Author Topic: Do I need gas checks for my cast 9mm  (Read 1639 times)

Offline JB Weld

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • Fix anything from brokn heart to the crack of dawn
Do I need gas checks for my cast 9mm
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
I made a deal a few weeks ago for a casting set up.  In that deal were about 1000 cast 9mm (prov from wheel weights). They were cast in a Lee mold and have the micro grooves.  I tumble lubed them today (with Alox) and am ready to size them.  I will be shooting these from my Ruger LC9.

Do I need to put gas checks on these?
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."  ~Stonewall Jackson~  24 July 1861

Sappers Forward - 12BP

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Do I need gas checks for my cast 9mm
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
Short answer no on the gas checks. I think you need to take a step back before reloading cast bullets. You said Lee Micro grove bullets. I think what you meant to say was Lee Tumble lube bullets.  if sized at all. Some require no sizeing if cast from wheel weights. If they do need sized. They should be pushed through the Lee size die, Most times this would be a die .001 over the jacketed bullet size for the same caliber. And then tumble lubed.
If you are just starting out I would get a copy of the Lyman cast bullet book, Its very cheap and will help you in many ways.

Offline JB Weld

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:55:38 PM »
Thanks hornady!  That is just what I was looking for.  I will find a copy of the book and get to reading.
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."  ~Stonewall Jackson~  24 July 1861

Sappers Forward - 12BP

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:06:04 AM »
JB Weld,

Here is a good read also:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Enjoy,

Froghunter

"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:15 AM »
I just started casting again after a 10 +yr break.  I was pleased to find a lot of good info in the Lee Reloading manual too. Especially about Lee molds, cleaning lubing, smoking as well as the Lee bullet and sizer designs.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:19:51 AM »
The tumble lube bullets are designed to be shot as is. Most likely when they go through a sizer, the lube groves will be crushed flat and defeat their purpose. Just lube them and after they're dry, load them but bell the case mouth first
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline JB Weld

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 03:08:00 AM »
JB Weld,

Here is a good read also:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Enjoy,

Froghunter

I found that one FH, and am reading right now. It is a good read.

Sappers Forward - 12BP

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »
short of a custom mold i dont think your even going to find a mold for a gas checked 9mm bullet
blue lives matter

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 05:57:55 AM »
As stated above, no need for gas checking a 9mm bullet, even if you could find a mold for one.

FWIW; I have size next to 1.25 zillion Lee tumble lube design bullets and have never "crushed flat" any grooves. Of course if you were trying to drop the OD .010"-015" mebbe the grooves would be pretty shallow, but they would still be there...

Offline D Fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
If the heel is cut for a gas check, I'd do it. I use tumble lube bullet's in my 30-06 and it use's gas checks. Tumble lube bullet's are supposed to be lubed before sizing and after sizing.

Offline GroovyMike

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 05:49:58 AM »
If the bullet is designed for a gas check, use it.  But if not you don't need one.