at one time or another been attached to a NARC sqad.  All three had real world gun fight experience with gang members high on drugs.  All three had real world war stories of the effectiveness of the .380 on a druged out perp.  All three said the .380 was a joke.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 02:49:04 AM »
I recall hearing experienced combat vets say the same thing about the 9mm, after pumping any number of rounds into drunked up or drugged up assailants.  In southeast Asia, and a few other places, we saw the same effect when the rounds were not effectively placed even with the M16 and the AK47, two proven combat calibers, yet I have never seen anyone get back to their feet and continue the fight with two rounds to the chest with 9mm ball and as for the 380 - you just gotta know where to place those bullets to get the maximum effect....... and by the way, I don't care who you are, no caliber is a joke and I doubt I would hear you laughing if you got hit by one.....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »
I watch a film of a Ga state trooper shooting a bad guy on pcp  with a 45 auto in the center of chest , federal hydro shock 230 gr bullet. It killed the guy , but he died after trashing the trooper and it took 3 to hand cuff him. 4 hrs later he died in the hospital.
 So any bullet can fail to stop. the lighter and weaker the round the less penetration you get with HP or expanding ammo , yes some of the new stuff under perfect conditions may be better. So a FMJ may be better to reach spine and drop a bad guy on drugs. Some claim taking out a hip is a good way to stop someone on drugs , can't stand can't fight well.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2013, 01:40:05 PM »
Read an article awhile back that said nothin puts someone on the ground quicker than breaking the pelvic bone. they cant stand up.... bet it hurts like the dickens too ;D

Offline FPH

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
I actually knew a  man who survived 10 hits from a 9mm.  However, I also know a man and his girl friend who survived 6 shots from the vaunted .357 and survived.....he as a paraplegic though.  He had been made to lie on top of her and they were shot from about 3 foot by a robber.