Author Topic: Handi Rifles optics and bases  (Read 926 times)

Offline Jim Stacy

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Handi Rifles optics and bases
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
This has probably been beat to death but a question. What bases and rings do you use ? I have the weaver 82
that came with a Handi rifle and the base only has two cuts in it so the scope positioning is limited.  The scope I have has a moderate to large ocular bell and the hammer hits it . There are no extra high rings to be found locally so I will have to order the extra high rings to clear the hammer . That will clear the hammer but still positions to scope too far forward for reasonable eye relief. Have any of you used the "Iron sighter " base with the extra cuts . What do you use , thanks Jim.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Handi Rifles optics and bases
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
I had the same problem.  I hate the 82 base.  To get the scope where you need it, most often you've got to cut slots in it.  I use the factory base.  I like to use Bushnell Banners.  Except for my long range rifles, most wear the fixed 4x32 and Burris Medium Zee rings.  I've used the Iron Sighter, but I prefer the factory base.  The best advice I can give you, from my point of view and experience, is put that scope aside and get one with a smaller ocular bell.  You don't want to need a step ladder to get to it.  There are lots more options guys will suggest.

I almost forgot to mention.  I like Bushnell's circle X reticle.  You can use it as you would a MilDot.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:45:55 AM »
The Ironsighter is a good base, I used one on my 50-140 since it has solid cross pin support, but my favorites are the factory and Leupold bases with Burris Zee rings.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:24:23 AM »
Hi Jim,

I almost always grind off the tip of the hammer and fit an extension as low as possible so a low mounted scope clears the hammer.  Then put new notches in the 82 bases with a metal square to precisely scribe and a hacksaw-file to make the notches.  Just go carefully, and note that the 'front' edge of the notch is the most important to have square across the mount.  That's the side that the ring shoulder rests against when the rifle recoils. 
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »
The factory bases on my rifles all have several cuts, the Weaver bases that I have seen in stores for Handi Rifles are identical, but I do not remember what number they are.  That is all I have ever used.  If you do not have proper eye relief as it is, would having more options (slots) for ring placement and being able to move it to proper eye relief let it clear the hammer?

I have used the old style Weaver steel rings and the quad locks with good luck.  I have also used Millet Angle Lock rings with good luck.  I have used some off brand rings before on light recoiling rifles. (22 l.r., 22 mag)

I agree with Pete that searching for a scope without the elongated ocular bell or large adjustment ring on variables is the way to go.  This may or may not be an option for you.  Maybe if you can get a base that works better you can make this scope work with the bases you have.  It makes accuracy easier from my experience to have the scope as low as possible.

BW

Offline Larry in SD

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
Jim I sent you an email per a couple factory multi slot scope bases and hammer extension sets I found for sale on the net. From the photos listed on that web site it appears as though they are the same scope base on my Ultra Rifle.

Larry

Offline Jim Stacy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
Well I stole my Tasco Mag4 4X16 from my 308 and it is a longer slimmer scope and it makes me crawl the stock some but it clears the hammer by the proverbial hair from a red headed woman. A better base will help  but at least I can shoot it now.  If any one knows the weaver base number for the multi slotted base Larry describes please let me know. I am going to look at the local hardware store , they have some weaver bases.
At least I can shoot it now !! 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
anybody use the DNZ  one peice base & rings ??

if so what hights  work??.....i like my scope low...but handis don't like low

these rings  look nice and STRONG....but NOT very versitile
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Jim Stacy

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
With the factory base ,same as Weaver #82,high rings barely clear the hammer . The high arched hammer would work better if the hammer strut was lower but I guess it would not look as cool.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Try

HR 72920
 EGW 46200
Leupold #: 56515
Ironsighter #: IR-NEF M

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Jim Stacy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:26 AM »
Thanks my friend,Jim.