Author Topic: What would you guys do?  (Read 730 times)

Offline MAN - GA

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
What would you guys do?
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
this is my local gun store and they have had this gun sitting for many weeks and not one bid thru GB
thinking about going and offering them $160 cash and seeing if they bite - I figure it would be a good candidate for another 357max rifle and part out the 06 barrel here for cheap.  Gun is NL serial number and barrel is ejector.
What would be the most you guys would pay for a gun with the green laminate stock?  This is really the reason it keeps coming up in the back of my mind and wanting to setup a 357max for an adult so I don't have to shoot the one I have for the kids with a youth stock
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=391834310

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: What would you guys do?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:55:55 AM »
I'd go see it just for grins.   ;D   But I'd look it over pretty good.   :-\   It may be the pictures but it does seen to have been "rid hard and put up wet!"   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:57:54 AM »
Just a little too much for my wallet but prolly a pretty good buy.  I like the Camo lami myself, That is what's on my.45-70 right now.

If you can get it for 160-175 I'd be all over it. You can always resell the barrel and have the action fitted with a .357.

Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline MAN - GA

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:21:44 AM »
Richard,
I have looked at it several times and the pictures are deceiving - there is some dents/dings here and there and it looks like it got used in the woods which I could live with.  The inside of barrel is nice there is some copper fouling, but honestly it locks up tight and there is not much bluing loss on the receiver face where the ejector rides when closing action.  Ejector springs like crazy and I haven't taken the barrel off but just looking down inside the action it is clean, but kind of has a dusty look and my suspicion is that it has seen some 4wheeler rides in/out of the woods
I'll keep thinking the next couple of days

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
If you get them to bite on $160 go for it.  You could recoup your money selling the barrel on ebay.  30-06 with an ejector. :)
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »
I think $160 would be a good starting point.  Make sure you look it over good, following the Handi 101 sticky about shopping for a Handi.  Looks like it has a little rust and a bent hammer spur in the picture.  That could be clues to hidden problems.

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but first hand visual inspection will tell the tale.

BW

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »
If I still lived in GA I would go by and look at it. You dont see many Camo Lam 30-06 rifles out there. As to the hammer spur being bent I think it looks like it is the extension. I have personally sprung one out that way by overtightening it. ;) I think the initial starting bid is too high and that is why there has been no bids.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge