Author Topic: Dillon 650  (Read 539 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Dillon 650
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »
Picked one up this past weekend....45 acp.....got it mounted, adjusted and in production tonight.

Wow....I've been reloading sense 1969.....sure wish I'd have done this many years ago.

Can you tell I like the machine?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline victorcharlie

Re: Dillon 650
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
So, I fired my first hundred rounds today......45acp..had one with no powder and the bullet stuck in the lands of the barrel.  Tapped it out with a wooden dowel but I'd rather not do that again. 

So, I need to improve my quality control......anyone use the powder check system with their press?

I'm trying to figure out what accessories I really need, and after today....I'm thinking the powder check might be a good thing to have...In the mean time, I guess I need to be a little more visual and look in each and every case before I set the bullet on the case.......just I've always done prior to the progressive.  Still thinking about the electric case feeder too...

tips? advice?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
My buddy has one with all the bells and whistles.  He can really crank out the cartridges!  All those do dads will just speed up the process if you shoot a lot.  The only thing slowing him down is putting the primers into the tube.

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »
Always look in every case even if you have a powder check die.    Just saying.  I have done the same as you and it cost me a DNF at a match.

Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
Always look in every case even if you have a powder check die.    Just saying.  I have done the same as you and it cost me a DNF at a match.

Yes sir, that's good advice and normally what I do.  Not sure how the non-charged round made it through but suspect it may have been during setup and initial run it.  Still, it worries me.  If this had been a revolver it might have been a lot worse, but with the 1911, it was just a failure to feed the next round.....

I see an electric case feeder and powder check system in my future.....
Barry Goldwater

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »
VC,
The 650 is an excellent choice in a progressive press. Lots of things going on at the same time when it's in operation, especially if coming from single stage reloading. I've been reloading for about the same amount of time as you and went through a lot of different presses getting to the 650. Wish I had made the change earlier than I did, but glad I finally got to the 650.
I don't use the powder check system, to me it's just another step in setup and change overs. I have LED lights mounted on my press that illuminate the entire shell plate and make it easy to see the powder level in station 4. I have to look at the case in that station anyway to place the bullet in the case mouth. I consciously check the powder charge in every case. So far it has worked for me on progressives for the last 15yrs.
The powder check system would be redundant safety check if you don't mind the extra trouble when making caliber or load changes.
Enjoy your 650!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,