Author Topic: loading for the Taurus Thunderbolt slide action 45Colt  (Read 358 times)

Offline hansg/Ups

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
loading for the Taurus Thunderbolt slide action 45Colt
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
Any experience,quirks,etc to loading for the Taurus Thunderbolt 45Colt slide action[26"]?
I'm experienced with 45 Colt loads for revolvers,but revolvers are typically less restrictive asto acceptable loads.
 I'm be doing hunting/defense loads,not merely paper punchers.
Thanks.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: loading for the Taurus Thunderbolt slide action 45Colt
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
I hope yours turns out better than the two I'm familiar with. The rifle suffers from poor feeding and the action is weak at best. You have to be careful in the loading data as the action gets blown full of soot from the low pressure loads blowing around the brass. The key is to use a powder that generates enough pressure to seal the gases off. Universal worked under a 225 gr bullet- 7.5grs as I remember. Velocity was only something like 800'ps. Hardly a defense or hunting weapon but it beats a stick. Both of those I'm familiar with are no longer in the friends possession. It was just too much of a PIA to deal with all of the BS with the gun like you can't be gentle with working the action or it'll jam but be too aggressive and it breaks. They are pretty though.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: loading for the Taurus Thunderbolt slide action 45Colt
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
I had one a few years ago too and had the same problems. I would feed round nosed loads fairly well but anything else was a exercise in frustration. To bad though as there pretty cool guns.
blue lives matter