Author Topic: 45/70 question??????  (Read 1166 times)

Offline bull b 25-06

• Trade Count: (0)
45/70 question??????
« on: February 20, 2004, 04:31:19 PM »
Alright guys i can't take it any more :grin:  i'm ordering a 45/70 synthetic tommorow,but have one question. In measuring the barrel of this fine rifle,which shotgun barrel is it closer to in diameter? I went to www.choate machine & tooling.com to (makers of the SURVIVOR stock) get a store-arm forearm for my 45/70. I just need to know whether the 45/70 barrel is closer to a 12guage or 20 or what? Anybody that has one if you could please let me know. I have a .223 SURVIVOR and i like the store-arm alot.Thanks

later bull b 25-06          :D
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline JPH45

45/70 question??????
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 05:02:34 PM »
I am ignorant and in need of enlightenment.....just what is a store arm????
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline bull b 25-06

45/70 question??????
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 05:24:21 PM »
JPH45 ho are u doing? The store-arm is the forearm that comes on the SURVIVOR stock.It is a lot longer forearm than the normal wood or syntheticand deeper.You can take this store-arm(forearm) off of the rifle and it has trays inside that will hold many rounds of ammunition(up to 3"in length)or in my case i wish to put some shotgun shot mixed with epoxy into these trays and also in the butt stock for balance & recoil reduction.The store-arm also has checkering on it & allows better grip& balance. At choate machine&tooling.com (makers of the survivor stock) the store-arm costs $15 & $ 33 for the whole stock in black or camo.If you ever seen one and held it you would buy one. I can't wait to get this rifle because here where i live the ferral pigs are moving in and the conservation dept. wants them to be "harvested by any means possible". They said that you don't even need a hunting liscense.COOL!!! :grin:  This cartridge should put the smack down on them.

later bull b 25-06

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
45/70 question??????
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 04:16:01 AM »
:D , Guess what bull b, I have a 45-70 and I have a Stor-arm forearm, it fits perfectly!!, case closed/sol-ved!!!  Hope this helps. Good luck....<><.... :) (P.S. - the 12 and 20 gauge "storarm forearms" are identical, some stocks may be different for the forearms are the same)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline JPH45

45/70 question??????
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 01:15:44 PM »
Thanks bull-b 25-06, I did not realize that the synthetic forearm had such an advantage. I have a 45-70 and was soon to begin a project of making a clamp, not unlike a scope mount to add a weight on the barrel. Handirifle and I had a conversation about making a forestock that would be large enough to carry a weight, but it now sounds that the solution is the synthetic stock. I'll get one and give it a go, Thanks, JP

Offline JPH45

45/70 question??????
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 01:45:59 PM »
Went over to Choate,  www.riflestock.com  and looked at the survivor stock/storearm......very neat indeed. I have not been a fan of the survivor/tamer butt stock, but the storearm seems extra cool. Two spaces, one, 1x1.5x3 the other 1.1.5x5 that adds up to several pounds of lead, just what the 45-70 needs up front. Cool :-D  :-D  :-D  The tamer butt stock also has storage for shells, a little ingenuity out to make it work with 45-70 cases......definitely know how some of my tax return will be spent. Thanks again bull b, Good Shooting, JP

Offline bull b 25-06

45/70 question??????
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 11:10:29 AM »
JPH45 i got the 45/70 yesterday and came home,and put the store-arm from my .223 SURVIVOR S/S and it fit perfect. Thought i would let you know which one fits. Also looks really cool and feels perfect on the big-bore.

later bull b 25-06       :D

Offline JPH45

45/70 question??????
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 11:20:23 AM »
Thanks man, do you happen to have the part number for that? Good Shooting, JP

Offline bull b 25-06

45/70 question??????
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 06:57:33 PM »
JPH45 the part # is #19-02-02(black)  #19-02-03(camo)    phone # of choate is  1-501-724-6193   and i f you can believe it all of this info is on the inside of the store-arm!!!!  Good shootin to all    :D

later bull b 25-06

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
45/70 question??????
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 01:59:41 AM »
Hey guys if you want to save a buck or 2 call H&R for the synthetic storearm forearm and buttstock. Choate makes the synthetic stocks for H&R and they are a bit cheaper from H&R, also thier shipping is cheaper. I got my synthetic forearm from them in 7 days. call customer service, have a credit card handy and go for it, of course they only have black in the synthetic, not camo, and the camo does sound nice. If you are going to buy both the buttstock and forearm at the same time (I already had a buttstock) why not get the camo!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bull b 25-06

45/70 question??????
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 01:10:55 PM »
MSP Ret, thanks for the info i haven't ordered from choate yet,and will contact H&R tommorow. I want the black one ,and i could camo the whole rig on down the line if i wanted to. Found a slick way to add weight to the buttstock. Just fill the bolt hole full of lead shot leaving it an inch or less from the top,and pound in a cork from a cheap bottle of wine( i knew i kept them damn things for a reason).Seems like a good idea,and if you need remove the stock just run a screw into the cork and pull out with pliers.Also working on mixing rubberized epoxy with lead shot and pouring it into the store-arm trays(removeable i hope).

later bull b 25-06

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
45/70 question??????
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 02:04:35 PM »
bull b 26-06,
  If you spray that storage arm with Pam, before you pour your epoxy, and shot mixture, it should keep it removable.
Don

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
45/70 question??????
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 02:16:15 PM »
After shooting my new close range coyote gun (.22 Mag Sportster w/synthetic stock and old Weaver Quick Point sight) I got to thinking and today tried the Stor-arm Forearm on it, it's a keeper!!, even with the standard weight barrel on the Sportster it fits well and looks great. The wider longer forearm sure feels good in the hands, I'll see how it shoots next time out....<><..... :grin:

Offline bull b 25-06

45/70 question??????
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 04:31:12 PM »
Thanx BIG BLUE for the pam idea that will do it. MSP Ret, i do believe that every great NEF i get from now on will be wearing the store-arm!! Unless i get the Ultra hunter/Varmint in cinnamon laminated,and then would bore holes on the inside of the forearm for the epoxy-lead shot.MSP Ret did you o-ring(float) your store-arm? Also read the other day in a book at Wal-Mart how to do the process of electroless nickel plating. Sounds easy if you have the acid and heating tanks. I wonder if there are businesses that will do this on these rifle's.Just realized the other day that when i start reloading the 45/70,that i will also be able to use the bullets+sabot sleeves in my huntsman. Man the brass for the 45/70 is high. Priced some saturday for $25 for 50 new brass unprimered.How many times can you safely reload (recommended powder charge)no hot loading in this brass?

later bull b 25-06