Author Topic: Million Moms Planning Another Anti-Gun Rally  (Read 935 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Million Moms Planning Another Anti-Gun Rally
« on: February 20, 2004, 04:29:19 PM »
Million Moms Planning Another Anti-Gun Rally
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
February 16, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Moms who dislike guns plan to gather in Washington on Mother's Day weekend "to demand gun violence solutions," as their press release put it.

"With children at risk in their schools, their playgrounds and their communities," mothers and others will rally on the weekend of May 8-10, the Million Mom March announced on Monday.

They're calling their rally the "Halt the Assault Weekend."

The group announced its plans on Monday, outside Martin Luther King Jr. High School in New York City, where two students were shot on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday in 2002.

"There are war casualties all around us," said Shikha Hamilton, a spokesperson for Halt the Assault. "We need to stand up and say we've had enough," she added. "We are calling a timeout in the war against the next generation -- our children."

The Million Mom March announced that Essence magazine has agreed to foot part of the bill for the event. The magazine will "reach out aggressively to attract supporters over the next three months," the press release said.

The Mother's Day anti-gun rally will include an interfaith service, speakers, entertainers, "informational" booths and "other visual elements," organizers said.

"The weekend will be preceded by events throughout America urging rational steps to reduce gun violence through legislation, public education, lobbying and other activities," the Million Mom March announced.

"Locally based chapters of the Million Mom March will hold press conferences and other events in their cities to call attention to the need for action to protect America's children."

The group said further details will be posted on its website.

The Million Mom March entered the lexicon on Mother's Day 2000, when thousands of people gathered on the Mall in Washington D.C. to demand "saner gun policies."

"Since our last march, 120,000 Americans -- almost 14,000 of them children -- have died from gun violence," said Mary Leigh Blek, president emeritus of the Million Mom March.

The group's press release did not say whether its definition of "child" includes older teenagers who are involved in gang activity or criminal acts.

Gun foes are pressing Congress to renew and strengthen a national assault weapons ban that is due to expire on Sept. 13.

Unless Congress renews the ban, "AK47s and Uzis will be legal and easier for criminals to acquire," the Million Mom March declared.

The group also complains that, "Weeks ago, the gun lobby's friends in Congress passed a dreadful law that requires rapid destruction of Brady background check records. In the coming weeks, those same Congressional allies of the gun lobby will try to pass gun industry immunity that would slam the courthouse doors on gun violence victims and protect reckless gun dealers..."

"We are all entitled to a life free of gun violence," said Essence magazine's Editor-in-Chief Diane Weathers in the press release announcing Halt the Assault. Essence caters to African-American women.

"The magazine will work hard to help spread the word that women of every color and every economic background have an opportunity to be a force for positive change. The Million Mom March will unite these women and show the impact they have in saving lives," Weathers said.

The Million Mom March describes itself as a grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Million Moms Planning Another Anti-Gun Rall
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 05:23:59 PM »
They ought to be home, teaching their kids not to be violent!!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 03:10:15 AM »
Or taking "better care" of their husbands    :wink: , if they still have any.
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 05:23:23 AM »
Quote from: RIFLERANGER
Or taking "better care" of their husbands    :wink: , if they still have any.
Ranger
Dali Llama say that unlikely, as he hear they left them in San Francisco...

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 02:22:03 PM »
It's funny,when we had our kids,my wife had a hard time going to the toilet,if I were not home.Can someone tell me please,how do these moms find time to do this?And still do the things a mom must do!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 03:31:34 PM »
Quote from: Red Neck64
It's funny,when we had our kids,my wife had a hard time going to the toilet,if I were not home.Can someone tell me please,how do these moms find time to do this?And still do the things a mom must do!
Dali Llama say something apparently neglected. :(

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 01:00:19 PM »
I think about 100,000 "moms" showed up for the first "million mom" march.  The media didn't pick up on that.  Maybe if the moms (and dads) were doing their job we wouldn't have nearly the number of dead kids (or illiterate kids, illegitimate kids, immoral kids, fat kids, drunk kids, stoned kids, or parent kids).  No, instead lets blame a piece of metal and wood.  These are interesting times in which we live.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 01:05:03 PM »
Mauser you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your comments on the subject I agree with you 100+ percent. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline magooch

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 03:02:26 PM »
It will be interesting to see how John Effing Kerry handles this.  Somehow, I'm sure he will try to have it both ways.  No doubt he'll blame George Bush for the gun violence and he'll tell the moms how he supports gun control, then he'll try to say he is a hunter, or some other lame nonsense.  And oh yeah "don't forget, I'm a war hero".
Swingem

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 03:04:45 PM »
Quote from: Mauser
These are interesting times in which we live.
Dali Llama say he can think of several more colorful adjectives to precede "times," but they not likely be acceptable herein. :(