Author Topic: Winchester Alaskan  (Read 1480 times)

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Winchester Alaskan
« on: December 02, 2012, 04:12:42 AM »
"Alaskan" does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it. I saw that the "Alaskan" has made a "comeback" in the Winchester website. Complete with the lug for the rear sight! While it does not have the screw tapped into it, aesthetics are where its at. I'll be the 1st to admit I was somewhat irritated when the conglomerate ceased production in New Haven," How could they", but when I handled a S.Carolina rifle I will admit to it but, Not Bad.
    I saw the 375 H&H was a shot show special, and my dreams were shattered, thinking it was out of my reach, but, found one recently, from "Buds" in Kentucky. I had to have it, NOWW!! to say I am impressed is an understatement. Bolt throw, while always good, is exceptionally smooth. Fit and finish is superb, it is everything one would expect from a Winchester, Old or new. I had at one time a Super Express 375 H&H, the 1st year they were offered in CRF. The stock design did not fit me at all, a personal thing, I know. While not one to complain about the weight of a rifle, it was heavy, not for a 458, but yes, for a 375. The front sight was canted to one side, long story short, it went down the road without even firing a shot.
  I recently ran some 250 grain Sierras through the Alaskan, getting ready for the upcoming and now behind us WI Deer season. 65-70gr of IMR 4064 produced ragged hole accuracy, in fact if you were to load 1 ea. 65 thru 70 you could interchange the ammo and all that changes is the velocity. A trait with the 'ol H&H.
 With the rifle blooded with a large bodied Whitetail with the 250 Sierra, I will now sit down and really see what this rifle will do. 270gr Hornady spire points will get the nod next and getting some Hornady 300gr DGX & DGS to shoot to same POI. You never know when a Cape or water Buffalo will make its way into my backyard ;D .
  Anyone else pick up one of these new Alaskans? What do you think, I don't know if you can tell, but I LIKE MINE! 8)
CRASH87

Offline SharonAnne

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Winchester Alaskan
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »
the updated Mauser design of the Winchester Model 70 has always been a favorite. The .375 H&H is a fabulous cartridge. Should I win a lottery, and my health improve, a .375H&H will find its way into my hands, on a traditional safari in the Republic of South Africa.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:09:35 AM »
What did those poor WI deer do to deserve their demise from a 375 H&H?  ;D One would think a 30-30 is a bit easier on the shooter and will kill just as well.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:39 AM »
Actually Dinny, While it may be a 375 H&H in appearance, ballistically, it may be something else.
Bullet; Sierra 250gr. SBT
Powder: 65.0 gr IMR 4064
primer: CCI 200
Velocity 2420fps / ex.sp. 014Fps. / SD. 007
More of a 375WCF on a velocity binge.
I have a friend who uses a 458 Win. on pretty much everything these days. I load it down for deer (45/70 ballistics) and full power for moose and such. He has taken 2 with that rifle. I have used rifles, that are a bit overkill on ones shoulder, not the quarry. In fact, I am having a Savage "Hog Rifle" change from a 338 WM to what I concider a true hog rifle, a 416 Taylor. Cast bullets will even make it an affordable prairie dog rifle, IMHO.  ;)
  The reason being is to "use" the rifle. I may have a trip planned or just like the fit and feel of the gun. Using it, allows me to become proficient with it, allowing me the confidence to use it "with" confidence. Being a handloader its easy to match the ballistics to the game or a lesser cartridge to achieve the same results.
CRASH87

Offline DCmauser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
I got one in plain 30 cal. offered as a new chambering this year or last.  The barrel is 25" makes for a heavier platform, and almost same price as the super fancier grades (if the fancy style/super price suits, and then if one could find any), but with a different choice of caliber choices. 

A custom shop on the web (WWG) makes "Alaskans" based on the Marlin 1895 guide gun with a very short 18.5" BBL.