Author Topic: buying equipment  (Read 827 times)

Offline mmt7714

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
buying equipment
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
well, I am finally breaking down and getting into the reloading business. About to anyway. I am just torn between how to go about it. I can buy a kit type setup that comes with most everything needed. That will get me started quickly, but most likely I will end up replacing some of the cheaper items I don't like. Now I could take a little longer and buy my equipment a little at a time and put my own set up together. This will be a little easier on the pocket book considering I can buy when I can afford too, but will obviously take a little longer to set up. I am leaning towards going this route. If I can be patient, I will end up with my own set up tailored to my needs. What do you guys think. Best way to go?

Mike

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: buying equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:30:34 AM »
I check the estate type sales.....I also got lucky and  knew a guy who got fed up with reloading.....he just gave me what he had.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
I pieced mine together. I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker, 505 scale and a couple of loading manuals. All of which I still use, except the manuals, they have been upgraded with newer ones. I used the arm on the press to prime my cases for years. I have since gotten a priming tool. That was back before the internet, now you could get by without the loading manuals, and look every thing up on the internet, including how to reload, just make sure you use reliable data. I am a little old school and I like using the books, there is a lot of information there and I can look things up very quickly and I do not have to rely on the internet being up. But you can get by without them to save money. You can then add pieces as you go, to make it easier. You will need to add a case trimmer, I used the Lee type to start with. I have powered tools now that I used to use by hand. I have a powered case trimmer, a powered powder thrower a powered case prep center, etc. You do not need these things, they make your "chore" easier however. My biggest advice is buy something once. Do not buy and have to replace later or upgrade, that costs you more in the long run. I cannot remember how much I paid for the Rock Chucker, but if I remember, it seemed steep at the time, but I am still using it to load every case I have.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »
I started reloading about a year and half ago.  I went the piecemeal route and I'm glad I did.  Those kits have everything you need but often the scales are not very good and things like the lube pad are not what I wanted to use.  I'm not brand loyal either, I find I like some equipment like dies by one company and not others.  Keep in mind some equipment like hand priming tools work best with that company shell holders. 

Keep a look out at local classifieds, EBay, etc.  The classifieds on forums like this one are a good place to look too.   Right now stuff is priced high on line but good deals do come up now and then so be vigilant looking.  For used equipment I try to find RCBS stuff since they're warranty will cover lost or broken parts.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
Wander around pawn shops and the local gun stores and listen. I have hit upon a guy here that is pretty well heeled, and he has connections, he buys whole estates, gun shops that are going out of business etc, he picks what he wants out and sells the rest for about 75-80% of wholesale. He has these finds 3-4 times a year. About a month ago he had a sale, he was selling 1X fired brass for nickel a piece, new RCBS dies $25, shotgun wads $3 a bag. Odds are you can pick up a bunch of deals just by being more observant , although it sounds morbid, watch the obituaries, often they will mention someone was a hunter or sportsman and not list many survivors, that usually means an estate sale. Someone is going to get it.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
Buy it used piece by piece. The older stuff is high quality (made in the USA) and built to last 10 lifetimes. Some very good deals exist out there just waiting to be had.

Offline FPH

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »
I have RCBS rock chuckers and another good brand I have is Champion (very heavy duty).

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
i got my first stuff from i guy who
thought he wanted to reload, but
didn't like it. most of mine was bought
piecemeal that way.
don't be afraid to get started thinking you
might buy something you won't want.
everybody does. you just get shed of what
you don't use and get something you can use.
everyone does things their own way to a degree,
and you'll eventually find your own way too.

my advice would be first off to find an experienced
reloader that will let you come watch them
reload some ammo of a type similar to what
you are wanting to reload, and let you help
so you can get a feel of what to do and what not
to do.
second would be to obtain some new reloading manuals
and read them over to familiarize yourself with some of
the procedure. lyman and lee manuals use all of
the powders and bullet weights and types. the
bullet and powder manufacturers manuals only show
loads with their products. ( ie- a hornady manual only
shows loads with hornady bullets, etc)
last but not least, get a durable notebook that you
can record everything you load in detail. when you
have a exceptional load, you can refer back to
what you did right. (probably the most important item)

good luck
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline mmt7714

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »
appreciate the responses, and it basically confirmed what I was already thinking. I will piece it together as I go. Now, one other question, will most dies work with most presses. Say I have an RCBS press, will Lee dies work. I assume they will but just checking.

Mike

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »
I bought a kit to start. I was not able to find used in the time frame I had. I have used everything in the kit with the exception of the primeing arm for the press, it came with the hand primer.

I believe it was the Rock Chucker Supreme, I have since added a dial caliper and the Lee case trimmer tools for each chamberings. A regular trimmer might have been a better choice but I get along good without it.

Looking at the reloading supplies in my area I'm betting you have plenty of time to collect. I would advise you to buy every piece as it becomes available not in some notion of what you need first, second, etc.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
most dies are a standard 7/8's
i think some of the dillon dies are
different, but i don't know for sure.
someone here with a dillon can
set you straight. i've always reloaded
with a single stage press. i've tried
a hornady and an rcbs progressive, but
i don't need to load ammo fast or volume
wise enough to justify the cost and trouble.

all of my dies are different. i have mostly
rcbs and lee and some redding. the inexpensive
lee's have worked as good for me as the
high-dollar redding. if you're gonna shoot
benchrest or some kind of competition, you'll
likely end up with some kind of expensive
benchrest competition dies, and an
expensive single stage press.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
i also have 2 c-h dies, but you'll
likely never see any of those.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 12:08:03 AM »
Ive been asked this same thing by friends and proably half of them started and there equiptment is either collecting dust or they sold it. My advice anymore is to go and buy one of those cheap lee starter kits. It comes with some fairly low quality stuff but it will load ammo and if you decide to quit your not out much and if you decide to get into it more some of it can be still used. For under a 150 bucks you can by there kit which with the addition of some powder primers and bullets you can get started. Heck anymore thats about what a guy would pay for 4 boxes of shells.
blue lives matter

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »
Yes, most dies are 7/8 ths.  With the exception of the Dillon Square Deal dies and the Lyman 310 dies.  These are specialty dies and you don't run across them very often.  The threads are shallower and finer than the "normal" dies.  Easy to see the difference laid side by side.  Search on line and you will see what I mean.

If you like shopping, piecemeal it.  Compare, buy another one and sell the one you don't like.  You will find your style develops from here.  The Dillon 550 is a progressive press that uses normal dies.  The Lee and RCBS pistol dies are sharp shouldered and don't guide the brass into the die as easily as the belled Dillon dies.  Small difference and most people don't get bothered by this.  It slows me down trying to wiggle fit each case into the sizing die.  Try it, you will understand.

All the big names are good.  Lee has affordable equipment that requires a little more patience to operate.  Some people are patient enough for this.  I'm not knocking Lee.  They have their benefits.  Try it and see what you like.  I've used a bunch of Lee stuff.  And RCBS and Lyman and Dillon and Pacific and ...
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt