Author Topic: H&R Frame radius for fitting a sight base  (Read 544 times)

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
H&R Frame radius for fitting a sight base
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
   On occasion I have had the need to form something to the top of the Handis and it would be helpful to learn and file that dimension.   Thanks,  kody

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: H&R Frame radius for fitting a sight base
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
I have not really seen the need on a H&R... BUT on some rifles I have bedded the base for a perfect fit to the action.

H&R has two bases current bases and on early barrels (Profiled barrels) used a smaller diameter barrel and used a different base.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
Its really the barrel radius you mean, right?
On a tapered barrel wrap one layer of wet/dry sandpaper around the barrel a bit ahead (smaller dia.) than  where you want the sight to sit, set the sight base on it and work back & forth with even pressure. The base will conform to the dia. but not be too loose when in the right position. What you want to avoid is having the middle of the base hit the barrel and the edges be too wide so it can rock side to side. A little 'high' in the middle with good edge contact is pretty good.
On the breech end of uniform dia. it gets touchy for the above reason. I always go through my stuff to find a dia. a bit smaller, or turn a spud on the lathe.
If, by chance, you get it too wide, you will have to bed it. This is so easily prevented by doing it right.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
   I don't want the barrel dimension. I need the radius dimension of the frame/receiver so I can match the Speedbead base to it . Thanks,  kody

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »
   I don't want the barrel dimension. I need the radius dimension of the frame/receiver so I can match the Speedbead base to it . Thanks,  kody

Simply Mount it as is, coat it up with a release agent (screws too!!) build a damn and fill the gaps with good metalized bedding compound.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bedding+a+scope+base&oq=bedding+a+scope+base&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0.908.7799.0.10801.20.11.0.9.9.0.116.925.10j1.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.idoOs-UfdOE 

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
I'm looking at the speedbead product and cannot see what you are trying to do

are you needing the dimensions of the butt socket area? or the top round portion of the receiver just foward of the hammer?

on some of mine, the top is polished to a point where it is not even, certainly NOT machined to a uniform round shape.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:42:00 AM »
I think you are forgetting that would sit where the hammer is, Kody.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974