Author Topic: how friday went  (Read 2975 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
how friday went
« on: February 22, 2004, 10:50:49 AM »
I went to the range friday. Loaded up the 30-3- and the 45-70.
Of course, I started with the 45-70. I just had to shoot the last 6 out of the old box. Man, is that thing accurate. Also, all I wore was a t-shirt and long sleeve shirt. I guess that the 45-70 having a couple of lbs. more weight helps out with the recoil. I literally tore the center out of the target at 50 yds. I thought that I would have to shoot more to get the 30-30 squared away. I sighted in the 30-30 at 100yds using 150 coreloks. I was using 170 coreloks before. Well, all I had to do was drop down a couple of inches at 100 yds. and I was really enjoying the absence of the center of the target. :-D I just shot a few more just for fun. :wink:  :twisted:
I love my 45-70 but I can't beat the deal I got on my win. 30-30 back in '84 when I bought it on sale at K-mart for 130.00.   :D Now I just need to make an appt. for the eye dr. to get a new rx for these 50 yr old eyeballs. Noticed a little fuzziness a couple of weeks ago.  :roll:                                   Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
how friday went
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 11:44:40 AM »
Tommy,
  I'm glad to hear your having a good time tearin' out the center of your targets.  :blaster: The 45/70 is something. How much does your 45/70 weigh now? You know they say your eyes are the second thing to go! :)  
Don

Offline Leftoverdj

how friday went
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 07:36:34 PM »
Tommy, since you say you are past 50, get a diabetes check before you get that eye check, particularly if you have any weight on you. Vision going blurry fast enough for you to notice is one of the classic symptoms. Another is scab like places on your shins.

The ordinary blood sugar test is not enough. Ask your doctor for the long term test. I nearly died when I thought all that was wrong was a little blurry vision and I had had three blood sugar tests in the previous two years.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
how friday went
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 02:10:51 AM »
Leftoverdj,
  Thanks for handing out some great advise here. I don't mind losing my hair, but would hate to see my vision go. It's been on a slow decline since forty, but still very correctable and it's just following the rest of my body down that slippery slope. Diabetes runs on my wifes side of the family, and testing is very important, as you say especially for those with some weight to them.
Don

Offline .308

• Contributor
how friday went
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 02:22:05 AM »
Quote from: Leftoverdj
The ordinary blood sugar test is not enough. Ask your doctor for the long term test. I nearly died when I thought all that was wrong was a little blurry vision and I had had three blood sugar tests in the previous two years.

DJ, I just had my annual physical, Doc said blood sugar was fine. How do I know which test I got? Do you have to ask for the long term test specifically? What is the difference between the two? I'm past 50 and could shed a pound or two. :oops:

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
how friday went
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 04:31:59 AM »
I do have diabetes. I just take a pill. (so far) I went to a local archery shop to try a couple of releases I bought. I noticed that the target i was looking at seem to blur a bit. I had just cleaned my glasses before I left the house. So, I thought well I guess it's time for me to get another eye  exam. It's been 2 yrs since I had one. I don't mind getting an exam, but I've got to find a place that don't charge an arm and a leg for glasses(bifocals). I'm retired military, (ARMY) I know that I'll get some more birth control glasses. But, you know that some of these places advertise this and that, but some where along the line, it costs is different than what they say. :x And I don't want contacts; I give up on trying to be handsome some yrs ago. :-D            Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
how friday went
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 05:48:56 AM »
308, what you want to get is an 'A1C' test.  Just had one last Thursday and I'm hoping for a continued good report.  I, like Tommy, just have to take a pill for the time being.  I'm not insulin dependant.  By all means get the test.  Oh, BTW Tommy, I'm retired Air Force.
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline Leftoverdj

how friday went
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 06:46:06 AM »
The problem with the simple blood sugar test is that it only measures your sugar at the time of the tests. Many of us who develope diabetes late in life (Type 2) still produce insulin and still show normal blood sugar levels at times. Now that I know that I have diabetes, lost 40 pounds, and watch my diet, I don't even need the pill.

At the time I was diagnoised, I was trying to flush a kidney stone and had been drinking maybe three litres of soda a day for about ten days. A normal person could do that with nothing to worry about gaining a little weight. My system can still cope with with the amount of sugar in maybe one glass of soda a day and still show normal. On that rare for me, massive intake my sugar levels rose to the "I don't know why the hell you are still alive" level. (My doctor really did call me at home when the test results came back to see if I was still living.)

That was five years back. Two doctors have since retired on me because of THEIR health problems and my current doc tells me he would not know that I have diabetes were it not in my records. It can be lived with once you know you have it.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.