Author Topic: Know your ammo...a reminder  (Read 773 times)

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Know your ammo...a reminder
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
After missing(badly) a target of opportunity at 100 yards with the .410 slug gun, I decided to spend a little more time at the range to figure things out. Grabbed a couple boxes of shells and headed out. 25 yards,  spot on. 50 yards a little high, but satisfactory. 100 yards, high, then low then high...hmmmm. Got to looking at the ammo boxes and realized those little charts are really quite accurate:

The top box is new Remington Sluggers, the bottom box is Remington Express .410 which I assume must be older ammo...not sure. Long story short, I looked at the bottom chart and loaded the top ammo....and shot right over the top of a big fat woodchuck. Lesson learned, make SURE only Sluggers go in the ammo sleeve on the scoped .410, and maybe the next woodchuck won't be so lucky... 8)
Scott B.

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Know your ammo...a reminder
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:36:26 AM »
You might want to check your scope/mounts, make sure everything's okay with them.

The top box shows the trajectory with a sight-in distance that looks to be about 30 yards, the bottom box just shows the drop with the muzzle level with the ground.

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »
You might want to check your scope/mounts, make sure everything's okay with them.

The top box shows the trajectory with a sight-in distance that looks to be about 30 yards, the bottom box just shows the drop with the muzzle level with the ground.
Thanks, I'll do that! And upon further review, I see what you mean about trajectory vs. drop in inches. Another part of the equation is I'm looking through a 1x20 wide angle shotgun scope, good for short range....not the best for 100 yards. Probably should stick to my original theory of limiting my shots to 50 yards or less... ::) ...Scott B.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »
I am going to assume that the barrel is a smooth bore one.  If so, 100-yard accuracy might be hit or miss regardless of which slug you stuff in that gun...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:23:36 AM »
I am going to assume that the barrel is a smooth bore one.  If so, 100-yard accuracy might be hit or miss regardless of which slug you stuff in that gun...

I'm thinking you are right.....I am 7 for 8 on woodchucks out to 65 yards with the .410 slug gun, number 8 was out at 100+ yards in a corn field and it was either run him down or sling lead, I chose sling lead... ;) ....If I know the shots will be at that range there are much better options available in the gun locker... 8)
Scott B.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »
A 410 will certainly mow a woodchuck down...

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »
 there was a coon in my truck
i ran to the safe and grabbed a shot gun  and  2 rounds
got out side to confront the coon

28 ga  won't chamber in my 32ga  shot gun

ran back out with 410....gun and ammo........point blank...shot size was mute
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:24 PM »
Planned on longer range shots today, connected on this one at 115 yards with the Sportster .22WMR...DRT

Earlier this spring, at 35 yards with the .410:

Makes a good short/long range duo...short range slug gun and longer range rimfire... 8)
Scott B.