Author Topic: Working with the 410/45 Survival Stock on Additional Barrels  (Read 421 times)

Offline vacek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Philippians Chapter 2
Working with the 410/45 Survival Stock on Additional Barrels
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:15:25 AM »
I purchased as my Christmas present a nice H&R Handi Gun 2 with the short modified 3" 20 guage barrel and a 30-30 barrel... very sweet.  The barrels both fit the receiver of my 410/45 with Survival stock but once the handguard is in place the opening of the barrel to reload/eject is quite stiff.  I believe it is due to the handguard being slightly oversized causeing drag.  I would like to ablate down the surface between the barrel/handguard interface.  Would a dremel at slow speed with a fine grain sander work?  I also have a 22 Hornet barrel and a longer 20 guage that fits the receiver as well.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Working with the 410/45 Survival Stock on Additional Barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:36:15 AM »
BE CAREFUL!

Personally I would NOT use any power tools. That stock has a integral pivot so IF you go too far you need a new forend.

Lightly sanding by hand using something round and close to correct diameter AND FREQUENTLY CHECKING as it will NOT take much.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Working with the 410/45 Survival Stock on Additional Barrels
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
See forend fit in the FAQs sticky.  ;) I use a 1" sanding drum in my mill to fit synthetic forends, the diameter which is actually 1.1" is perfect to not change the diameter of the built-in spacer of synthetic forends, sand a little, then check fit, repeat until it fits good, not too tight, not too loose, be sure to keep the sanded surface square to the frame, otherwise it could be too tight on one side, loose on the other.  Be aware that changing a forend to fit on barrel and frame isn't a good idea if there are multiple barrels to be used with the forend as it won't fit the original barrel and frame, this is particularly important for rifle barrels, shotgun not so much. This is why many here that have switch barrel H&Rs have a dedicated forend for each barrel. A little bee's wax or paraffin on the frame to help lubricate the mating parts helps a lot.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain