Author Topic: Anybody used these Hornady 30 Caliber .308 160 Grain Flex Tip Expanding?  (Read 835 times)

Offline ousooners1baby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • If you got a PC question, just ask!
Just wondering. I found some and thot about reloading some.
Thanks, Jer

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  I suppose it depends upon what rifle you are using them in.  I don't think I would load them in my .308 or higher, although 30/30 may be a possibility..  I have tried the .44 mag 225 gr FTX flex-tips in my CVA Scout rifle, and I think they break up too easily, even at .44 mag rifle speeds.  The 30 cal could I suppose, be built for controlled expansion at higher speeds.
   On the other hand, I plan on taking out my CVA with Hornady XTP hollow points, first day of the coming big game season.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
I've loaded FTX's in my .45-70 and found them too explosive for my tastes on deer.  I have been using them in my .32 special also though and those don't seem as bad, so the smaller diameter may be better.  I'd try popping some milk jugs and see what you get for expansion.  If they fragment into pieces like the .45-70, I'd only use them cautiously on deer unless you want a lot of meat damage.  For lower power loads or shooting coyotes etc, might be acceptable.  ;)  They are very accurate bullets in my finding though.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Ranger99

i have some, but i've yet to have
occasion to use them. a friend took
two deer with one, that is to say
the bullet went through one and
killed the one behind it as well.
i'm pretty much satisfied with the
speer and sierra 150's i've use since
i've been loading.

be aware that there are two different
160 grain .308 ftx bullets- one for use in
30/30 and one for .308 marlin.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ousooners1baby

• Contributor
  • If you got a PC question, just ask!
Why do you say that they are for those 2 Ranger? And I thot about loading them for my handi!
Thanks, Jer

Offline Ranger99

hornady offers (as far as i'm aware)
the two different bullets for use in
either of those calibers. they are
configured differently for use in
each specific loading.
the box should have specific labeling
for the two different bullets.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

i don't see why you couldn't
shoot either bullet out of any
rifle chambered in either of those
calibers, that is to say the 30/30
designed bullet out of any 30/30
chambered gun, or the .308 marlin
designed bullet out of any firearm so
chambered.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
i don't see why you couldn't
shoot either bullet out of any
rifle chambered in either of those
calibers, that is to say the 30/30
designed bullet out of any 30/30
chambered gun, or the .308 marlin
designed bullet out of any firearm so
chambered.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps I didn't explain adequately.  What I was considering was a bullet which might upset beautifully @ 2350 fps (30/30), may disintegrate @ 2850 fps (.308).. or even worse @ higher velocities.
  Does anyone make a flex tip "partition" style bullet?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
hornady now has a line of flex tip bullets that are basicaly tipped interlocks. Only differnce is no crimp grove and the tip. I have some on the shelf but dont recall the name. I know i bought them by mistake. I picked them off the shelf at gander mountain thinking they were .30 cal 180 interlocks and got home and opened them and saw they were tipped. Went back in the house and looked at my recipe and saw the box of a 100 was over 50 buck!! They also make a bonded bullet with the tips that is even more expensive. If you have either of these they will do fine at any velocity.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Just went and looked on hornadys web site. That 160 tipped bullet is like the other posters said, a bullet for the 3030. It would no doubt be to fragile for the velocitys of a 308 on deer sized game unless you only shot out past 300 yards.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Just went and looked on Hornady's web site. That 160g tipped bullet is like the other posters said, a bullet for the 3030. It would no doubt be to fragile for the velocitys of a 308 on deer sized game unless you only shot out past 300 yards.

Absolutely correct same weight and even profile IIRC. But the canalure is in a different position for each.

I have shot 2/3 deer with it in a 30/30 and found them to be fragile as many of the FTX line is. Personally I would never load this bullet above 30/30 ballstics for use on big game. It is wonderfully accurate so if punching paper or you need a long range varmint bullet for a bigger caliber load and enjoy!  I have been more than satisfied with the STD 170FP Hornady bullet in this caliber.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ranger99

nosler used to make a rn partition
for the 30/30
barnes has made a 30/30 specific
all copper bullet

i don't have any data for it, but you
might look at the .308 marlin specific
ftx 160 grain to see what the velocities
run on that round. maybe it would do
what you have in mind. i've seen those
gmx hornadys, but haven't loaded or
used any, nor haven't seen what velocity
they're designed for. maybe that would
be an option for you.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  I have used regular 150 & 170 grain Winchester soft points in my 30/30 and they worked fine with deer, but last fall I bought Winchester 150 gr pSPs for my new Ruger American .308. I killed a big buck with a quartering away shot, but my friend who does my venison butchering/wrapping only found a bit of lead & brass guilding..which I weighed @ 26 grains.  This fall it will be hornady interlocks.. I would as well have bought partitions, but didn't find any.
   Of course, now I am glad I bought those bullets last year!

Offline JPShelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
I use the 160 gr. Hornady FTX with Hodgdon LeverEvoloution powder in my .30-30.  Currently, that's about the only load I use in it.  They shoot 1.5 MOA or less out of my rifle, but it is modified from stock configuration -the magazine bobbed to half-length button style, the remaining barrel band relieved where it goes over the barrel, the butt glass bedded to the receiver, and a later production magazine follower utilized.   

I've only killed one 120 pound whitetail buck and a few feral pigs between 120-275 pounds with it.  So far, I'm satisfied, but the truth of the matter is that any 170 grain .30-30 bullet I've used would have likely delivered the same satisfactory result under similar circumstances of broadside shots under 200 yards.

I'm using the load data on the powder bottle.

JP

Offline 3006softpoint

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
I won't hunt deer with them again....very accurate,Lead disconects from copper outer jacket..Sprays lead all over on the inside of the animal...Never had a bullet exit the animal, recovered all copper jackets ,but i ate my share of the lead i bet.. This was used in a 30-30  long gun..If you don't eat your deer this bullet would be fine.... Dale

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)

Dang!  Glad I read this thread about the LeveRevolution bullets.

Never shot any but the reports on them are discouraging.

Have always viewed the LeveRevolutions as hollowpoints with rubber stoppers in the ends, but I'm disappointed they destroy so much edible meat.  :o   Even in the .45-70 and .44mag!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs

Dang!  Glad I read this thread about the LeveRevolution bullets.

Never shot any but the reports on them are discouraging.

Have always viewed the LeveRevolutions as hollowpoints with rubber stoppers in the ends, but I'm disappointed they destroy so much edible meat.  :o   Even in the .45-70 and .44mag!

One that I continue to read about as being different is the 200g .358. Supposedly it WILL hold up and preform at even mid 35Whelen velocities!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.