Author Topic: Primers are back  (Read 1255 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Primers are back
« on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »
In my local shop today and noticed thousands of large rifle primers and large magnum primers, where only a few weeks ago there were none.  Didn't ask the price.  Plenty of powder selections as well.  Maybe the shortage in coming to an end.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Primers are back
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
maybe it is incrementally.
might be the gougers are getting
their just due and having to take
a hit on stuff they didn't want or need.
i hope the folks that honestly use and
need this stuff learned something
from all this mess.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »
I've been seeing spotty availability of large pistol and large rifle throughout the insanity, but recently large pistol seems to have stabilized with constant availability. Still no small rifle / small pistol to speak of though...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
In today's Louisville Courier Journal there is a full back page ad for a gun store that has CCI primers (SP, LP, SR, LR) as guaranteed in stock (for the start anyway) for a sale starting today.  Limit one 1000 count for $39.99.  First time I've seen that since the hysteria began.  Maybe the clouds are parting?

Offline J-Train

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:06:25 AM »
At last weekend's gun show in Greenville, SC the gouging continued.  .22LR was going for as much as $110 for a brick (I witnessed that sale)--most were asking $65-70.  Almost no name-brand .22's were available.  Primers were scarce and going for about $50-60.  I only saw two Ruger 10/22's on a table--both plain-Janes for $259.  That's as close as I saw to a reasonable price on anything in demand.
My shooting is still on hold. :(

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
maybe it is incrementally.
might be the gougers are getting
their just due and having to take
a hit on stuff they didn't want or need.
i hope the folks that honestly use and
need this stuff learned something
from all this mess.

Well they did not with the Clinton assault weapons ban, they did not when the Y2K scare came, they did not when Obama was elected so do you have confidence they will this time ?
But the bright side , when all the credit card bills come due and all that ammo, weapons, and components hit the market maybe it will drive prices down............ ;) ;D ::)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
I learned my lesson in '08. I had stuff, but was uncomfortably low on a few items. When stock started to come back, I started to lay in supplies. I have 12K 22 LR rounds, 30K primers, over 50 pounds of powder and enough of every case I need for a looong time. I have a healthy supply of bullets too, but they really never ran out, maybe selection is limited, but you can still get bullets. I had this supply before the elections last fall, haven't really bought too much since. The last big purchase was 1600 CCI Mini Mags 22 Long rifle in an ammo can for $99 in October or so. I told my wife, that I did not need them, but I just had this feeling I should get them. ;) Immeadiatly after the school shooting I ordered some high capacity mags and got what I ordered, can't get them so easy now. Consequently my shooting is as good as ever. I am not out, but I could use some more 22 WMR. I have some on back order and will get them eventually. Just learn a lesson and when supplies start to come back, get a year's supply of every thing and replace or add to your supply as you can.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »
What does one really need for use ? or is it a need to feel good ? I shoot a few boxes of 22 lr every so often for practice/fun when stuff dried up I just held back shooting as much. no big deal. Same for hunting I could go several years hunting but then I would cut back extra shooting. Unless the boys raid my 22's I doubt I shoot a few bricks a year now days.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
What does one really need for use ? or is it a need to feel good ? I shoot a few boxes of 22 lr every so often for practice/fun when stuff dried up I just held back shooting as much. no big deal. Same for hunting I could go several years hunting but then I would cut back extra shooting. Unless the boys raid my 22's I doubt I shoot a few bricks a year now days.

I think it is relative as to what does one really need for use. Chances are, the supply will come back and be as good as ever, but one never knows for sure. You are correct if you run out and do not care if you shoot again or not, then do not worry about it. I have a Brother In Law that more than likely a brick would last 10 years for him. He does not reload at all. He is oblivious to the shortage. Some people regularly shoot thousands of rounds a month. Having 10K rounds will not last that long, not long enough to last through a shortage. I have not been a part of the panic buying, because I put in enough supplies before it happened. I refuse to pay 2X or 3X times what it is really worth. People are panic buying because they fear that they Will not be able to get any more. I know people that were coming into a store and buying up every round that was on the shelf. I think some figured that the supply would be short and they could make a buck off of their fellow shooters. Shame on them. Some bought for their own personal use or storage, afraid that they would not be able to get it any more. Everyone or most feel that they have what they need, the supply will come back. You may say I am a hoarder and that is your prerogative, I say I planned ahead for this.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
I know people, some of them with pawn shops, some that never owned a gun, that show up every time the trucks arrive and buy everything. I hope they get caught holding and the supplies return. It will tickle me to pick up a brick of 22LR at a yard sale for $15. ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:32:44 AM »

I think it is relative as to what does one really need for use. Chances are, the supply will come back and be as good as ever, but one never knows for sure. You are correct if you run out and do not care if you shoot again or not, then do not worry about it. I have a Brother In Law that more than likely a brick would last 10 years for him. He does not reload at all. He is oblivious to the shortage. Some people regularly shoot thousands of rounds a month. Having 10K rounds will not last that long, not long enough to last through a shortage. I have not been a part of the panic buying, because I put in enough supplies before it happened. I refuse to pay 2X or 3X times what it is really worth. People are panic buying because they fear that they Will not be able to get any more. I know people that were coming into a store and buying up every round that was on the shelf. I think some figured that the supply would be short and they could make a buck off of their fellow shooters. Shame on them. Some bought for their own personal use or storage, afraid that they would not be able to get it any more. Everyone or most feel that they have what they need, the supply will come back. You may say I am a hoarder and that is your prerogative, I say I planned ahead for this.

I know of many who never kept a full box of ammo on hand who went out and got a case. Others who got ammo for guns they don't own and people who got AR's who never considered owning one before. I got a bolt action rifle I did not have ammo for and it has taken time to fine dies , brass, powder , etc. But with a lot of looking I found some loaded rounds , some brass made from military brass , bullets but not what I wanted , even load data and one set of dies . All more expensive than it would have been last Fall. Last night I shot 3 loads , 2 rounds each. 6 rounds altogether . It would have been nice to shoot 10 of each but that would have depleted my bullets. Oh well back to looking .

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »
If people bought ammo or reloading supplies with making a profit off of others in mind, I hope they get stuck and have to sell at a loss. Eventually supplies will return and then demand and supply will push prices back down to where they should be. They people that bought to resell at a profit will lose big time. Our local Gander Mountain has been getting out of the reloading business. During the last shortage, they raised their prices up very high. I told myself back then, that I would not buy any of the reloading componets ever again, even if the prices were reasonable again the the supply plentiful. I think there were lots of other who felt the same way. Consequently they were not selling many supplies after the resurgence and are dropping out. If supplies remain high and supply drives up prices, either the plants will expand to take advantage or more companies will move into the field. Demand drives supply and eventually it will even out. Plants did not expand the last time because they knew that demand would drop and they did not want to be stuck with too much capacity. The Government can effect supply with regulations or out right bans, but other than that, supplies will eventually catch up to demand. Refuse to pay too much for supplies and buy just enough ammo to get you through hunting season or to feed your self defense gun, not for blasting or practice beyond basic until supply returns to normal levels.