Author Topic: Vegas mayor blasted for gay marriage comments  (Read 809 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Vegas mayor blasted for gay marriage comments
« on: February 26, 2004, 01:19:09 AM »
Vegas mayor blasted by Republican for gay marriage comments

ASSOCIATED PRESS
2/25/2004 11:17 pm
LAS VEGAS — Mayor Oscar Goodman has been accused of promoting a “homosexual agenda” by a Republican activist who has mounted a computerized telephone campaign.

Goodman vowed Wednesday not to be drawn into a national debate about gay marriage after activist Tony Dane criticized Goodman’s support for a businessman who was refused a lease for a drag-themed club at a struggling downtown entertainment complex.

“There’s no room in my town for hate-mongering,” Goodman said.

“The American way allows people to say whatever they want to say,” Goodman said. “I will not be pulled into the trap he’s trying to set.”

Dane said his firm, Dane & Associates, made about 30,000 computerized phone calls Tuesday to Las Vegas residents and would make about 70,000 more this week in a city of about 529,000.

“It’s my voice. I’m paying for it,” Dane said of the campaign he estimated was costing $1,000.

“Tell him to keep his homosexual agenda to himself,” Dane’s telephone recording says, accusing Goodman of “pushing his own agenda, just like the mayor of San Francisco.”

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom has given the go-ahead for his city to issue licenses for same-sex marriages, arguing the California Constitution’s equal protection provision trumps state law barring gay marriage. President Bush backed a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage on Tuesday, citing the rush of San Francisco weddings and a recent ruling by Massachusetts’ highest court.

“Next thing you can expect is for Goodman to allow same-sex marriage in the city limits,” Dane said in his phone message. “Don’t let this happen.”

Nevada voters approved a state constitutional ban on same-sex marriages in 2002, and Goodman said he would not propose allowing them in Las Vegas.

Goodman said he opposes same-sex marriages as part of his Jewish faith.

Goodman, who has been mentioned as a possible Democratic candidate for governor in 2006, said he hoped Dane’s personal attack didn’t represent “gay-bashing and intolerance for political motivation.”

In 1996 Dane ran against David Parks, who won a state Assembly seat as an openly gay Democrat. Dane has been involved in other campaigns, but not as a candidate, he said.

Dane said he was angered by Goodman’s support for Donald Troxel, whose drag-themed nightclub was rejected by managers at Neonopolis, a $99 million movie, arcade, bar and retail complex built partly with taxpayer funds.

Goodman this week said Neonopolis managers had defaulted on their lease, citing discrimination against Troxel and their failure to provide financial statements to the city.

Neonopolis representatives did not respond to requests for comment.

Contacted at his Celebrity Show and Dance Club in Dayton, Ohio, Troxel said he appreciated Goodman’s support.

“It’s crazy how they’re doing this and connecting it with gay marriages,” Troxel said. “Las Vegas ought to be glad they’ve got a mayor willing to stand up for people’s rights. All he’s doing is trying to back an honest businessman.”
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Avid Poster
Vegas mayor blasted for gay marriage commen
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 04:04:52 AM »
Just think about it for a minute.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom has given the go-ahead for his city to issue licenses for same-sex marriages.

By issueing licenses they are registering some or all of the gays.  I don't know what they will or if they will use this information for but they will have it through the licenses they issue.  

May for medical reasons or some kind of research??

Just some thoughts :roll:

Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline NYH1

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 07:05:37 AM »
I didn't think "mayor's" had the kind of power needed to make "decisions" like that. Marriage laws are regulated on a state to state bases by STATE LAWMAKERS! Mayor's are so far down on the food chain and if they allow "gays" to get married in a state that its against the law they should be arrested and prosecuted. Plain and simple. Most cities in this country are a mess. Mayor's should worry about the cities they were elected to serve and let the state lawmakers worry about states (not that their doing any better). :evil:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hay New York Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 08:26:01 AM »
You should be glad you're in Syracuse Buddy, 'cause if the wind was blowin' the other way you would smell the same sort of garbage from Schenectady's newly elected mayor who opined that he has nothing against same sex marriages and that he would perform marriage cermonies for any couple who could legally wed.  Smells like something I shouldn't have stepped in on the way to work.

But, on the other hand and as Minnesota Dick said, 'think about it for a minute............they are registering gays.  Now, ain't that a though.........

And, of course, the post by Monsieur Dali Lama should have given us all a great insight:  in Nevada, it cost only $1,000 to have about 100,000 computerized telephone calls made.  That's cheap.  If we (shooters, etc) us the same application we could make one hay of a lot of calls either for or agin various politicians or issues.  

We sure bitch a lot about issues we feel are beginning to encroach upon our freedoms but very few of us do anything about it except bitch.  Something like this means that if 10 gun owners/shooters/hunters put up about a hundred dollars each, we could possibly muster about one hundred thousand computerized telephone calls in our support.  That just about makes the dollar mightier than the pen.  

Think about this - everytime your local buttsniffs start calling for more restrictive gun legislation or more restrictions, etc., for next to not a lot between a group of people a tremendously 'anti' response could be provided.  What would happen if everytime some legislative aide got off a rape charge because of politics, some anti-gun/hunter got more press than the good guys, and more of the anti's had their say than we do our say, we flooded the telephone lines with hundreds of thousands of telephone calls in our favor - why shucks folks, we just might get heard a lot more.  We should think about that - I am.  And for that Mr. Dali Lama, I very much appreciate your posting that information.  Mikey.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 08:27:14 AM »
Quote from: MINNESOTA DICK
By issueing licenses they are registering some or all of the gays.  I don't know what they will or if they will use this information for but they will have it through the licenses they issue.  

Dali Llama say "wrong" person with access to such list could do many thing, not all of which be desired by or beneficial to gay populace... :eek:  :lol:  :lol:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk