Author Topic: ruger new model super blackhawk  (Read 702 times)

Offline mmt7714

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
ruger new model super blackhawk
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
Well, just traded for my first blackhawk the other day. It's a new model super blackhawk with 5.5 inch barrel, fluted cylinder, and round trigger guard and of course 44 mag. I shot it the other day for the first time with some 240 cast running about 1200 fps and it was nice. Obviously it was stout as it is a 44 mag, but not uncontrolable or uncomfortable. Then I ran some factory hornady xtp's 240gr at around 1350 or so and it was stout to say the least. My middle finger on my gun hand took a beating. Still fun though. I guess my question is what is a good working load for this gun. Something easy to shoot, not too much felt recoil, but capable of doing the job whatever that may be. I live in the southeast so I won't be encountering grizzly bears. Deer during season at fairly close range, and the occasional vermin like coons, coyotes, etc... Maybe the odd sasquatch hear and there.

Mike

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: ruger new model super blackhawk
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
Mike-

Tried a lot of loads thru a lot of 44 mag revolvers.  Personally, I like between 6 and 6.5 grains of Red Dot behind a 240 / 250 grain cast bullet.  875 to about 925 fps, depending on barrel length.  Burns clean, is accurate in most of my guns, and is an all around good field and target load when you don't need maximum power.  (Shown on Alliant Powder home page  "44 Rem Mag., 6.5 grn Red Dot, 240 grn LSWC bullet, 905 fps.)   Unique and 231 have also proven to work well for me, with 231 being a little cleaner burning.

For full power loads, 296, H-110, and 2400 work well.  That Hornady 240 XTP is a great deer bullet, either in a factory load, or loaded to 1250 fps or so using one of the above noted powders.

Hogue rubber grips are cheap to purchase and install, and will make your Super Blackhawk a lot more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads.  I usually switch out my pretty wood grips on most of my big bore revolvers when I know I am going to spend some time shooting the heavy stuff.  I don't care how tough you are, it is hard to be consistently accurate when that trigger guard his smacking your middle finger...

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline MNzach

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:35:13 AM »
For cheap plinking I use a 220gr Barry's flat nose seated to the shoulder and lightly crimped over 5.5 grains of titegroup. Its accurate enough to break clays at 100yds and has pretty mild recoil
Zach

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
The usual disclaimer... check a manual before using this...

My personal all round load was:

H&G 503 240 Gr, Keith Type Mold
19.5 grains of 2400
Winchester Brass
CCI Magnum Primers

That was worked up in a 7.5" SBH in stainless, 80's vintage. I ladder up and selected a balance between accuracy, recoil and power that I was happy with... and that's where I ended up.

Definitely somewhat less that an "Elmer Kieth Memorial" load to be sure. But it panned out well for me.

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:43:27 AM »
I've been shooting 44 specials through mine....7.5 grains of unique and a 240 cast lead bullet from Missouri bullet company.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater