Author Topic: 9mm Luger expander and seater for 380ACP?  (Read 499 times)

Offline Anonym

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
    • AREA 5150
9mm Luger expander and seater for 380ACP?
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:19 AM »
I have a nice set of Hornady New Dimension dies that I love for my 9mm.  I've been loading for my 380 as well and wasn't all that pleased with how the finished product looked with the expander and roll crimp seater for the little rounds.  I experimented last night with using the expander and seater dies from my 9mm set and they seem to work just fine.  Is there anything I'm missing on doing this?  I have not shot any of the loaded ammo yet and thought I'd better ask before I do.

Thanks,
Anonym

Can't hardly wait on deer season and the 2016 Presidential Elections...

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: 9mm Luger expander and seater for 380ACP?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:43 AM »
Measure loaded round width with your caliper and check dimension against published data for higher confidence and a final determination.  I think, but am not sure, that 9mm is the LONG version of 380 acp.  Same width I think.  Double check caliper measurement BEFORE pulling a trigger on one.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
There's about .020 difference in case head dia between the 9 and .380, the 9 being larger. You aren't hurting anything by expanding and seating with 9 mm dies. You won't be able to size the case with 9mm dies, or apply a proper crimp. I'd use the .380 dies for the .380. There's no good reason not to do so.
Good Luck,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Anonym

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
    • AREA 5150
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:16:54 AM »
Thanks fellas.  Didn't think the expanding and seating was an issue, but crimping was definitely something I wanted but didn't think about not being able to do with the shorter case.  I'll stick with the .380 dies.
Can't hardly wait on deer season and the 2016 Presidential Elections...