Author Topic: recutting a Lee mold?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
recutting a Lee mold?
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »
Looks like my post got lost in the melt-down so I'll try again:

I have Lee .410 238 gr round nose mold that I like for my 41 magnums. But it makes a bullet that is a little too pointy for my Marlin rifle.

I'm looking for advice on how to get the nose area opened to a flatter point, so it would still feed well in the marlin but be safer.

Who could do it or will it be really expensive???

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mgreen98

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: recutting a Lee mold?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:32:40 AM »
Rather than re-cutting the mold, try resizing the bullet upside down when you lube the bullet. Let the ram smash the point into a flat point. A lot depends on the hardness of your lead and how much of a flat point you want. I do this when I am loading for my lever actions.

Mike

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: recutting a Lee mold?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
Great idea!  I'll try it.  My lead is pretty soft and the noses deform a bit with the seater stem. I suppose I could try a flat seater too.

thanks, I'm not a very experienced caster and don't have my alloy down real well.

I'd like to have fairly hard to minimize the leading in that micro groove barrel - but the little I've played with this particular bullet I've done ok for 5-10 rounds.

thanks again.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA