Author Topic: Ultra-dots for Ruger revolvers?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline RLS@home

• Trade Count: (3)
Ultra-dots for Ruger revolvers?
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
Considering moving to optics for my Ruger RH .44 and SRH .454, my eyes ain't what they used to be...
Considering a red-dot non-magnification style sight & I've heard good things about the Ultra-dots. Wondering, for those that use 'em:
1. how they'll hold up to .44 & .454 rounds in a revolver?
2. what kind of battery life I can expect with 'em?
3. what's the accuracy potential with them / how much of the target does the dot cover?
4. any other/better options or concerns I'm missing?
thanks in advance for any feedback!
Randy

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ultra-dots for Ruger revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:45 AM »
This is somewhat a subject I can comment on. I have two hunting handguns, a NMBH in 45 colt and a S&W model 657 Classic Hunter. Both have had scopes mounted on them. Both have had red dots and pistol scopes. To me a scope on the blackhawk was ugly and useless. It shot ok with both. But it was not convenient. A 45 colt with a 5-1/2 barrel is not for scopes. I use a One Ragged Hole rear site and it is just right fo me. 25y, quick cross draw and hits what I aim at and looks good. I carry it always when out.

The 657 has a 6-1/2 barrel and shoots like a laser from the bench. Had a 2X pistol scope. Shot 4" at 100y. But in the field was difficult to hold steady and shoot. 25y was max free hand and even rested, tree branch, 50y was max for me. Cheap scope not a long eye relief, from the bench great. I now have a Millot red dot, 1" tube, no eye relief necessary, and although not as accurate much easier to use. Much more confident shooting out to 75y. Two eyes open and all I see is the target and the dot. This comparable to the scopes you mentioned in size. My battery lasts for a week on all the time. Forgetting to turn it off. I have never had a dead battery. I have 11 settings, depends on conditions. Bright sunlight must be turned up to about 8 and it does cover the target at long distance. In the woods shady, about 4 or 5, nice. I have shot a few deer with this gun, bang flop at 30y. Most rested, one standing, best was 55y rested. My smith is comparable to your redhawks.

SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET

Offline Camba

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
Up until a few years ago, I had a sharp 20/15 vision and I could almost swear that I could have the rear sight, the front sight, and the target crispy clear so shooting open sight rifles an pistols was no problem.  I had killed quite a few deer (under 20) with 357 mag and most of them with 44 mag.
Then I decided to try scopes and red dot sights and there was quite a lot of fan that way too.  After some time, I started to go back to open sights as it was a lot easier to carry the gun and I never liked oversized holsters anyway.  Time passed (within the last 8 or 10 years and my deer hunting with the open sight revolver was really hard.  My accuracy went real bad until denial finally faded off.  I am getting old and my 20/15 eye sight is no longer and I cannot see the or line up the open sights any more. 
So, I been wondering about the One Ragged Hole aperture sight.  Will something like that work for me and my situation or it would even be worst?  The red dot sight will definitely will work for me, which I won't take it off the table; but I hear good things about peep sights for rifle and handguns.  How do you supposed to aim with that?
I think you and I are in the same situation Randy.  Sorry for throwing my questions in your post without your permission.
Camba

Offline buffermop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
I don't know about Ruger center fire revolvers,but the woodchuck I took out at 50 yds with my .22 mag single six with a red dot scope did not know what hit him.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »
I was always an open sight kind of guy, until I started wearing bifocals.  I have put holographic sights on several handguns recently, and they do work very well.  But to your question... I have a Redhawk (pictured) that has had an Ultra Dot installed since about 1980 or so.  It is the standard model, with I believe a 4 inch dot.  It has held up to thousands of heavy magnum loads without issue.  You can get more expensive red dot sight, like Aimpoint, and maybe they hold up better, but I cant complain about the Ultra Dot.  I know the Ultra Dots are very popular with bullseye shooters, and I like their compact size.  I don't know what their real battery life is, as I just change mine every couple years so there isn't an issue.  They are cheap enough.  The sight works well in all light conditions, and allows me to keep a cylinder full on a paper plate from the bench at 100 yards, something I have been having a hard time doing with open sight lately.   I have tried a couple revolvers with rear peep sights mounted in place of the usual square sight blade, and for me, they did not work well.  They work a lot better when close to the eye, like on a rifle.

Something is screwed up on the site again, wont let me down load a picture....

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline MePlat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:42 AM »
Not being able to shoot a regular  'scope offhand is purely mental.
Once that is understood they are great.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue