Author Topic: Handi-holics: Need opinions re: two Handi-barrels in .223 cal.  (Read 727 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Please:

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,279657.0.html

Annealed too much - perhaps.  Need insight/advice on thread above in handloading section of GBO.

Offline sluggo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Handi-holics: Need opinions re: two Handi-barrels in .223 cal.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »
 I don't have load data for jacketed .223 with IMR 4227, just cast which I keep under 2500 fps so I don't end up with dust for bullets.

Starting load for my H&R 55 gr led sleds: 11.0 @ 1765 fps up to 14.0 @2234 fps

...just to clarify, I shoot these cast out of my AR also, so I intentionally keep the load below 2500 fps.
...there are many kinds of wounded, and only one kind of dead. Do it the Handi way, one shot, one kill.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
Remember the guy on here that blew off a couple fingers a while back?? I see you following in his footsteps. :-\

Spanky

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
My advice would be to start over with different brass. I don't shoot any cartridges that have compromised components. It's just too risky. I think Bill put it best when he said, "there's old reloaders and bold reloaders, but not any old, bold reloaders."

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
LO,

If you annealled the entire piece of brass it is junk and possibly an accident waiting to happen.  Do a google search on how to anneal brass and pay attention to the warnings regarding annealing to much of the case.    If you send me your address I will send you 100 1xfired 5.56 LC that have had the primer pockets decrimped with a Dillon Super Swager.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline colt1960

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
I agree with the others. throw the brass in the trash and start over. the bottom 2/3 of the brass is work hardened when made and you removed that when drying. only the top portion of the brass should ever be annealled.

Offline sluggo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
 I forgot to mention...4227 is a faster burning powder too.......use it in just the reduced cast loads, but my jacketed bullets like the 4895, Varget,RL12 range powders.
...there are many kinds of wounded, and only one kind of dead. Do it the Handi way, one shot, one kill.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
Land_Owner - I posted also on your other thread about "too much annealing".  I have to agree with the other guys, and recommend that you recycle the brass, as it's no good for reloading anymore. 

I also mentioned that the powder is too fast for the 223, and should not be used.  That's probably the reason that Dupont doesn't list 4227 for the 223.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
+1 on the recyle it; if alum. beverage cans are worth recyling, so is cartridge brass. Might want to bash each with a hammer to keep anybody from thinking to use it from where you sell it.

BTW, I did that overlong grill thing with some premium brats way back, they ended up the size of cheap hot dogs and looked like what comes out the south end of a north bound hound.
They werent worth 'using' either  :P
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:50 PM »
Remember the guy on here that blew off a couple fingers a while back?? 

No I do not remember that fellow and No I don't want to follow in that guy's footsteps. 

If you send me your address I will send you 100 1xfired 5.56 LC that have had the primer pockets decrimped with a Dillon Super Swager.

BB, I sincerely appreciate your offer but it would be greedy of me to follow it up.  I already have about 90 times that many primed, swaged, small base die sized, (some) factory annealed, deburred, non-fire formed cases from which to start over.

Thanks to all for your concern and reasoned opinions.  I cherish ALL of my extremities and hear you LOUD and CLEAR.  In the trash these cases go.  Back to the reloading table to find a suitable alternative.