Author Topic: Question about a Hodgdon Powder  (Read 877 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Question about a Hodgdon Powder
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »
While digging through my powders to come up with a load I'm working on.   I found a mostly unused can of Hodgdon BL-c powder.   Yes, it's BL-c, NOT BL-c(2). 

Anyone know what the difference is?  My guess is BL-c(2) replaced the original BL-c, but is it substantially different (burning rates, etc.) from the original?  Haven't found the BL-c referenced, in any of my current loading manuals.  I have to look for my older manuals to check. 

Anyone have any information, about this powder? 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Question about a Hodgdon Powder
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:50:52 AM »
Back in the late 40's, the military was dumping a lot of surplus WWII powder in the ocean to get rid of it. Hodgdon decided that the powder could be used for the handloader if made available. He came across 80 tons of powder that was being rendered from British 303 ammo. He named this powder BL-C, the C meaning that it burnt cooler than the IMR powders. When this lot ran out, he got the original formulation and had it made but marketed it under the name BL-C2 as it was the second lot of powder. All things being equal, it is the exact same powder as BL-C2. As with any powder, I'd try a few rounds of reduced volume and work back up to your normal loads. While a stable powder, it is near 60 years old or possibly older. Frankly, I'd keep it as a collector item rather than using it.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:58 AM »
I checked my powder burn rate chart that is 'spose to list obsolete/discontinued powders and it doesn't list BL-c.   :-\  I remember reading a comparison of the two waaaay back, but can't remember the details. 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:31:40 AM »
Haven't used BL-C in a lot of year's. If I remember right, BL-C2 was marked on the container, BL-C lot 2. The explaination above sounds correct to me.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:03:20 AM »
Larry's advice sounds spot on to me, up to the point of keeping the stuff.  Work up an appropriate load and shoot the stuff.  That is what it was meant for.  If you have any doubts, send a quick email to Hodgdon and I'm sure they will offer at least similar advice.  Phil has responded promptly to similar queries for me. 

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:03:42 AM »
The reason I wouldn't use it is because it's a double based nitroglycerin powder. These powders, especially the older ones. are known to stratify in the container. Sometimes it will mix, sometimes it won't. So while the top of the powder in the can performs fine, the powder on the bottom is high enough in nitro to blow a gun up. It's a chance I prefer not to take considering the cost of pound of powder versus my hand or my life. Powder of 60+ years old obviously isn't fresh and it's not going to be an exact same as manufactured product. If it were 20 year old powder- no problem. But 60+ year old powder, not on my life.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »
Larry L - Thanks for the information.  if I remember correctly, I purchased it in the 80's after I bought my first house.

Haven't used BL-C in a lot of year's. If I remember right, BL-C2 was marked on the container, BL-C lot 2. The explaination above sounds correct to me.
D Fischer - I didn't even look for the smaller marking on the container.  I'll have to check later.

Old Syko - Will take your suggestion, for the sake of safety, I'll probably contact Hodgdon about using it.

I checked my powder burn rate chart that is 'spose to list obsolete/discontinued powders and it doesn't list BL-c.   :-\  I remember reading a comparison of the two waaaay back, but can't remember the details. 
AtlLaw - Sort of like law revisions, the original wording, in this case loading recipes just disappear, unless you find an old enough reloading manual.  Thanks for the reply.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
These reclaimed propellants are not considered canister grade and therefore are not listed in any reloading data manual.  I have seen these (reclaimed/surplus) powders for sale and though I have heard/read of good results with them I have also heard a couple of (dare I use the word HORROR?) stories of their use that didn't end well. JM$.02W

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
I have a Speer manual #7 that gives data for both BL-C and BL-C2.  I'm unsure of the copyright date of this manual but I assume it is very late 60s or early 70s.  It does not give data for both for a single application but data for one or the other depending on application.  As an example it gives data for BL-C in 222 and BL-C2 in 223.

I used up the last of my BL-C probably 10 years ago that I purchased as surplus in the late 60s.  The last worked identical to the first.  Just a couple years ago I used the last of my Alcan powder that was purchased as surplus from about the same era.  It too worked just as always.  I wouldn't dare get into a chemical analysis of the product since it means absolutely nothing to me.  Results are all that matters.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
I have been loading some old BL-C(2) that were in Pink factory cans with rust on the outside but nice and shinny metal on the inside.  I am getting expected velocity when test with the Chrony and from the picture you can see that it does good.

Ball powder test done by Olin/WW determind that ball powder has a very good life span.  Do a search for storage life of ball powder.

Clearly there is new manufactured BL-C(2) sold by Hodgdon.  I purchased 8-pounds a couple years ago.

http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

“All of the surplus BL type C had been sold by 1961. Olin Corporation had manufactured the powder as 846, and continued production for loading 7.62x51mm NATO cartridges.[1] Hodgdon began marketing post-war production as spherical BL-C lot no. 2, or BL-C(2). Olin began retail distribution of Winchester-Western ball powders for pistol and shotgun loading in 1960; and Winchester-Western rifle ball powders followed in 1968.[3] Hodgdon distributed spherical powders HS-5 and HS-6 for shotguns and H110, H335, H380, H414, and H450 for rifles”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodgdon_Powder_Company

A little footnote:

http://hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.