Author Topic: hard turkey hunting  (Read 772 times)

Offline sturgeonhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
hard turkey hunting
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »
I have been turkey hunting for only a few years and had filled my tag each year so I thought I might have them figured out a bit. This year has been very windy and my friend drew but every time we get to hunt the wind is terrible I have found fresh sign but haven't seen any birds. What do they do on windy days ?   winds are about 30-35 mph fog,rain and snow this mourning    Thanks

Offline Cuts Crooked

Re: hard turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:24:01 PM »
They still have to eat! Find out what they are eating and set between them and the food.

Means yer gonna have to do some scouting though.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »
I agree. this time of year it's all food, food, food.
Now if south enough, there is ample food and pulling them away from real hens to your hens is the game plan.  but you describe what alot of us are going thru, a late spring and tough hunting.
in my part of WI, we still have 1' of snow at least, in most places. If your area is still cold with occasianal snow, find the food.  A south facing oak ridge or a south facing ag field will draw them in for sure.  If it is that cold, there are no bugs and no new growth shoots for them to feed on.  Find whatever leftovers from fall you can and they will eventually be there too.
now, send me  post and show me where my turkeys are  ::)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline sturgeonhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 04:32:38 AM »
Food and WATER. Particularly if water sources are limited in your area.