Author Topic: Target sights  (Read 499 times)

Offline black lab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Target sights
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I finally got my 45-70 Handi rifle. I bought a SB2 30-06 a while back and was surprised at how grungy it was. Metal filings and bits every where. That rifle must of been made on a Monday and QC took the day off.  >:( This rifle was a very pleasant surprise. It was the total opposite to the first one. Absolutely pristine.  :) I'm waiting for the second coat of stain to dry on the Buffalo Carbine stock I got from  the good folks at GunStocks Inc. I got what I think is a nicely grained semi-Inletted stock that was advertise as plain walnut. I have a Williams FP receiver sight mounted and set in the middle adjustment. I' trying to figure out which Lyman front sight to order. I figured that I need a front sight that is .762 high Looking at the various combinations of Marbles two ramps and Lyman's 3 front sights. My two options look like .719" high or .809" high. My rear sight is set in the middle for maximum adjustment and I need a .762" high sight. My question is which one would be the best ?

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Target sights
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:12:37 PM »
I have the same set up and the front sight that came on it was just right.  Take it out a shoot it before deciding you need to change the front sight.

Tony

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
I suggest setting the rear to more like 1/4th and picking a front to shoot -0- at your favorite distance with your favorite load, then you will maximize your elevation potential.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline black lab

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
Would that be 3/4 the way to the top or bottom ?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Most of the time Ive found I run out of elevation for the longer shots when an opportunity to play at some distance arises (ie, more up adjustment for on out there) so by starting out with the rear setting down more toward the lowest end to establish -0- I can get more out of whatever adjustment the sight has for elevation.
Rarely have I had not enough adjustment to go lower if I started at about 1/4 up from the lowest setting and picked a front height to get on center at, say 50yd., which would be about the closest Id need to be. That stills gives me some latitude in charge/velo and bullet weight for up close too.
Just consider this as an option for the type of shooting you think you want to do, I only know that it works for me  ;D , YMMV.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline black lab

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
Thanks, That certainly opens up some possiblities. My local range only goes out to 200 yds. And I have to admit sometimes walking out that extra 100 yds, both ways  ;)  is too much bother.  ;D