Author Topic: Different barrel  (Read 1403 times)

Offline AJ

• Trade Count: (0)
Different barrel
« on: February 21, 2004, 04:03:23 AM »
Has snyone tried one of http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/ Smokeless Muzzleloading's barrels for the NEF/H&R guns?  [/url]

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Different barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 04:26:06 AM »
:grin: AJ thats very intrusting do u have to send reciver to them like H&R or can u just buy the barrel? fuzzy
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Different barrel
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 05:31:54 AM »
The price of $275.00 per barrel makes me think it may be just as well to go with a Huntsman barrel for $79.00 or $110.00 in stainless. Looks as if with the "smokeless" barrel there has been no accomodation made to carry an attached ramrod....<><.... :cry:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Different barrel
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 05:51:17 AM »
Will muzzle loader frames accept rifle barrels?  I don't think they will do that, but I may be wrong.  

If they won't, I'd be careful of putting a smokless bp barrel on a muzzleloader frame.  The frame may not handle the pressure.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Different barrel
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 06:43:59 AM »
The smokeless MUZZLELOADER barrels are fine on any frame. Unlike a rifle barrel the muzzleloader barrel has a screw in breeech plug that contains rearward pressure.

The problem you have when shooting rifle barrels from shotgun receivers is rearward pressures from the cartridge case are much higher (the case pushes back on the face of the receiver around the firing pin), that is why they put the SB2 frames through a special process which hardens it. This hardening proceedure minimizes the possibility of frame streach.

That barrel has been intriguing me for over a year, Michigan regs (for deer hunting) are the only thing keeping me from buying one. I have thought about getting one for messing around on the range with and I could still hunt other things like 'yotes with it! Gets those wheels a turnin' evertime I see it. I am just not sure about the 1-36 twist, but it is a Douglass button rifled barrel! :grin:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline AJ

Different barrel
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 07:51:46 AM »
I am not sure how they go about fitting the barrel to the receiver.  I e-mailed them about getting other twists as 1 in 36" is a bit slow.  This barrel should perform like the Savage 10 ML II barrels.  People are getting some very impressive numbers from the Savage.  

I am planning to get a Savage but I may also get this barrel to se how it compares.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Different barrel
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 08:16:08 AM »
He told me they were drop-in barrels. He said if their was a problem with fit they would match it to your receiver. I have six frames, so I am quite sure it would fit at least one of them, if not all of them.

The 1-36 should be good enough to stabilize at the much higher speeds, not to mention much easier on the sabots.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline AJ

Different barrel
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 09:31:23 AM »
They got back to me with this info:

AJ,  Yes we can make any twist rate from 1 in 10 thru 1
in 48 however special twist take longer to make as we
have to order barrels from Douglas in orders of 15 or
more so we wait till we are low on barrels before we
order. We have found that the 1 in 36 twist shoot the
300 grain Barnes X bullet under 1 inch at 100 yards
with the right load. The Barnes 300 X bullet has a B.C.
of .340 .

Thats fine, but I am looking for something to experiment with smaller diameter bullets using custom sabots.  A 260 grain .375" bullet in a duplex sabot should be interesting.