Author Topic: Range Report 25-06 Handi / With Winchester Scope  (Read 843 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Range Report 25-06 Handi / With Winchester Scope
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »
I had taken the scope off my 25-06 Handi to use on something else.  I had been given a Winchester 4-24X50 scope.  The scope got a lens broken several years ago.  I finally decided to do something with it.  Got in touch with the folks at Iron Site, they made the repair.  So I mounted the Winchester scope on the Handi 25-06.  Did the 1 shot 25 yard site in.  Fired two shots at 50 yards, made corrections.  Fired three shots at 100 yards.  Three inches right and three inches high.  Made corrections moving the bullet to the left.  Threw six 4" clay targets up on the bank at 337 yards.  First three shots were misses, and I made corrections after each shot.  Fourth shot connected.  Then I picked off the other five in a row.  Then went back and got the larger pieces.  I'd say it's sited in for three hundred yards.  The 25-06 has lots of potential don't let it go to waste.

I'll let you know how it works the next time I go hunting.  Rog 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Range Report 25-06 Handi / With Winchester Scope
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
Rog,
  Big Army says I have at least one more year before I can be moved. You keep tempting me with long range shooting and nearly year round hunting and I may just up and leave Ft Sill and come sign-in at Ft WW. What's the worst they could say or do? Send me to A-Stan, again? Been there twice, got the t-shirt both times!  ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
If you get back up here, ya got to learn the lingo.  We ride snowmachines, not snowmobiles.  In the bush they are called Sno-gos. 

As for the hunting, August is Sheep and Goat.  Caribou in some areas don't open till the last few days of August.  Sept is usually Moose.  Grizzly opens in Sept and Closes the end if June.  Same with Wolves.  Coyotes are considered an invasive species, No Closed Season, No Limit.  Black Bear, no closed season, limit of three in most areas.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
I figured that caliber would be fine for the lower 48 anyway, then remembered reading years ago the Natives up that way considered the 22Hornet good medicine.
No matter how ya cut it, thats fine shooting!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline HWB13

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »
Rog, sounds good.  I got one in the spring, got the scope mounted but haven't been able to get that one to the range yet.  Hope it works as good as yours.

Dinny, after 20 yrs in the Marine Corps watch what you ask for you might get it.  But I know the frustation with only having short ranges.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 06:34:27 AM »
Going today to finish fine tuning.  Sighting in at 300 yards.  That will give me the vertical range I am looking for.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
Did not go yesterday as planned.  Wife wanted to drive up the Dalton Highway.  We had a good drive, Jeep covered in mud when we got back.  Temp was in the mid 80s, did not hike far.  Even the dog wanted to go back to the A/C in the Jeep.

Got to the range this morning about 8 AM.  Two guys there as I drove up.  Both loaded up and left.  Kind of strange being there all alone.  Usually 30 to 100 people there.  Guess that's what happens when they are out of ammo, or don't want to use what they have.  Got both 25-06s sighted in for 300 yards.  They both like the same load.  110gr Nosler Accubond, in front of 57.5grs Retumbo.  Five round average 3227fps.  At 175 yards I'm 3.62 inches high.  Dead on at 300, and 3.35 at 350yards.  That's the max without dialing the scope.  I shot a 2.75 inch group with the Savage, and a 3.25 inch group with the Handi at 300 yards.  Three shot groups.  Did have a slight variable crosswind.

The Savage has a brake, the Handi does not.  After shooting the Savage, I can definately tell the difference when I touch one off with the Handi.  I got the Handi 25-06 used out of a gun shop in Texas.  The previous owner really worked on the trigger, and I like it.  I'd say it's somewhere between 1.5 and 2 lbs.  Just put your finger on the trigger and feel the resistance, then just think fire and it goes off.  It's definately one of those guns I won't loan out.

Did get a box of large and a box of small rifle primers today at Sportsman's.  Good thing, I just ran out of 25-06 loads.  Had everything but primers.  Now I'm good to go.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
Rog,
  That's some good shooting. I get the same groups........but at 100yds. Someday I'll learn to shoot. :-\

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
Dinny, first thing is to learn to slow your heart rate down.  Then be able to time your shot between heartbeats.  When you are at high power on your scope you can see that every time your heart beats the scope cross hairs will move.  I'm right handed so in my case the scope moves right, then comes back left, then recenters for a moment.  By slowing your heart beat, the time between the movements is lengthened.  Here is where you need a very light trigger.  1 1/2 to 2 pounds is what I like.  You place your trigger finger on the trigger, and very lightly feel the resistance.  Then when the crosshairs recenter you think of the shot, Bang, the gun goes off without your conciously squeezing the trigger.  I have a .308 Parker Haile, A TCR Set Trigger, My big Weatherby, a .338 Ruger M-77, and now a 25-06 Handi with the light triggers I like.  I'm still working on the .223 Ultra Handi, Savage 25-06, and .17 Hornet.  Now you know why I never loan certain guns to anyone.  I loan out the ones with heavy triggers like the Encore, or my Remington Pump. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Dinny

I second the benefits of slowing your heart rate down, the 1.5-2 lb trigger and I personally like a trigger shoe.