Author Topic: Bullet lube experiment  (Read 960 times)

Offline bpjon

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Bullet lube experiment
« on: March 28, 2004, 05:33:42 PM »
For some time I've been thinking about trying to incorporate a scent into a bullet lube. Why, you might ask? Well, why not? So, I made a 1.5# batch of Darr lube and added a small vial of peppermint oil I filched from Mom's baking cabinet. (You're never to old to "shop" at home, especially when Mom's vacationing in FL 8-).

Shooting results were inconclusive. The lube performed as well as usual, but the revolver still smelled the same when I was done shooting. Because I was shooting at an indoor range, the ventilation prevented me from getting a good whiff of the smoke. When the weather get's a bit better and my schedule allows, I'll shoot some of the scented lube bullets outdoors, and see (or smell) if there is any difference.

On the other hand, my loading bench really smells fantastic, and the lube can double as a very pleasant hand balm. I've even thought about lubricating a few door hinges with it, simply because it won't evaporate and I can add a pleasing scent to any room.

Further experiments will include other essential oils, and perhaps some artificial concentrates. I know I've seen cinnamon(sp) oil at the grocer's, and I'm going to stop at a confectioner's supply shop to see what else I can scare up.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 05:48:04 PM »
Try the candlemaking supplies at your local crafts store. They sell scents designed to be be burned. They sell all sorts of neat stuff for lube making, juts don't know that's what it's  meant for.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline bpjon

• Avid Poster
Excellent idea!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 06:39:31 PM »
I can have different scents for different occasions!  Evergreen for Christmas, cranberry for Thanksgiving, etc.  I could make some lavender scented for the local Pink Pistols group, too.   :grin:

Seriously, an evergreen scent would be great, thanks for the suggestion.
"Who is John Galt?"

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 12:12:19 AM »
Billy Marr the old moderator of this fourm used to sell his homemade lube one batch he sold me smelled just like strawberrys and was a nice pink colar. Worked good too. It smelled so good that at the expense of my girlfreind laughing her but off I had to taste it!
blue lives matter

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 01:08:01 AM »
Beware of candle scents.  Yes, the sent is released by heat, but that means that every time the lube is reheated - melted, all the scent is released and you have to re-scent it.  I say beware cause it's likely to disappoint you unless you are ready to add it each time you melt the lube.  

Wayne the Shrink (and sometime candlemaker)
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline bpjon

• Avid Poster
Thanks for the advice
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 05:22:57 AM »
Thanks for the warning.  I usually melt just what I need and pour it into the lube-sizer.  I'll mix in the scent then, so it will only be exposed to heat once, and then quickly enclosed.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 01:06:49 PM »
I knew a fellow who chose the powder he used for maximum muzzle blast and WORST smell to raise his chances by offending nearby shooters!!!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline carpediem

• Avid Poster
Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 07:28:14 PM »
:D What is Darr Lube?

Kindest regards,
Carpediem

Offline Flinch

Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 01:21:35 PM »
"Doe in heat" scented bullets. Now theres an idea.

Offline bpjon

• Avid Poster
Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »
Darr lube is a 50\50 mix of parrafin and vaseline, sometimes with a touch of RCBS case lube.  I usually skip the Rcbs lube.  It's cheap and effective for what I use it for.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline carpediem

• Avid Poster
Bullet lube experiment
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 07:30:02 PM »
:D So the next question just begs to be asked; what do you use it for?
Carpediem

Offline Robert

Funny you should mention that...
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 08:08:59 PM »
I started making my own lubes last year with Beeswax and olive oil and I got to thinking....Now I make my own lip gloss out of the same stuff, but in the kitchen with clean containers.  I ordered 50 new 'chapstick' tubes and started making them and all my freinds say it is better than anything in the stores.  Then I started filling the tubes with a beeswax/olive oil for BP, and Beeswax/olive oil and alox  for smokeless cast bullet loads. These are excellent to have at the range for prepping or touching-up bullets.
  For skin and lips try adding Tea Tree oil and Peppermint...that was the best so far.
  I tried a batch with Wintergreen, but didn't like it so it went into the bullet bag.  Hmmmsmells just like Bore-butter...whoda thunk it?
....make it count