Author Topic: H&R receiver lost striker, lifter still there  (Read 617 times)

Offline wallacem

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
H&R receiver lost striker, lifter still there
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
Okay, got this H&R receiver that lost the striker so it won't fire.  I can see the lifter there.  I am wondering what to do.  Can I put the striker on without taking it apart? or should I send it back and get it replaced? are all the strikers the same, or did they change shape over the years?  Does anyone have an extra I can buy?  A whole bunch of questions to figure out what to do.  Thanks,  Wallace

Offline wolverine_1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: H&R receiver lost striker, lifter still there
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
are you talking about the hammer or what?
Gene

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
You can order one from Numrich and install it yourself, the trigger assembly has to be disassembled to do that, download Perklo's instructions. The two pieces are peened together, if you don't have both pieces, kinda hard to fix it yourself by peening them back together which can be done sometimes. H&R will repair it if you want to send it in, see their repair instructions.

Tim

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1139220A.htm

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/repairs.asp

www.perkloafm.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »
easy enough to do yourself.
follow instructions per f.a.q.s.
as already posted- take your
time-use finesse- go slow
if i can do it, anyone can.
good luck
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline wallacem

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
I am not much of a mechanic, and am thinking it will be best to just send it in for repair.  does anyone know what H&R will charge me to fix it?

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
Got one in the same shape as yours.  Called the repair facility and was quoted a price of $40.00 dollars; I pay shipping and they wanted the whole gun shipped to them, not just the frame.  I only paid $50 for the gun to start with.  I used the barrel on a 12 ga. shorty and put the stock and fore arm on a frame I bought off the classifieds here.  So I don't plan to fix it.  Numrich wants about $25 for the striker and lifter assembly.  My suggestion is to check out the Pawn Shops and get a good used one.  Most likely your barrel will lock up on it and then you would have a usable firearm again.  Get it in a different gauge and you will have 2 guns by just switching barrels.  JMHO 
Draw a fine bead on em son!!!   Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline RickW936

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »
You might wanna disassemble the action and check. I've had my shorty sitting in the corner since '88 for the same reason. I tore it down today and low and behold the striker came tumbling out when the trigger gaurd was removed! Found a little roll pin, got on here and the F.A.Q. page, an  half hour later the thing was repaired! 'course it took me another hour and half to re-assemble the dang thing 'cause I only got two hands and needed 3! That is until I read the FAQ's a little more! I had the darn hammer spring upside down! Anyway, don't hurt to check!