Author Topic: Best case lube for the .338 Lapua Magnum  (Read 505 times)

Offline Androclese

• Trade Count: (0)
Best case lube for the .338 Lapua Magnum
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »
 I began loading this cartridge, and managed to pull the top flange off the shell holder on the opening stroke of the press (Rockchucker,w/ RCBS holder) It was recommended that I use "One Shot" spray lube, and used it according to instructions. Does anyone here load that round, and what lube do you use?
 As an aside, I used the recommended #14 shell holder, but now read that the #48 is the ticket.  Any info is appreciated, once you stop laughing is fine. :)

Offline gary0529

Re: Best case lube for the .338 Lapua Magnum
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »
I use Imperial Sizing wax for almost everything-Never had a problem with sizing my 338 LM

About the only thing I will use spray on lube for is bulk reloading of 223 in my progressive and then i usually hit it twice with long period of dry time in between.

If you reload long enough and/or read a lot on the reload forums you will find that the most common variable in stuck cases is spray lube.

As to the shellholder, could not tell you without going down to the reloading room in the barn and open the die box and you guessed it, not going to happen right now.
I can tell you that it is the same one I use for the 45-70 and never had a problem.

Get some Imperial, a small can will last you years. Not an exaggeration.

The only thing I ever found "better" is some unnamed red paste labeled for wildcatting cases, ie, EXTREME reduction in case size but it has a funky smell and is probably lethal for long term usage--lol.

Better luck with a better lube.

Gary

Offline Androclese

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:14:37 AM »
 I have just begun loading rifle cartridges, so this is all new.But when I began loading 40 yrs ago, there was no spray lube, just the gooey liquid stuff. Later I switched to Carbide dies, so lube wasn't an issue. I bought the one shot because I couldn't find anything else in my area. I have found some other lubes on line, and have some Mink oil here now, (didn't know that was ever used as a case lube. ) I use it on saddle bags. I'll get some Imperial as well. Can't hurt.. I'll use the one shot on door hinges in the future.
 I have some doubts as to the shell holder, it broke, but left the case completely intact.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
I use hornady unique. it smells and looks a lot like mink oil...

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:23:07 AM »
one shot is not a good lube for heavy duty sizing jobs. Imperial sizing wax or what i use, anhydrous lanolin which is the same thing as imperial but about a 1/10 the cost is about the best ive found but lees sizing lube works pretty well and if you insist on a spray/pump lube ive been fooling a bit with the rcbs pump lube and its been doing well. Much better then one shot.
blue lives matter

Offline Androclese

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »
 I have tried the one shot on some .308 brass, and using more than I would expect to need, these cases went through the die well enough. I also have some Mink Oil, and that worked out okay. I have ordered some Imperial, and some RCBS 2, and will (when my new shell holder arrives, ) run a comparison of all of these lubricants on the .338 brass, and post the results here.
 RCBS has chimed in with this information, they now recommend their #48 Shell Holder as the best for the .338 Lapua Mag, and their lube as being a little better than one shot.  (showing my shocked face )

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
I don't have a 338 L M. 300 Win Mag is my biggest bottle neck case. For all my single stage loading be it case forming or just resizing I have tried just about every brand of lube. My favorite that I have settled on is Lee sizing die wax. Anything that gets loaded on the Dillon gets Dillon spray lube.