Author Topic: Reloading Straight Wall Steel Cases  (Read 362 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Reloading Straight Wall Steel Cases
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
I've read that somewhere that this can be done.  Not the lacquer coated ones, but the zinc plated ones.  I put two 45 acp steel cases, well lubed, through my decaping die.  It worked.  Haven't gone any further.  Has anyone tried this?  Especially 45 acp or 9mm straight walled type cases?  I wouldn't even attempt necked cartridges.  I would be afraid of wearing out the neck sizer. 

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Reloading Straight Wall Steel Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »
I've read on the net folks reloading steel cases but I'm not one of them. RCBS says no steel cases in their dies. Works for me.
FWIW, if you have a recycler in the area, check with them for brass. It's not rocket science to buy once fired brass at a recycle center. If it looks new, pick it up and give it a close look. Check for a factory or reloaded primer. If factory and no obvious bulges, buy the brass. The last 223 I bought cost me 13 bucks a thousand and it was LC 00 NATO marked brass with crimped primers. They have all kinds at the recycler around here but you have to bring yer own container and separate out what you want so it can take some time. Last week they had a ton of Remington 308 that looked to be new brass with a Remington primer. I'm already sitting on a bunch or I would have bought some.