Author Topic: Any thoughts on the 45 classic carbine?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline jsm88011

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Any thoughts on the 45 classic carbine?
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »
I've kind of wanted one for awhile now.  Of course they sell at a premium, these days.  So are they generally speaking good shooters?  What is a good target price for EXC or better?  Thanks, Beards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Any thoughts on the 45 classic carbine?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
I've had a couple of them in the last few years and had no problems with them at all. Good shooters and carry nicely. When they come up for sale they do command a good price but in my opinion they are worth the extra money. (you won't hear me say that often). The real good thing about the 45LC cartridge is it's versatility... when you think mild to wild you are describing the 45LC. You can literally take any game animal in North America with a 45LC Handi with the proper load. If you want to know what the 45LC Handi is all about get ahold of CWLongshot and pick his brain. I was a big time lover of the 44 Mag and kinda scoffed at the 45LC until he got me interested in the Colt and opened my eyes to what it is capable of with careful handloading. For all it's accolades the 44 has NOTHING on the 45... in fact I got rid of the 44's and still have a 45. ;)
So here's my advice for what it's worth... if you can get your hands on one and you've got the money GET IT! You'll thank us later... I promise. :)

Spanky

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
Spanky covers it very nicely and I agree. I would add that with minimal effort you can ream to 454 Casull, giving you even greater versatility.

The 45 LC chamber is a little larger than SAAMI spec and low pressure loads will suffer from blow back and cartridge sooting. The GBO reamer, with which mine was done by the previous owner, is a true rifle reamer and makes a very nice throat. I am given to understand that reaming to 454 has improved 45 Colt accuracy as well. I shoot everything from 185 grs cast lead over Trail Boss in 45 LC up to 380 grs paper patched lead slicks over a case of Black Powder. With copper jacket bullets of correct design, 250 grs at 2200 fps are possible and accurate. Next to my 444 Marlin, it is the second most fun Handi I own.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
I like mine.  I didn't like the straight grip stock with the metal butt plate.  I can't use iron sights, so the low comb was of no use to me and the butt plate bit through a tee shirt with a hot load.  I sold the butt stock and bought a matching checkered walnut Monte Carlo stock with a recoil pad.  That made me happier.  I'm shooting it more now and enjoying it. 

I have a .357 Blackhawk that I carry with my Maxis. So, in fact, I'm thinking about a  .45LC Blackhawk to go with it.  But then I want a matching revolver to carry with my Marlin and Handi .32-20s also........does it ever stop ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???   The only salvation for me is that one day I'm gonna run out of either money, health or energy....It's kind of a toss up which will happen first.  I can hedge my bet on the cash flow by getting Patty a second job :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ....I NEVER SAID THAT!!!!!!!!!!

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »
I've had a couple of them in the last few years and had no problems with them at all. Good shooters and carry nicely. When they come up for sale they do command a good price but in my opinion they are worth the extra money. (you won't hear me say that often). The real good thing about the 45LC cartridge is it's versatility... when you think mild to wild you are describing the 45LC. You can literally take any game animal in North America with a 45LC Handi with the proper load. If you want to know what the 45LC Handi is all about get ahold of CWLongshot and pick his brain. I was a big time lover of the 44 Mag and kinda scoffed at the 45LC until he got me interested in the Colt and opened my eyes to what it is capable of with careful handloading. For all it's accolades the 44 has NOTHING on the 45... in fact I got rid of the 44's and still have a 45. ;)
So here's my advice for what it's worth... if you can get your hands on one and you've got the money GET IT! You'll thank us later... I promise. :)

Spanky

Thanks Spanky!

Yup I am a long time fan, shot it on steel and fur works nicely on BOTH!

Handloaded will exceed the 43 magnum all day long.  ::) ::) I'm happy to offer opinions of different loads if you need them.

GRAB ONE IF YOU CAN!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jsm88011

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
Awesome feedback, 'Beards!  Just when I was wanting a reason to get something else that won't fit in my too-full safe.  Guess I'll be gettin' me one.  Hopefully not too far north of $300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
Only thing I can add is I want one.

Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
are the 45/410 barrels less capable with the long colt in a handi/pardner?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:16:41 PM »
are the 45/410 barrels less capable with the long colt in a handi/pardner?

Yes and no, only they need to be treated a little different... The Yes part is because of the SB1 receiver.

DOC is our resident GURU on these.

He can make them SING!  ;D ;D ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
Love mine.  As others said, very versatile.  I load them from 200 gr to 300 gr with unique, h110 and RL7. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline nframe

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
I reamed mine to 460 sw.  It has a large chamber and swells cases at the base.  I just size the front part and let it go. It will do about 2800 w 200 gr gummy tip Hornadys.  Currently playing with powder coated 500 gr Lee and IMR 4198.  I have the barrel on a reciever with a Handigrip stock.  HEAVY stuff is not pleasant with the steel butt plate.  Have had better and worse accuracy wise.  With the use of. O rings in the extractor groove you can shoot rimless rdssuch as 45 GAP, 45 ACP, 45WinMag.  The list is. afaik is the previous 3 plus 45 cowboy, 45 Schofield, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 460 SW.  I ain't gonna tell you that accuracy will be stellar with some of these, only that it will shoot them.   All in all it makes a good light carbine  that speaks with authority, even in 45 Colt, with proper handloads.  Mine might be the last to go because it will shoot nearly anything straight wall 45 you can find except 45 Auto Rim.  Use your own judgement.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
My 45LC Handi has been highly customized and is without doubt my favorite Handi. I've killed three deer with it and it barks with authority with heavy cast reloads.

Get one if you have the chance!

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »
i load mine with 300grain lbt wfp boolits and it will flat hammer a white tail.
never to much gun

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »
Did the 45LC Classic Carbine come on a SB1 or SB2 frame? PC
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
SB2 only.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Addition

Page 305

“Some Lyman customers ask if the 45 Colt can be loaded to the high pressures of the 44 Remington Magnum.  The 44 Magnum case is built to withstand the 40,000 CUP pressure level,…substantially more than the original loading for the Colt back in 1873.  Those requiring 44 Magnum level performance should trade their rifle in for one chambered in 44 Magnum.”

Offline Noah Zark

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 07:20:51 AM »
Picked a (hardly) used 45 Colt Classic up late last summer, in the box with all the paperwork.  It shoots where I point it out to 150 yds using 10 gr of Unique under a 230 gr plated lead bullet, or 8 gr of Unique under a 255 gr gas-checked cast bullet.  Nice, handy little rifle (pun very much intended).

Noah

Offline hpdrifter

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:12 AM »

Page 305

“Some Lyman customers ask if the 45 Colt can be loaded to the high pressures of the 44 Remington Magnum.  The 44 Magnum case is built to withstand the 40,000 CUP pressure level,…substantially more than the original loading for the Colt back in 1873.  Those requiring 44 Magnum level performance should trade their rifle in for one chambered in 44 Magnum.”

Lawyerese.

The 454 Casual testing was first started with 45 colt brass.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »

Page 305

Lawyerese.

The 454 Casual testing was first started with 45 colt brass.

EXACTLY!!

And BEFORE SOMEONE POSTS UP THAT IT USES ITS OWN DIFFERENT BRASS. Should know it was NEVER DONE FOR STREGNTH!! Anyone who feels brass alone is much more than a vessel to contain the powder needs to remember brass is a ferious metal.
Dick Cassull designed proprietary cases for the 454 to utilize a small rifle primer to better and more completely ignight is large volumes of compressed powders. In trying he routed my ran pressures over 50k without failure. It's done with strictor tollerances in the chambers.

Federal makes the thickest/lowest capacity cases in 45 colt. The cases to completely avoid are balloon head cases. But these are pretty well out of circulation. They are pretty obvious as they do not have the trouvé above the rim as most cases do today. If in doubt toss it out!

If anyone dosent feel the 45LC can ecceed anything the upstart 43 mag can do IS BEST advised to stick with the smaller magnum. ;) :):)::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »
I posted about two of the carbines for sale around Christmas down here in Louisiana for $250 ea.  Took awhile for them to sell???? :o
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
These two articles should dispel any doubts about modern solid head Colt brass strength, particularly in a stronger action.  ;)

Tim

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain